User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Northeast Rates?

Anyone know why the rates are so low coming out of the northeast? What is the highest paying rate you've pulled out of the NOrtheast? Any suggestions on what brokers have better rates. Any suggestions on were to get a good reload from the Allentown, PA area. Looking to go south on a weekly deal from that area or 100 mi radius.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You didn't mention the type of freight you haul, so I will answer in generalities. Rates are low coming out of the northeast because there are more trucks going into the area who are willing to haul for fuel money rather than deadhead out of the area. This is a supply and demand business. There are nearly always more trucks wanting loads coming out of the northeast than freight. I have seen some who have done well coming out, but they are far and few between. Anytime you get east of Pennsylvania you can expect to haul cheap freight coming out, providing you can find something to put on the truck.

I have a minimum rate for which I will go to the northeast. If someone wants me to go for a lower rate I will refuse the load unless they have something with a decent rate GUARANTEED coming out. That rarely happens. I usually count on a 350-400 mile deadhead coming out to find a decent paying load. I don't see the need to sit around at a truck stop in the northeast waiting on a cheap load. Rates are not bad if you stay in the northeast, but if you want to run back to the Midwest or Southeast, prepare for cheap rates.

Some brokers have better rates than others. In fact, I have seen the time when I have gotten a good rate from one broker on a trip and been offered a cheap rate from the same broker on the next run. It can be a crap shoot.

Starting out it is a matter of establishing some good contacts. You need to have patience. I have not seen a lot of dedicated deals, lately. You should find something coming back south without much difficulty if you don't care about the rate. It may take time to find something that pays well. There is one broker who calls me from time to time. He needs the equipment that I run and has decent rates coming out....when he has something. For a while he has a lot of freight and had a difficult time finding the right trucks to haul them. He freight is now sporadic.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
Anyone know why the rates are so low coming out of the northeast?
Ever asked yourself a question, why are the rates so high, going into that area? If you are pulling box, or reefer, you are lucky to get a bit over buck a mile...
Old 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Default Reefer

Thanks Gman, I forgot to mention i'm currently running a reefer for a company out of AR. running dedicated runs to NY and PA every week, damn good rate. If they reload me back it pays very well, but when i end up in PA we have to find our own loads and they seem to be extremely cheap. Like you said sometimes it only pays for fuel , if that..

Not looking to get rich coming out of their just trying to make a lil profit on both ends of the trip. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:08 AM
Senior Board Member

My rates I have gotten pulling a company owned van to PA, MD, NY, NJ, ect were always over $2.15+per mile, so the $1.25 per mile load coming out averaged out to a good rate. Plus the loads never weighed over 22K lbs
Old 07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Senior Board Member

well.......................who knows...........but here is an ad i came across..............
We are a rapidly growing refrigerated Trucking Company specializing in Full Truck loads to all 48 states. We are looking to ad owner operators to our fleet of highly qualified drivers to service our growing customer base.
In working with us you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Assigned AIR RIDE 2005 Reefer Trailer
- Next day pay processing
- Direct Deposit
- Fuel Advances
- NO WAITING FOR FREIGHT
- Quick Pay
- High Paying loads Rates for produce are now in access of $3.00 per mile

To Qualify you will need:
- Minimum 3 years experience
- Be over 25 years old
- Clean Driving Record
- No Criminal Background
- Tractor with Sleeper with Plates

We have freight Regional and OTR. Please apply in confidence by emailing us or call for more information 732-218-3685 x 110
please review our web site http://www.nrtrucking.com

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Mother Teresa

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. CHESTERTON

"Qui non intelligit aut discat aut taceat"
Who does not understand should either learn, or be silent.
The Mark Levin Show
Old 07-20-2010, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob View Post
Thanks Gman, I forgot to mention i'm currently running a reefer for a company out of AR.
i thought you were a carhauler
Old 07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR SILVER View Post
well.......................who knows...........but here is an ad i came across..............
We are a rapidly growing refrigerated Trucking Company specializing in Full Truck loads to all 48 states. We are looking to ad owner operators to our fleet of highly qualified drivers to service our growing customer base.
In working with us you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Assigned AIR RIDE 2005 Reefer Trailer
- Next day pay processing
- Direct Deposit
- Fuel Advances
- NO WAITING FOR FREIGHT
- Quick Pay
- High Paying loads Rates for produce are now in access of $3.00 per mile

To Qualify you will need:
- Minimum 3 years experience
- Be over 25 years old
- Clean Driving Record
- No Criminal Background
- Tractor with Sleeper with Plates

We have freight Regional and OTR. Please apply in confidence by emailing us or call for more information 732-218-3685 x 110
please review our web site http://www.nrtrucking.com
3.00/mile under 100miles lol

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Default Car hauler by blood

Ron, I was hauling cars until about a year ago, when I came up with this plan to buy a truck. I couldn't fine a car hauler in my price range that was worth the money so I purchased a tractor to try and save a few more dollars. I still keep in contact with my guys who are all hauling cars, speak with them just about everyday.

Trust me I miss loading and unloading and getting a good walk everyday. I miss the customers and the way they treat you @ every stop. I will def be back in the saddle soon, just have to do my own thing this time.
Soon as I can save a few dollars I will look into purchasing a nice car hauler. In the mean time i'm running from AR up to the NE every week and back. Pay is decent on the outbouand but the back hauls are extremely cheap.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 AM
Rookie

The truth of the matter involving rates is simple. Too many idiots take loads for less than it cost per mile just to get back into a good area. Last I checked it cost around $1.10 a mile to run a truck. With that said those who take loads for less; say $.87 per mile are going in the hole $.23 a mile. Not counting eating drinking sleeping or down time. What really needs to happen is refuse to take a load less than $1.50 a mile. Educate the brokers and shippers that we need to make a living too. By the way that comes out to only $22.00/hour in a ten hour day at 550 miles. Thanks for listening, Chris