User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Considering going independent

Just in the thinking stages. There is a lot to consider. Basically I'm looking for information. I know these questions get asked a lot around here. Can anyone point me in a direction where I can read up in detail so I can learn as much as I can about buying a truck and running on my own. Equipment, business management considerations, contacts, everything.

I've had my CDL for 4 years now. OTR for one year and I've driven locally for the past 3. I'm really just trying to learn all I can so I can right now.

Thanks.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Just do a search and you should find what you are looking for. The search is at the top of the forum page. You may also look for threads under owner operator. If you can't find what you want and have specific questions just ask. There is a lot of experience on the forum. Most are willing to share their experience and knowledge.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
I've had my CDL for 4 years now. OTR for one year and I've driven locally for the past 3. I'm really just trying to learn all I can so I can right now.
I'm thinking of doing the same. I'm an owner-operator with own truck and trailer... The first step for me will be taking a home-based course in freight management/load brokering. Something like this:

"HOME STUDY TRAINING

LoadSchool.com is designed for those Do It Yourselfers who are interested and qualified to open their own home based business, get their License on their own and find and build their own Shipper following. This program is the BASIC TEXT BOOKS and DVD’s s of all of our HANDS ON programming listed above. Work at your own pace, and when ready, go on line - TEST and receive JOURNEYMAN Certification. Most buyers find this program so intriguing, that they save up and eventually come to a HANDS ON class later. You will receive some credit for this purchase off your future HANDS ON TUITION purchase.

PROGRAM INCLUDES; the TEXT Books, The NEW Guide to Understanding Brokering© , The Transportation Brokering Operations Manual© and the 4 DVDS; #1 “Trucking & Brokering Marketplace”; #2, Transportation “Marketing & Sales”; #3 “ Freight Rate Development and Broker Operations”, #4 “Negotiations & Claims”, TEST QUESTIONAIRE for final ON LINE Testing and Certification.

HOME STUDY TUITION ORDER NUMBER:
LSC** $ 799** includes shipping"

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-03-2010, 01:51 AM

Here is my sort of Sears Wishbook goal. I don't know if it's realistic or not,
I'd like to buy a truck and probably a flatbed trailer.
I live in Rockford Ill, roughly 2 hours from Chicago, and about the same from Milwaukee.
I'd like run locally. My ideal would be 8-11 hrs a day.
I'd like to use wireless internet on a laptop to find loads, and run the software necessary to manage the business end.

I understand that all of this is really vague. I used to run regionally, but I know little about local. I see drivers with dump haulers. I see flatbedders haul building materials. I see drivers haul for farmers. I'm trying to figure out what the possibilities are.

thanks
Old 06-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have met a few flatbedders who run from Detroit to Chicago and back on a regular basis. I think that you will need to find a dedicated run to do what you want. If that is your plan you could check with some shippers or large brokerage firms to see if they could work with you to implement a plan. There is a lot of steel moving around the Midwest. Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio are good steel hauling areas. I don't know if you can get home daily, but you should manage to be home more often than if you lived in many other areas of the country. We are still in a volatile economy. You may find that you will need to make adjustments in order to keep your truck moving should the economy disintegrate again. It is important to be flexible. I think that you live in one of the better areas to do what you want.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM
Senior Board Member

Keep this in mind. brokers, shippers, & dispatchers will all lie to you. not all the time, & there are good ones. everyone has their picks/pets. it is policy everywhere I have been. though not openly. I can deal with it, cause I know it is part of the business. I'm telling you this, not to discourage you, but so you know to expect it at some time.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
you could check with some shippers or large brokerage firms to see if they could work with you to implement a plan.
Do you have any recommendations on who to contact?

At what point do I start lining up contacts and jobs, and at what point do I buy the truck/trailer?

What would be a realistic income figure?

Quote:
I don't know if you can get home daily, but you should manage to be home more often than if you lived in many other areas of the country. We are still in a volatile economy. You may find that you will need to make adjustments in order to keep your truck moving should the economy disintegrate again. It is important to be flexible. I think that you live in one of the better areas to do what you want.
Thanks. That's about what I was hoping to hear. Like I said above, this is my 'Wishbook' scenario. I know reality intrudes on goals, and there will be give and take. But I'm trying to establish a basic framework of what this will realistically look like once I'm up and running and then I can decide if it's something I want to proceed with.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
Keep this in mind. brokers, shippers, & dispatchers will all lie to you. not all the time, & there are good ones.
Honesty in other people isn't something I can control, but I do appreciate the heads up. One of the things which appeals to me about going independent is the freedom to choose who I'll deal with and who I won't, as opposed to being stuck under someone's thumb. If it's a win-win deal, everyone comes out ahead. I'm not interested in taking advantage of others, or being taken advantage of.

Obviously, one needs to be educated on the in's and out's of the business to make informed choices. That's one of the benefits of forums like this one. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Do you have any recommendations on who to contact?

At what point do I start lining up contacts and jobs, and at what point do I buy the truck/trailer?

You can't do anything until you buy a truck and trailer. You cannot even get insurance. Without insurance you won't be able to get authority. You will first need to by a truck and trailer. Next you will need insurance. Third, you need to apply for authority. Once you receive your authority you will be ready to do business. I don't know how many brokers will talk with you if they know you don't already have authority. However, it is never too early to start making some contacts.

What would be a realistic income figure?

That is a difficult question. Flatbed rates coming out of Chicago have been averaging around $2.00-2.50/mile lately. When you run short you will not be able to put the miles on a truck as you would running long. I would think that $2,500-3,500/week would be realistic. Most likely it would be closer to the lower amount since you want to run short. Keep in mind that it is the net, not gross that is important. You will not be spending as much on fuel or maintenance running short miles. I would expect that you should be able to do $500/day gross without too much difficulty. Another factor to keep in mind is that most of those loads will need to be tarped. Unless you have experience in that area it will likely take you longer than someone who has been doing it for a few years. The extra time will keep you from having the higher level of income as over the road. You might get into something that would enable you to have something that is dedicated, or almost dedicated. Your income would be more predictable if you are on a dedicated account.

Thanks. That's about what I was hoping to hear. Like I said above, this is my 'Wishbook' scenario. I know reality intrudes on goals, and there will be give and take. But I'm trying to establish a basic framework of what this will realistically look like once I'm up and running and then I can decide if it's something I want to proceed with.

Most people who have never had their authority ask about income. It will vary according to each individual. This entire industry has been turned on it's head the last 18 months or so. We have lost thousands of carriers and hundreds of thousands of owner operators. You MUST remain flexible and have a good work ethic to succeed in this business, especially during these difficult economic times. Most of us are doing much better today than a few months ago. Although things are better today than a few months ago, I don't expect this to last. No matter what you plan on doing, you need to prepare for the worst. A little over a year ago you could not hardly BUY a load.....at any price. Then we had some freight, but very cheap rates. I don't have big equipment payments and keep my rates up. That can be difficult to do when there is little freight. I will sit rather than take something that will not be profitable. If you have big equipment payments you will want to keep moving, no matter what the rate, just to fool yourself that you can out run the repo man. That has been one problem during the last 18 months. Of course, the cheap freight haulers have always been with us.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can't do anything until you buy a truck and trailer. You cannot even get insurance. Without insurance you won't be able to get authority. You will first need to by a truck and trailer. Next you will need insurance. Third, you need to apply for authority. Once you receive your authority you will be ready to do business. I don't know how many brokers will talk with you if they know you don't already have authority. However, it is never too early to start making some contacts.

How do I start preparing for this? How do I make contacts and start getting a handle on how this will all look when I'm up and running with a truck?

Thanks for your help.