User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

You can start checking around for contacts, but many of them won't give you much time or credence until you have your authority. You can't even subscribe to most load boards until you have active authority. If you know someone who s their authority you could see if they will allow you to use their password. If you are a member of OOIDA you could try their member sedge load board. It is actually a DAT board.

You will need to sign a lengthly contract with every broker with whom you do business. Before they will agree to do business with you they will need a copy of your authority, certificate of insurance and w9. It takes time to read and sign some of those contracts. I don't see a real need for such a lengthly contract, but so be it. It doesn't take that long to read and sign a new contract. I would not worry too much about it until I had my authority. In fact, you could make your contacts while you are waiting for your authority to get back.

You could start by contacting some direct shippers and tell them of your plans and give them a time table. You could also start with some of the larger brokers. You could lay some ground work and start making contacts, but it will be several weeks after you apply before you will have your authority back.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
You can start checking around for contacts, but many of them won't give you much time or credence until you have your authority. You can't even subscribe to most load boards until you have active authority. If you know someone who s their authority you could see if they will allow you to use their password. If you are a member of OOIDA you could try their member sedge load board. It is actually a DAT board.

Okay, so I need my authority to gain access, but can't get my authority until I have a truck. I guess my issue here is that there is no way to test the water and know what the possibilities are until I'm essentially up and running. So I'm flying blind.

I haven't yet made a solid decision that I want to do this. There is a lot of appeal to getting back on the road and being an independent. I'm willing to be flexible, but I also know that there are important things like my kids and my wife who need me around. I know trucking can involve hours exceeding a typical 40 hour week, but that's par for the course for most business owners. However, I'm not willing to devote my life to being a truck driver. I want the driving to a a part of my life, but not my whole life. It's not that I'm opposed to the occasional long haul, but my goal would be to get an early start in the AM, and be home in time to help my kids with their homework and have some dinner with my family.

When I was OTR, I drove, slept, and got home on the weekends. It was not sustainable. But I did a lot of thinking about how good it would be if I could find a balance between driving and everything else. I've been entertaining the idea of having my own authority for some time, but as a OTR company driver I never had any contacts or knowledge of the ins and outs of the business.

I want to make sure I know what I'm getting myself into before I start pricing equipment and signing contracts. I'm sure you can understand. Forgive my green-ness. There's a lot I don't know.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:51 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You can always lease to a carrier rather than get your authority. It would enable to to "test" the waters without so much investment. You will still need a truck. If you pull flats you will also likely need to either purchase a trailer or rent one from your carrier. It would be an easier way to transition to being independent. You can get your authority later.

Sometimes you need to just jump in. This is not a business where you can easily test the waters. The capital investment is too great. If this is something that you want to do then you need to make your mind up that you will make it succeed, no matter what.

The only difference in being an owner operator who is leased to a carrier and running your own authority is the insurance and paperwork. When you lease to a carrier there is some sort of safety net. Running your authority there is NO safety net. You either succeed or fail on your own merits.
Old 06-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super 8 View Post
Okay, so I need my authority to gain access, but can't get my authority until I have a truck. I guess my issue here is that there is no way to test the water and know what the possibilities are until I'm essentially up and running. So I'm flying blind.
One thing about getting a trailer: if you get to that stage, I"d recommend to RENT a trailer first (for a limited time) to "test the waters". I LEASED mine (the one in the pic, a Conestoga stepdeck) and I made some mistakes in spec'ing, but now I'm stuck with it and the tarping system for 60 months. Unlike RENT contracts, LEASES are basically permanent and they're 'non-cancelable'. Try a bunch of trailers first to see which one works best for your loads, and then you can either lease or finance it. This method can save you a lot of headaches, based on my experience.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 06-13-2010, 03:24 AM

Hey guys, I really appreciate the responses. I'm working on asking the right questions. Like I said, there's a lot I don't know.

I understand that there's a point where you have to make the jump and just go for it. I just want to try to make the best decision I can.
I know the option of leasing to a carrier exists, but with a computer, and wireless internet it seems like I ought to be able to find loads myself with relatively little difficulty. Networking with shippers, and finding out who around here has loads I can regularly score and deliver and haul back on the timetable I'm trying achieve will likely be more difficult and require time and experience. But if I could do that on my own authority and make it work, that would be great. I just didn't know if it was even possible when I started this thread.

The idea of renting a trailer is appealing. When I think of trucking I think of pulling a flat because that's what I'm used to. But I see guys that look like owner ops pulling dumps around here all the time. We also have a lot of farmers around here, but harvest season seems like a good time to get in hauling corn for them. I'm guessing you need a special trailer for that. So, would renting be an option for different types of jobs like these?

I'm just speculating here. I don't know, and I'm not sure where to find the answers.

What would a decent flatbed cost me to buy? Rent?
And as long as I'm on the subject, what would be a ballpark figure for a decent reliable truck?

Thanks again!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You should be able to rent a flatbed trailer for $600-700/month or perhaps less. Renting gives you the option of checking things out before committing on a purchase. Renting will cost more per month, but you won't have the long term commitment as with a purchase or leasing. I have seen flats selling for $3,500-15,000 used. A new flat could cost $20-30,000. If you take your time you should be able to get a good buy. I saw a Classic that looked pretty decent that needed some transmission work. They wanted $5,000 for it.

Before the economy tanked, you could buy a decent truck for less than $25,000. I would guess that you could start with one for half that now. In reality you could find both for $25,000 or less.

You will need tarps, binders, chains, etc., and those will cost about $2,200-2,500 new. You might find used for about half that amount.

You might check on eBay and Craigslist. I know people who have purchased tarps and equipment on both. You should be able to find a lot of motivated buyers around.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 AM

[QUOTE=GMAN;482204
Before the economy tanked, you could buy a decent truck for less than $25,000. I would guess that you could start with one for half that now. In reality you could find both for $25,000 or less. [/QUOTE]

How 'decent' are we talking? I know how to how to drive one of these things, but I don't know anything about fixing them when they break. The prices I see in the truck paper look to be at least 40k to 70k.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
How 'decent' are we talking? I know how to how to drive one of these things, but I don't know anything about fixing them when they break. The prices I see in the truck paper look to be at least 40k to 70k.
Super 8,

My truck is a 99 International 9200 with an M-11 Cummins. It had 630,000 miles on it when I bought it a couple of years ago. Very clean inside and out, all aluminum wheels. I paid $12,000 for it. It was listed on ebay but didn't sell. I was the high bidder and made the seller an offer, he accepted. I had it checked mechanically at a shop near the seller before I commited to buy, also had an oil analysis done.

I bought my flatbed from a small dealer in Atlanta. 1999 Wabash 48x102 Combo, air/spread, new recaps and brakes. It is a former Werner trailer. I paid $6,300 dollars for it.

My lightweight side kit was found on craigslist. Complete including aluminum headboard for $450.

I bought my chains, binders, coil racks, a headache rack, tarps, etc. on ebay for $1500.

Total purchase price for all-$20,250.

I haul steel with it daily. The engine, specs, and a light foot allow me to currently get 7.3 mpg.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:

Red Clay gave some real numbers that he paid for his equipment. If you check around you should still find some good buys. I read yesterday that truck prices are easing back up. That is good for the industry but could raise the threshold for entry. There are still some motivated sellers. If you have cash you might consider attending some of the truck auctions. Taylor and Martin and Ritchie Brothers are two of the larger truck auctions. I believe both list their sales on the internet. Some of the auto auctions also sell big trucks. I have seen some good buys just driving around. I would check the Truckpaper on a regular basis. Something to keep in mind with them is that they have regional editions. They don't always have the same ads in each region. Another publication you may want to check is The Big Truck Trader. You can buy a copy at many convenience stores.

Red Clay bought his truck right before the economy went down. I don't see any reason why you should not find something around the price he paid for his equipment. You could find something for less.

There is absolutely NO reason to pay $40,000 or more for a truck, especially starting out. You want a good truck but it is not necessary to pay a high price. If you are looking at Peterbilt or Kenworth you will pay more for the name. Both make good trucks, but they will not make any more money for you than a Freightliner, International or Volvo. When I look for another truck I have a list of things that I MUST have and then start looking. There are some things that I prefer, but am negotiable for the right deal. If you want a specific brand then you will likely pay a higher price than if you look for features. For instance, you may want a Detroit series 60 engine with a 10 speed transmission. You may also want a 72" sleeper. You may find a truck that has a Cummins but has all the other features you want. You could save money by getting the Cummins.

The last two trucks that I bought I paid wholesale or less for them. I bought one for less than $21,000 that had a $18,000 over haul with less than 100,000 miles. Those trucks were selling for as much as $30,000 at the time. The other truck I paid $18,500 and the wholesale price was around $21,000 at the time. The second truck had many owner operator features and I was the second owner. The original owner retired and that is the reason he sold the truck. I paid $5,500 for a trailer that had similar specked ones selling for $7,500-8,500 at the time. The seller had purchased a new trailer and was very motivated to sell. We talked 2 or 3 times before I made the purchase. He was originally asking $7,500. When I made these purchases the economy was doing well. Several months ago I saw an older Volvo at a Kenworth dealer that appeared to be in good shape for $7,500.

I NEVER get in a hurry when I look for equipment. When you take your time you can get a much better buy. I am a hard negotiator and will walk away unless I get my price. I ALWAYS check out any equipment before I write a check. If you are not mechanically inclined you may want to either pay a mechanic to go with you to check it out or take the truck to a shop and pay them to do it for you. I would at least to an oil analysis and dyno. You should also be able to get a good feel about a truck by driving it. I prefer to see a truck before it is detailed. You can spot a lot of potential problem areas by doing so.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Dealers are jacking the price up by 15-20k. This way they have room to negotiate. With a lot of companies going BK trucks are selling at auctions to the highest bidder. The banks don't have time to fool around trying to sell it for top dollar.