User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2010, 03:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Reefer Owner Operators ??

Gotta ??, whats some of the major issues you have to deal with when your an Independent pulling a Reefer?? I've pulled Reefer trailer most of my short career but i like to know what would i have to put up with as being the owner such as costs and maintance? and how are rates for reefer loads in this Economy?? i seen a couple loads coming out of Virginia heading over to Texas that was paying $2 a mile.. This can't be the norm can it?? Another question is whats the plus of having a 53 over a 48?? Most loads i use to pull wouldn't be loaded past the 48 mark inside the trailer..
Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 PM

The expenses you will run in to can vary greatly. Just like anything else there are good units and there are lemons.

I pulled a reefer for a company doing delivery of general goods for a chain of Drug Stores. The trailer was only 8 years old and looked really nice. It was a Great Dane with the polished Stainless exterior. I had nothing but trouble with the unit. In all seriousness, in 6 months, the unit never made 8 consecutive hours without failing and that was in the spring and summer. I found out later that the reefer unit was almost 20 years old. I told the company that if they weren't planning on replacing the trailer before winter I would not be staying. My turnaround point on the route was Sydney Montana. I told them I was not willing to babysit the reefer all night as opposed to sleeping just to save their merchandise. We didn't get things worked out so I left. Later that winter I ran in to my replacement, he was pulling a brand new trailer. When I asked him about it, he told me they froze a partial load due to the failure of the reefer and decided to upgrade the trailer. Imagine that. The unit was a ThermoKing and the problems they were having were all electrical.

As far as 53 or 48 foot trailers, I think the 53 foot reefers are illegal in some states because the unit extends the overall length beyond 53 feet. I know it used to be that way when they first legalized 53 foot trailers nationwide but that may have changed by now.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.