User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2010, 04:34 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
Trust me it is not easy and it takes 4hrs.
For one truck:

-- IFTA Quarterlies take me about 1 hour at most
-- Oregon road tax is filed on-line and takes literally 2 minutes to fill in 3 boxes and pay via debit card (just calculated and filed April's while sitting in my truck at the Oak Grove, MO Petro an hour ago)
-- KY road tax takes about 2 minutes (actually takes longer to address and stamp the envelope)
-- NM road tax takes about 2 minutes and may be filed and paid on-line
-- NY State road tax form actually looks like a full-fledged income tax form, but after the first time it now takes me about 5 minutes to complete and mail
-- Form 2290 (annual heavy use tax) takes about 5 minutes, but you REALLY should go to your local IRS office and file and pay that in person
-- Annual IRP (truck CAB Card / Registration)(in Illinois, anyway) takes me about 30 minutes to prepare and file
-- One nobody ever talks about (and I didn't even know about until I got their nice little form in the mail a few weeks ago) is Kansas PROPERTY tax that must be paid on any equipment that ran under your authority in KS during the previous year. This one is pretty easy to prepare and mail and took me about 5 minutes after my blood pressure went back down. I guess they get back to you by the middle of the year and tell you how much to send them. Anybody else ever hear of that one???

I am a control freak and like to handle all my own paperwork. I even do my own bookkeeping because I started to worry about what would happen if my accountant (who I used to mail all my receipts to) suddenly died. What might happen to my receipts?

Most of this stuff is just too easy to do to pay somebody else to do for you. Maybe if you had 30 trucks... but just one or two? I'd put all those fees in my own pocket, for sure.

Last edited by Musicman; 05-02-2010 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Rick View Post
I have an accountant that does all my IFTA, Tags, Heavy Road Use Tax, etc...., I just call in my miles and fuel to her every quarter, for the rest she calls me and lets me know when something is coming up and how and when she will need the money for it.

The charge is $60.00 per quarter, and my question is do you do your own or hire someone, and is this a pretty good deal on getting it done?

And is learning how to do these items hard to do?
Holy sh-t! That is more than my usual payment to IFTA for one truck. It took me about an hour to do the paperwork and write a check. The rest of the stuff was free to do also other than the stamp. Dude, you are throwing money out the window.

And I kept all of my records on a pad of paper, just added up fuel and mileage when sitting in the truck stop at the end of every week and or month.

Mike