User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 03:23 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Utility makes a pretty decent trailer as far as reefers go. A bit heavy. Usually by the time they are 12 years old or so, you start having floor trouble.

With the choice of Utility or Great Dane, I'd buy the Dane every day of the week.

And, like someone said before, CREDIT CHECK, CREDIT CHECK AND CREDIT CHECK EVERY broker you haul for. And check it often, 'cause you see, there's just no reason not to.

If you find a good CH Robinson rep, they'll treat you well. If you don't, watch 'em close. I have a great rating with them and have hauled literally hundreds of loads for them, but they are one of my last resort brokers. Theres usually something much better...
Old 04-14-2010, 04:42 AM

If you find a good CH Robinson rep, they'll treat you well. If you don't, watch 'em close. I have a great rating with them and have hauled literally hundreds of loads for them, but they are one of my last resort brokers. Theres usually something much better...

Do tell more..... what is much better????? I'm all ears.......

What about J.B. Hunts loads??? Are they worse????

Ever hauled for Tango Transport???

What about UTI or Bear????
Old 04-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_0755 View Post
That's a new one on me also. I guess I should check into that more. I almost bought a trailer in Memphis last Thursday. It was a 99 year model. I have pulled lots of trailers that are older and in much worse shape. I didn't think the trailer year made a difference.

You will find most of the paper companies will not load a trailer that is more than 10 years old. A friend of mine just bought a newer van so that he could haul more of them. I think that the only one's who gave him a problem with the age of his trailer were the paper companies. His other trailer was a 1999. I believe that the one he just purchased is a 2007. Age won't make a difference with most shippers. If it is something that must be protected more then they might check your floor to see if daylight can be seen. If they can see daylight then they don't load you. I think that those who went to 10 years or newer did so rather than having to inspect each trailer that hauls their freight. As long as your trailer is in good shape most will load it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Just because it's new doesn't mean the floor isn't broken. Remember when Pepe got his floor damaged by the shipper?

BTW...who goes around with trailers that you can see through floor? I guess they don't do pre trips.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 PM

I've picked up paper loads in Redwood, MS at the paper mill before and never had a problem. Now there may have been a discussion between the broker and the trucking company about trailer age and I didn't know about it.

When I backed in they wanted me to sweep the floor then the guy would inspect the trailer for nails, dirt and anything that would damage the product. I was never turned down because of my trailer and some was in pretty bad shape. As long as they were clean and free for nails I got loaded.

Might be different at different papermills though. I know Boise is picky. BTW that's an awesome stock to purchase right now. The ticker is BZ.

I know once I had a forktruck fall through a trailer floor at a shipper once. I was getting loaded with aluminum ingots. They were very heavy and the trailer was in very bad shape. Needless to say the shipper and the broker wasn't pleased at all about that one.