User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Like most people that work in the DMV she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about, or maybe she misunderstood what you were asking. I started at that site that was listed earlier and set up an appointment to get fingerprinted recieved my letter about 2 weeks later then when to the DMV and took the endorsement test of 30 questions, figured out why I missed the one stupid question and then left there good to go for the next 4yrs.

The only reason we keep harping on getting the hazmat is because you keep asking for a company that will allow you to do all the things you have stated and LS is about the exact perfect fit for someone like you. Or you could just find more reasons to keep dismissing this info or you could actually do it and get started already, no one is gonna hold your hand for ya.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more and more carriers start to make drivers and O/O's get the TWIC card, it's really no big deal either but just another cost of doing buisness.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:14 AM

What if I like holdings hands though?

I guess I can get started with Landstar and see how it goes. Guess it can't hurt. If nothing else I can get started with them and go solo if they don't work out.

I appreciate the advice to everyone. I want to make a few more gains on my stocks then I'll call them up I guess. I'd still rather find a company that is like them that does require a hazmat but I guess I'll never find the perfect company.

Gman said Universal Can Am. I saw an ad for them in a Memphis newspaper they sound ok but their load board had a lot of skateboard freight. I'll check them out too.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Dave_0755; 04-15-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:09 AM
Board Regular

Dave,

From your posts it sounds like many of the carriers you have spoken to or considered are large companies with hundreds or thousands of company trucks and relatively few owner/operators. They are accustomed to dispatching company drivers who have no choice other than to stay out for weeks at a time, and they probably see no reason to dispatch you any differently, even though they may claim to offer no forced dispatch. I also have laughed at ads for O/O's that say "...out for 10-14 days"... and then in the next breath say, ..."no forced dispatch". I want to ask them, "so which is it"?

If I were you I would look around for smaller companies, maybe with no company trucks. They can be easier to work with and in some cases be more flexible with what they require of you. You will get to know them better and be a person, not just a truck number. I live in an area where I could choose from many carriers to lease to, big and small. The only ones I really considered happen to have fewer than 25 trucks being dispatched out of here. Some have less than 25 total.

For your purposes, I do agree with the others that Landstar might be a decent fit for you, my small-company theory notwithstanding.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:35 PM

Thanks Red Clay. I appreciate your post. I prefer small companies too. Just they are hard to find since most don't advertise. You have to dig deeper to find them.

Most drivers out there are company drivers and they can't really see what the trucking companies are doing to them when they switch over to being an O/O. Trucking companies save a huge amount by leasing on trucks. Go quote an inframe if you don't believe me or the cost of a new truck. They make even more by getting a driver to do a lease purchase. Calling them O/O's is laughable in some cases. J.B. for example. I've heard that they make their O/O's govern their trucks. That may not be true but I've heard it. The companies save again by only giving a few more cents per mile to the O/O. They are getting a fair deal in some cases but not what they deserve.

That's why I was thinking about going the solo route. True brokers don't pay a lot but sometimes they do. I've heard of broker loads paying $3+ a mile. I've never heard of a company paying that to an O/O. Still some might. Most don't. I've had a hard time finding one paying more than $1 a mile + FSC. I KNOW I can get that and more going solo. Take the cost of a clutch and rear out of that and your losing money though over a company driver.

If I was solo I would say when I work and when I don't. Plus any profits go to me not to some company out there telling me when and where to drive my own truck. The loads might be more consistant with a company but I doubt overall the pay is better even with incentives, fuel surcharges, and tire discounts. I still see them being company drivers and employees not Owners. They do own their truck...true. I'll find what I'm looking for. If not no big deal. I can always go back to company driving. It's not a bad gig with the right company.

I'm not looking hard because I have other interests...being the stock market....right now. When/if I do this it won't be with a "non-forced dispatch" company making me work 10-14 days out with my truck anyway. Heck I was doing better than that as a company driver. I've always got home on the weekends as a company driver. Sometimes thru the week as well.

I guess LS does have the best deal going. I just really don't want a hazmat or to work for a major company like that because I know the BS that is involved with large companies. They have that babysitter mentality and that's why I left Swift. I couldn't handle that for more than 6 months. Still it would let me get my foot in the door as a somewhat of an Indy O/O.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Board Regular

Dave, After all the BS I will try to give you a honest answer to your original questions

Can you ave 1.50 a mile on your own, probably not the first year more like 1.20-1.30, expenses will be a lot more than you predict, they always are.

You will probably get screwed over buy a least one broker, think of them as used car salesmen, the ones with the ugly coats and ties and cigars. There are some very good ones but you have to weed them out no one can do it for you.

If you are looking for a company to lease to that will treat you as a adult you need a company that pays percentage and you pull your own trailer. Like I said before their trailer will create a problem, they want you to put it where they want, not take it home.

You don't want hazmat or TWIC, it will cost you loading opportunity, but if you don't wan't a background check for any reason don't lease on to a carrier, they will run a background check after they hire you. If there is a problem they will fire you.

Yes I can look at the Landstar load board with rates listed, and it has about 5 times as many loads as the broker board.

Being on you on is totally different from being a company driver, many on here have experienced it and have made mistakes and so will you, if it were easy there would be a better survival rate than 10% after the first year.

Good Luck which ever way you go, you will need it, last year was the worst year ever for trucking since about 1983, what one sees on the road does not tell the real story. Many are so far down they might not recover.

Now I would be happy to show you some real numbers, but only in person, not where they can be made public. I am thru Memphis several times a month. I will buy the coffee, I prefer the Petro fuel island, the price is right.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:24 PM

Wow Heavy you must have gotten some last night. Your a changed person. LOL. Just kidding I appreciate the help.

I don't have a background check worry. I just got my DAC--whatever it's called now -----thing in the mail and it's clean. I do have a ticket and accident but the insurance company said they wasn't worried about it because it's almost 2 years old.

I would like to know more about LS first hand and see how it works. I called back when I first started driving and I forget now what they even told me.

I guess it will be hard no matter if I lease, lease purchase, go solo, or go back to company driving. It's just tough having a driving job not matter what. 63 people started school the day I did and only 30 graduated. That was a wake up call for me right there. The instructors told us that 90% of the ones that graduated wouldn't be truck driving a year from graduation date. It's just a field of extreme turnover rates. 3 companies I've worked for in the past have either shutdown, downsized, or sold out to another company.

I guess I'm wrong but I was thinking I could purchase a truck with cash. A trailer with cash and get my authority and run regional. At least run loads where I could be home on weekends and take a couple of weeks off here and there thoughout the year. It's what I did company driving except for the couple of weeks during the year off thing.

No two are going to be the same. Like I've stated I don't need a huge income. My bills are less than $2000 a month total. That's paying everything utilities, expenses, truck gas. The works. Sometimes it less than $1700 on cheap bill months.

What I figured was insurance, plates, and permits being the only standard bills I had to pay. Meaning if i didn't pull a load all year those would still have to be paid. On the fuel, tires, and maintance I looked at those as rolling expenses. Meaning If I wasn't rolling then there would be no expenses. I know now I'm looking at it wrong. But I would still have money set aside after the purchase of the truck and trailer to cover me until I got a feel for it.

$1.20 a mile at 2000 miles a week is $2400. That to me is not a bad income before expenses. Still a breakdown will hurt and could clear the checkbook out. I read a post on another forum and a guy listed his expenses. He showed where he could make as little as $1.15 a mile with a $1333 truck payment and he could still break even. I think he was an O/O leased on to some company. I wouldn't have the truck payment though.

I'll post the breakdown of his figures and you can tell me if it's incorrect.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Company Driver: Profit and Loss - Based on 100,000 miles per year

Compensation : .34¢ per mile = Driver's Gross income - $34,000
Misc. Expenses, including meals @ $125.00 per week = Total Cost - $6500
*Tax withholdings @ 15% = Annual deductions - $5100
Company Driver NET annual income = $22,400.00
Company Driver NET weekly income = $430.77 *Tax withholding is estimate only at 15% average And now . . . the "owner operator": Owner Operator: Profit and Loss - Based on 100,000 miles per year
Compensation : $1.15 per mile = Driver's Gross income - $115,000
Truck Payment @ 1,333.35/month = Annual Cost - $16,000.20
Collision/Comp. Insurance = Annual Cost - $6300
Bobtail Insurance = Annual Cost - $804
Licenses = Annual Cost - $1,835
Permits = Annual Cost - $525
Accounting Services = Annual Cost - $725
Tractor Fuel = Annual Cost - $39,397.06
Truck Wash = Annual Cost - $701
Telephone = Annual Cost - $1,624
Meals = Annual Cost - $6500
Tolls = Annual Estimated Cost - $1,275
Taxes (Road, Use, Fuel) - $1,755
Taxes (Personal @ 15%) - Annual Cost - $17,250
Misc. Expenses - Annual Cost - $500
Maintenance @ .06¢ per mile = Annual Cost - $6000
Total Income to Owner Operator = $115,000
Total Cost of Operation = $101,191.26
Owner Operator NET annual income = $13,808.74
Owner Operator NET weekly income = $265.55

These are the figures I was talking about. He was comparing his profit of company driving to profit of being an O/O. The fuel is costs stated seems a little low but is everthing else correct? I'm not saying it's a perfect template for everyone to go by but at least it's something. Just wondering how far off he is or if he's blowing smoke.

Last edited by Dave_0755; 04-15-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Board Member

I have an idea, this going to sound really radical, but it just might work
here it is
why dont you just do whatever you think is best for you and ignore all the advice?
I know everyone is just trying to help, but every situation is different
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Honestly thats the best idea I have heard Fredog. LOL

I mean I believe SOME people that post here....others I don't think could make a drinkable cup of coffee. Much less balance a income vs expense sheet.

When I called C.H.Robinson that guy said anyone should be able to make it on $1.50 a mile no problem as long as expenses/fuel didn't get out of hand. Especially with a paid for truck and trailer.But that's C.H. Robinson talking. I know they just keep cheating and cheating truckers out of money. I know their stock is bouncing and earnings keep increasing so you guys maybe on to something.

I just enjoy some of the conversations here. It's a good break from charting stock after stock after stock.........................man that gets old. But guess what!!!! I increased my gain to 18% on ANX today. Plus they are going to the FDA for approval by the end of the month. That will make for a huge boost.Whoo hooo!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thrilled about that.

I have been updating my notes and going back over my stock list so far i've found near 200 stocks that are set to bounce. I'm about to hit big on some of them. Crap if I make enough I'll just hang up my trucking hat for good. J.B. knocked it out of the ballpark on earnings this quarter. If they can do it anyone should be able to.

It might be a good idea to get my old crippled butt off the road for good anyway. I know Heavy and some others will give a sigh of relief...LOL.

If you guys want to get into the market let me know i've got some good info on some picks here.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:59 PM

BTW.... Did you guys know that YRCW is trading at only .67/share. It went up almost 14% today and will release earnings that the company says will top the estimates on May 4th???

This company owns Glen Moore, New Penn, Holland, and Reddaway. Just a little advice. The volume of shares traded is up as well and that is always a good sign.