User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Dave...you talked with 30 "drivers" whom went broke as "Lease Operators"? That is very awesome.

I admit....the last year and a half have been tough for me. Keeping my truck "Up to snuff" has taken it's toll on my bank account. But.....my "Up to snuff" is probably different than that of others, so I probably spend more on repairs than most "Owner Operators".

Dave...I guarantee you, that you will never see my truck on e-bay. NEVER. My truck is paid for..has been paid for the last 2 years...and the biggest bills I have...are it's repair bills.

I am an "Owner Operator" by choice. That is right...MY CHOICE. I worked as a "Company" driver for 27 years. I made good money as a company driver. Mostly averaging into the $85,000 to $93,000 range, from 19992 thru 2002, according to the SS statement I just received.

When I moved down here, where I am, I had to "re-learn" my concept of "Company" driver. The wages on the Gulf Coast, for truck drivers, leave a lot to be desired. After seeing how it is........I chose to do something different. I bought a decent, cheap truck...and that is what I drive. Nothing fancy. Nothing to write home about. But it turns enough revenue, in this economy, that I don't fall behind. I do not have chrome anything on it. The chrome bumper, was on it when I bought it.

If you are going to base your decisions on what a handful of people you talk to, or one or two "Personalities" whom you choose to listen to on the radio or television, have to say...that is fine and dandy. Remember. Radio and TV personalities are PAID to say the things they say. Even Dave Ramsey. YOU do not know the entire story of the people whom went broke. You never will. Just as you will never know the full story of the millions of successful "Owner Operators" out there. Even if you talk to only a handful, you will never know the full story....because they are not going to tell you everything they did to be successful.

Solo379, Mike3fan, Maniac, DeJanh, DevilDice, Broncrider1....Fredog....and dozens more! These are all men on this forum, whom are successful "Owner Operators". Why do I consider them successful? Because...they are still surviving. They do what they do day in and day out, and pay their bills.

Rank, G-man, Chris1, RostyC, Merrick, Doghouse, the banned "Big Diesel", and several others are all successful "Motor Carriers". Why do I consider them successful? They stepped out and started their business(es), and to date, they are still operating their business(es). Yes..some have more than others. Some are new to this business....while some have years in this business. And yes....Some are struggling due to the economy.....probably most are. But that is life.

And...that trucking company "Owner", whom does not lose sleep when one of those "Owner Operators" of his loses an engine.....well...that is one sorry individual. He should be wanting every single "Owner Operator" leased into his authority, to be just as successful as he is. If they are successful, then his coffers are better for it. If they are not successful, then his coffers suffer the consequence.

Chicanery by trucking companies, tends to indicate their "Success". Look at Arrow Trucking. Arrow, at one time, was a "Premier" trucking company. It was a company to be emulated, because of the manor in which it's founder, operated. HE treated his people fairly. Not so for his widow or son. Mores the loss. Maybe........had I worked at Arrow in the 80's or 90's, I would have a different opinion. But from everything I have ever heard, J. Pielsticker was an honest man, who worked hard to build his company.

Now........my opinion of those I have mentioned here...Is based solely on what I have read, from their postings here.

For myself......Would I take the step and get my own authority. Doubtful. Only because I have other things I am thinking about trying or doing.

Last edited by Orangetxguy; 03-22-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: additionaL NAME
Old 03-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_0755 View Post
I just don't understand how you keep saying that the lease drivers are not paying taxes. If your under lease for a company they pay you and deduct taxes from your check. Unless they pay you 1099 style which is old skool. I don't know of any company except for Billy Bob's in Backwoods W. Virginia that still pays 1099 style. So wheres the problem with so many not paying taxes???

you obviously dont know what you are talking about, an owner operator is self employed and is paid by 1099, not just Billy Bob's trucking but ALL companies pay that way
a fleece purchase deal may withhold taxes, but that is because you really are a company driver who is just making payments on a truck he has no chance of ever owning
Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
you obviously dont know what you are talking about, an owner operator is self employed and is paid by 1099, not just Billy Bob's trucking but ALL companies pay that way
a fleece purchase deal may withhold taxes, but that is because you really are a company driver who is just making payments on a truck he has no chance of ever owning

Dang it Dave! I forgot to add you to that list!!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Dang it Dave! I forgot to add you to that list!!

Story of my life, I forgive you.
I was just wondering, where did he find these 30 drivers who went broke? do they hang around the truckstops and tell their stories?
Hell, I've been driving over 30 years and I dont even know 30 owner operators
Old 03-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

I think this industry needs more owner operators. Not just any owner operators, but ones that really know how to run a business and take care of their trucks.

This will actually result in rates being more stable, and more reliable trucks. There's no chance in hell anyone can convince me a company can take better care of a truck than a good experienced owner operator.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
sounds like you fell for a lease purchase scam and of course didnt make it, you dont understand the difference between lease purchase and being an owner/operator, you just know that your failure was someone elses fault and if you cant do it, no one can
BTW, I have my own authority, but find it more profitable to lease to a company, you just have to make sure to find a good company
Like I said I've never been a lease owner operator and i never will be. I just don't see the point in it. I sure would never be trapped into a deal where I made truck payments to a trucking company.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Like I said I've never been a lease owner operator and i never will be. I just don't see the point in it. I sure would never be trapped into a deal where I made truck payments to a trucking company.
I think you are confusing lease purchase and owner operator, they are 2 completely different things, I am leased to a company but it's my truck I say where it goes and when, they have nothing to do with my financing, they simply offer me loads. I can accept them or not at my own will, I find that I make more being leased to a large carrier, they have a humongous freight base and they save me quite a bit on fuel and insurance and tires and things like that, I also know my pay will be there every Wednesday and I dont have to worry about billing or factoring.
the discussion is interesting, but your opinions are just that, opinions and not fact. but I think you said that at the beginning
Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 AM

I guess I am uninformed. I thought all you needed to become an Owner Operator is a CDL, a truck, insurance for that truck, and someone to lease onto, and of course meet the requirements of the company you wish to lease onto to. Are you guys saying that you must register yourself and truck as a business first before you lease onto some one's authority???? If so then it makes it a whole different ballgame. I thought it was as simple as getting a truck then taking it to the terminal and having them slap some stickers and a base plate on it for you. You are just the "Owner of the truck" nothing more. I guess I'm dumb as a brick here. I got my idea's from all the Owner Operators trucks I saw running up and down the road. They just have the Company sticker on the truck and another above it that says "Leased to..." I don't see any that says Billy Bob's Trucking Company leased onto Joe Blows Transport. I would assume, if that was the case, then there would be two D.O.T. numbers involved. Am I wrong here???? If it's how I'm thinking. Then you go buy a truck and have the company your leased to put the truck and you to work under their authority. This does not make you a sole proprietorship. It does not make you a company owner either. Nor are you a business partner or business owner. In essence you are a company paid driver for the company you lease onto. So to me it's the company passing along the truck's expenses onto the driver of the truck. Granted they pay more than if you were just a company driver, but still, your just an employee of the company. Am I wrong???
Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM

The original post was about misclassifying independent contractors. To me an independent contractor is a person or company that owns his or her own business but leases their business/services to another business. In essence the two become business partners. Each having their own business separately but sharing profits from a single or multiple contracts. I think everyone here is missing the point totally. What I'm getting is this. The government is wanting to crack down on companies that are passing the buck. Meaning calling their employee's Owner Operators or Independent Contractors. I totally understand that you own your truck and you can choose who to work for. BUT. Do you own a business or are you a company paid driver, on the payroll, or paid by a 1099. Think about it. I know it's legal to own a truck and lease on to some one's authority. BUT. Are you really a business owner or just an employee of the company with an authority? It is confusing and misleading.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I guess I am uninformed. I thought all you needed to become an Owner Operator is a CDL, a truck, insurance for that truck, and someone to lease onto, and of course meet the requirements of the company you wish to lease onto to. Are you guys saying that you must register yourself and truck as a business first before you lease onto some one's authority???? If so then it makes it a whole different ballgame. I thought it was as simple as getting a truck then taking it to the terminal and having them slap some stickers and a base plate on it for you. You are just the "Owner of the truck" nothing more. I guess I'm dumb as a brick here. I got my idea's from all the Owner Operators trucks I saw running up and down the road. They just have the Company sticker on the truck and another above it that says "Leased to..." I don't see any that says Billy Bob's Trucking Company leased onto Joe Blows Transport. I would assume, if that was the case, then there would be two D.O.T. numbers involved. Am I wrong here???? If it's how I'm thinking. Then you go buy a truck and have the company your leased to put the truck and you to work under their authority. This does not make you a sole proprietorship. It does not make you a company owner either. Nor are you a business partner or business owner. In essence you are a company paid driver for the company you lease onto. So to me it's the company passing along the truck's expenses onto the driver of the truck. Granted they pay more than if you were just a company driver, but still, your just an employee of the company. Am I wrong???

Yes. You are wrong. :thumbsup: And...IN some cases...you are right.

You can be a "Sole Proprietor" (I am one such).

You can incorporate as Joe Blow Trucking / Transport / Cartage / ....adnosium.....LLC....LP....LLP...or INC.

OH....and you can even simply be a "Farm Operation". But you gotta get a USDOT number...and everything else that is required to haul "Goods".......if those goods are not grown on your farm.

You will have to register with the state you operate out of...IF you file for "Operating Authority". You might also want to make sure you register with those states...like Oregon and California, that require you to have "their DOT number" as well as your home state number and US number, to haul goods within their borders, that is not "Interstate Commerce".

As for the part where you are right...about being an "Owner Operator" and a paid company driver.

ACE TRANSPORTATION, DYNASTY TRANSPORTATION, TEXAS HOT SHOT INC, VENTURE TRANSPORTATION, and ACME TRUCKLINES, all list the "Owners" of the trucks, whom chose to drive those trucks, as "Company" drivers. Those companies do thjis, so that they may control the actions of those "Owners". As a company employee, they cannot chose their work. They can not turn down work. If told to sit in a particular area, after delivering a load, they must sit, as directed by the company.

Those companies that I listed....are some of the few whom do operate in that manner.