User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Need some Advice about Authority?

I have hauled logs since becoming an o/o in Sept 2006. I am still hauling logs, but with all the rain it has slowed down some and I have an opportunity to do some Flatbed Hauling in AL, Ga, and TN, which I am IFTA for.

Hauling logs does not require you to get your own authority, but I am not sure if I do some flatbed hauling how this would need to be done?

The hauling would be with the company I left to become an o/o, it would not be full time, only when I got slow and if they needed some hauling done. I will be hauling their stuff (they build Chicken Houses) on their trailer, to their job sites.

I believe this would be a great thing but just not sure if I need to get my authority and if so how hard is this to get and cost?

Looking for advice and suggestions on this as I could make some extra money, but don't want to get stung by not doing what is correct by the DOT.

I don't have a MC number as loggers don't have to have this, would I be required to get this as well?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I'm no expert, but it's 300.00 to get your authority. You can do it yourself through FMCSA website. You might want to call your insurance as well to let them know of your changes. OOIDA would be a good place to get some info on this. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

If you pull freight across state lines you will need interstate authority. As Rosty stated, it costs $300. You will need your insurance in place before they will grant you authority. If you plan on hauling ONLY intrastate you could get away with intrastate authority. Intrastate authority means that you pick up and deliver the same load in the state in which it was picked up. It sounds to me as though you will be crossing state lines and not necessarily picking up and delivering within a single state. It isn't difficult to obtain authority. The main thing that they are interested in is whether you have insurance. The feds require $750,000 liability, but most brokers and shippers require $1 million liability and $100,000 cargo. It usually takes a few weeks after you apply and get insurance before you receive your authority. You will also be required to have a registered agent in each state in which you do business. There are services which charge an annual fee, but you can have OOIDA do it for you at no charge if you are a member. You should be able to go to the safer system on the fmcsa website and find what you need to do. I did mine through snail mail. OOIDA will do the paperwork for you if you don't want to do it yourself. I don't know what they charge. There are also others who can do the filing for you. It isn't all that complicated. You basically fill in the blanks and pay the fee.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:37 AM
Rookie
Default gettinng authority

Couple of other things to remember when you get your own authority:
1. You are now a motor carrier. You will be required to have documented paperwork on everything from maintenance, a drug program, logs, when you did this and that.
2. The FMCSA's website has a nice checklist of things you'll need to operate.
3. You will need to pay someone to do your IFTA or file it yourself quarterly....(don't be late)
4. You need to hire yourself into your own little trucking company which includes creating a driver qulaification file (you can find the files with all necessary paperwork at the truckstop)
5. Since you are now "on the hook" for everything you do, remember all someone needs to do is look at your DOT number on the side of your truck and they can make your life a living hell with the DOT.
6. In the 1st 18 months you will be considered a "new entrant" which means you will be pulled into weigh stations and your paperwork checked randomly for compliance....even with prepass.
7. The DOT will come to your office (or home if you operate a home office) when it's time for your compliance review so they can determine if you are safe enough to have your authority permanent.
8. The number one reason people get their temporary authority revoked from becoming permanent is lack of belonging to a drug consortium (random drug testing pool)

H O W E V E R > > >

If you are willing to leap these hurdles, you CAN operate a business as a motor carrier even with one truck.

Good luck.

Robert Pena III
CEO/Owner
Rocketdog Express LLC