Apu-generator

Old 02-08-2010, 03:31 PM
Board Icon

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You did good Jack! I "Got" it!

Some of today's driver's haven't been in "the industry" long enough to have driven a truck equipped with a "Silver Bullet"!! Or a Cat 3208(the screaming meemies...run it till it blows...then throw it away and add another one!)....or an 8-v 77. Remember them oil spewing suckers? Or...are you to young?? :clap:

I was hoping somebody would catch that.
A friend of mine sometimes hauls dirt for a local construction guy that used to have a General with a 430 in it. They finally lost that 430, but they put in a couple gallons of oil in it every morning.

I might be a little young...., but it seems like I remember a V-8 Detroit that was a 2-cycle.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379

I was hoping somebody would catch that.
An owner-op in our fleet just lost his 2 year old Mack truck because the APU generator he had in it caught fire! The truck was a total write-off but the insurance company just paid off the loan. The poor guy is now a company driver and thinks of suing the APU company. I don't remember the make but it's one of those that went bankrupt not so long ago (I think).

I"m using a Webasto heater in my truck and it's enough. Had to replace the burner ($140 plus 2 hr labour) after 1.3 years but other than that it was a good investment (cost me Cnd$1,400 in October 2008).

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 02-14-2010, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member

I haven't had the real need to put on an APU until recently. Even now, it is not that critical but would be a nice to have option. I have a lot of space limitations along the frame rail, so am looking at the Kohler 3APU unit. Almost 200 lb lighter than the larger Tripac, Carrier, Blackrock, etc styles and uses less fuel (single cylinder engine instead of dual). Doesn't have AC electric, but it keeps the batteries charged (so one could still use an inverter) and provides heating and cooling. Is about 16" wide and can be mounted in line with the frame rail, mounted similarly to the other units, or even mounted on top the frame rail behind the sleeper. Kohler has a solid reputation for engines and generators in other applications and has a nationwide dealer network. The cooling and heat do not use any space under the bunk and is non intrusive to the vehicles existing venting system.

Reply Subscribe