User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going West with a reefer?

I think that it is possible to do better. I haul reefer freight between Bronx, NY and California. When going west I start from NY to Chicago for $600-650 mostly dry freight, after I picking up i Chicago area going CA for 2100-2300. I think maybe adding an additional stop off in Little Rock, AR or Omaha, NE would be beneficial. Still not sure about reefer lanes going West. Coming back to Bronx is not so bad $4500-$5300.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Just my .02, and take my observation with a grain of salt as I'm a leased o/o in a specialty niche...

It appears your NY to Chicago rates suck big time. At roughly 800 miles at 600 bucks and the OH/IN and possibly NY and IL tolls, you're taking an absolute beating.

The 2100-2300 ttt going 22-2300 miles to California, you're making a little money, but nothing to write home about.

I know a broker that does dry fright from Chicago to Denver for 2dpm, and Sony stuff to Alabama for 3dpm. He also has an abundance of salt loads this time of year, but they are super cheap.

From Cali, I wouldn't think it's hard to get 1.75 on your 3000 mile run. I get daily emails from Gallop Logistics with available loads, although the price isn't listed. Sometimes they send a separate email advertising $6000 for west to the east. If you google Gallop Logistics, I'm sure you'll find the page.

Likewise, you may want to change your operating areas. When I ran hhg, off the left coast, I'd often load for Texas and empty, then load from Texas back to the Midwest. I had to unload/reload instead of taking the trips from the west back to the midwest that I'd have to either wait for, or paid semi-decent at best.

Check the rates in different areas of the country and see if you can "pinball" your way through them going home, and possibly make some connections with brokers/shippers off the load boards. In the meantime, the load boards should have higher paying freight in certain areas, even if it is crap paying loadboard freight.

Also, following the freight isn't a bad idea. produce seasons (I hear ) change up seasonally. Florida outbound freight, Yuma AZ, and the Salinas valley always seem to be booming at one time or another.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Just my .02, and take my observation with a grain of salt as I'm a leased o/o in a specialty niche...

It appears your NY to Chicago rates suck big time. At roughly 800 miles at 600 bucks and the OH/IN and possibly NY and IL tolls, you're taking an absolute beating.

The 2100-2300 ttt going 22-2300 miles to California, you're making a little money, but nothing to write home about.

I know a broker that does dry fright from Chicago to Denver for 2dpm, and Sony stuff to Alabama for 3dpm. He also has an abundance of salt loads this time of year, but they are super cheap.

From Cali, I wouldn't think it's hard to get 1.75 on your 3000 mile run. I get daily emails from Gallop Logistics with available loads, although the price isn't listed. Sometimes they send a separate email advertising $6000 for west to the east. If you google Gallop Logistics, I'm sure you'll find the page.

Likewise, you may want to change your operating areas. When I ran hhg, off the left coast, I'd often load for Texas and empty, then load from Texas back to the Midwest. I had to unload/reload instead of taking the trips from the west back to the midwest that I'd have to either wait for, or paid semi-decent at best.

Check the rates in different areas of the country and see if you can "pinball" your way through them going home, and possibly make some connections with brokers/shippers off the load boards. In the meantime, the load boards should have higher paying freight in certain areas, even if it is crap paying loadboard freight.

Also, following the freight isn't a bad idea. produce seasons (I hear ) change up seasonally. Florida outbound freight, Yuma AZ, and the Salinas valley always seem to be booming at one time or another.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Seems way under the rate's. Long Island to CA is running about 4000.00. Chicago area to CA is 32-3500.00. Non produce from CA to NY is running 6000.00.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
Seems way under the rate's. Long Island to CA is running about 4000.00. Chicago area to CA is 32-3500.00. Non produce from CA to NY is running 6000.00.
Once I took a load from Brooklyn, NY to Los Angeles with a drop off in Phoenix. Frozen food. TQL paid $2700. Spend around 100 on fuel. It was my last direct load from East going West. I would be so to find any broker willing to pay 3500 going west from NYC. What they mostly pay is 2200-2800. May be I don't know where to look? For the most part I took loads out from InternetTruckstop or TruckersEdge
Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Stay away from the CH,TQL's and keep calling. You'll find who is paying more.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Board Member

How about we talk about going west "for" some reefer?
Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Rookie
Angry

I live in NYC, so was thinking will be better off with a reefer, not sure now. When started had a problem with a load, so didn't get paid $5500 (air chute was turn apart). Now it kinda okey, but need find some lines or loads. It's sucks so much!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konstantin View Post
I live in NYC, so was thinking will be better off with a reefer, not sure now. When started had a problem with a load, so didn't get paid $5500 (air chute was turn apart). Now it kinda okey, but need find some lines or loads. It's sucks so much!
Can you expand on this. Who tore chute, why wasn't load paid, who got the food, etc.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Senior Board Member