User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 PM
BANNED
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I will never understand why one truck operations think they can make the big bucks by running water to water, especially from loadboards.... You can gross the same amount of revenue by running regionally with less wear and tear on your equipment, lower fuel and insurance expenses....... Which in turn puts more money in your pocket....
Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
I will never understand why one truck operations think they can make the big bucks by running water to water, especially from loadboards.... You can gross the same amount of revenue by running regionally with less wear and tear on your equipment, lower fuel and insurance expenses....... Which in turn puts more money in your pocket....
but he said he went from Brooklyn to LA and spent 100 bucks on fuel. he can get rich pretty quick with that truck!!
Old 12-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredog View Post
but he said he went from Brooklyn to LA and spent 100 bucks on fuel. he can get rich pretty quick with that truck!!
For that kind of fuel mileage, I'd buy one for my wife just to run around at home!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
Can you expand on this. Who tore chute, why wasn't load paid, who got the food, etc.
Sure, thank you for asking. It was my f...ing first reefer load, sorry for using such words here, but every time I think about it it's running me mad. The air chute was torn from the fan. I thought it should be that way. Silly. Get loaded at Salinas, CA. Broker is Riolo. The load was going to Jacksonville, FL. They put temp recording device at the very last pallet (now I put it always myself at senter of a load). That devise for some reason was shoving alarm signal , but I was told it's ok. At receiving in Publix the truck was unloaded and they said that the load was hot. They refused to load it back, motivating that the lettuce was packed in plastic bags with "Publix" logo. I asked to take a look at recording devise, but was told to go to hell! Security kicked me out. Later broker told me that they maybe will accept half load, but it was my bad day. By the way I insisted to measure temperature of the lettuce from the tail, where the lettuce was supposed to be the hottest, it was 42 and 41. I think in the middle it was definitely ok. My insurance did not pay the bill, air chute problems are not covered by OOIDA. Later I got a bill for $17000. Didn't paid it. Adjuster from Riolo called me 3 times, I refused to pay. Why should I? Lettuce was ok, at least in the middle. It could be sold at salvage value anyway. They send some bogus pictures of lettuce in garbage container, probably they use these pictures not once. That is the story.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Board Member

There are no salvage "rights" on trademarked/logo'ed food products. Reefer breakdown would not pay because that is considered "driver error". No mechanical reason other than the chute which should have been repaired before loading.
The chute dis-connected at the front could easily have frozen the front of the load also.
Did USDA look at the load? What was thier determination of the quality?
Welcome to produce.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Konstantin,

Welcome to the produce business. Stay away from lettuce, cabbage and berries if you dont know how to handle those products when loading, enroute and at unload. That lettuce on the tail was bad or going bad at 42 degrees. About 6 years ago, I ate $17000 worth of lettuce and lost a load of cabbage the same year. Both loads werent pulped and I didnt tell the drivers to pulp, 3 pallets of the lettuce were brought straight from the field and loaded into the truck. Lessons learned, you are out of $5500, you could be out of $17000. The broker may threaten to sue, but they wont. As for your rates, you are definitely running for loadboard rates. Call Sy Katz in the market, he has loads back to NYC from all over the US. NY NJ PA to Chicago is not the move. PM me I can load you Queens to Louisville KY for better than that rate, then S IL into Southern Cal.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOAD IT View Post
Konstantin,

PM me I can load you Queens to Louisville KY for better than that rate, then S IL into Southern Cal.
Just curious.... do you pay for the advertising of your borkerage that you do on this site ???
Old 12-18-2009, 04:42 AM
Board Regular

The rates you mentioned here are not the real rates at all.If you get $1/mile back to the west anywhere, you should call yourself extremely lucky or blessed.

Also,like someone else said,stay away from lettuce loads.I got burned too when i showed up with the first 6 pallets of the load frozen, on a lettuce load because of the damn chute.That chute is extremely important especially on sensitive loads like that.

Best of luck.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Know what you're doing and you won't have issues with lettuce or any other type of produce.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Senior Board Member

sounds like someone put him with a reefer without taking time to show him anything or making sure he understood the operation, a few hours training would have made all the difference