User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Unless someone has customers already, I don't really see how anyone can drive a truck and dispatch and do the admin. There is just way too many other things to do. The truck would be parked more than it would be moving.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Senior Board Member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Unless someone has customers already, I don't really see how anyone can drive a truck and dispatch and do the admin. There is just way too many other things to do. The truck would be parked more than it would be moving.

:bigthink:

Brokers....THATS the way to get rich!!

:bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 01-24-2010, 03:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmon View Post
You should make more on your own, but sometimes the carrier you lease onto has better rates then you might get.
That's the main question! Take the calculator, and count. 70%+fsc customer freight, could be far more, than you'll ever get from a broker. It's all depends on a particular situation. You can't compare just "titles".
Old 01-24-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Whether you lease to a carrier or run your authority the object is to earn a decent living and enjoy what you do.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:15 AM
Rookie

I would be buying my own truck and only leasing on with a company for freight dispatching. I feel the same as what "rank" posted as far as driving, dispatching and doing the admin. with having your own authority. That would be overwhelming for me and I know I would get burned out in a hurry. I give those of you who do a lot of credit.

Gman, well put. That's what I'm after. Thanks again for all these great posts.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Whether you lease to a carrier or run your authority the object is to earn a decent living and enjoy what you do.

That's the key right there. be happy. cause misery loves company!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1 View Post
I meant lease vs. own authority, not o/o. I know I'll be an o/o whether leased or with own authority, but the own authority route seems really involved honestly. Thanks in advance for any info.
I ask myself this question all the time. I own a truck and a stepdeck trailer. I"m leased to a mid-size carrier in Ontario, Canada... When I pulled the company trailer they paid 70%, now that I have my own I'm getting 82%. I'm not sure I can get loads under my own authority and still make the same money. Insurance here is pretty expensive once you go on your own.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What some owner operators don't realize is that most of the major carriers rely on brokers and 3rd party logistics companies for their freight. That means that in some cases you will earn less when you lease to one of these carriers than if you ran your own authority. If these carriers mostly have their own freight then you could make as much or more than if you ran your authority unless you have some of your own freight. It is difficult to make a blanket statement about how much money you could make one way or another.

An advantage to some when they lease to a carrier is that the carrier will often have a dispatcher or at least an agent network that can help keep your truck moving. They will also take care of all your paperwork, IFTA and other paperwork. I am not going to say which is better. Running my own authority works better for me. I like the flexibility and freedom that it offers. I can also usually make more money than if I lease to another carrier. I don't mind looking for loads and doing the negotiating to get the best rate. Others don't seem to enjoy this aspect of the business.

You just need to find which is most comfortable for you. I have known of several who have gotten their authority and failed. I also know of some who have done well running their authority. I even know a couple of guys who gave up their authority to lease back with another carrier. One in particular is very happy with his decision.

You don't have to run your authority to be successful in this business. In fact, there are many owner operators who do very well. You also don't need to feel ashamed if you prefer to go back to leasing to a carrier after running your authority. I have had a couple of drivers to apply recently, who had their own authority. In their case, they only wanted a company driving job. They no longer want to run their authority.

Just as I like the freedom of running my own authority, there are those who feel right the opposite. They feel that running their authority is very confining. Some feel that leasing to a carrier offers them greater freedom. It is a matter of understanding your limitations and personality.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1 View Post

It's been a little over a year since I've driven a truck. I drove OTR for about 6 mos. and a year and a half locally before that. I'm learning that to lease on with a company they require 1 yr. OTR. Landstar doesn't take local driving into consideration at all. I can understand that having done both. So I've got to go back and get a yr. under my belt before this is even a possiblility. That will give me time also to really decide if this is something I want to do. I just want to own my own truck someday.
Sounds similar to my situation. I am trying to get back on the road after a bad situation with a local driving job went sour. That varmant company is bashing me, and making getting back to driving for a company about impossible. I am a good driver. I was aproached by Werner to enter the "train the trainer" program after only 2 months solo. I got my 6 months safe driving award. I was looking into buying a truck, and then aproach them as an owner/operator. BUT... it is looking as though owning your own truck does not help getting past that 1 year or more experience requirement. I have only 10 months of recent verifiable experience in a class 8.
Anybody have any good solutions?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most carriers will require from 1-2 years of recent experience. There are a few who will hire those with less experience. At one time CRST only required 6 months experience. You may check the company listings on this forum. It lists the requirements of many of the major carriers. The problem that any carrier has with less experience is insurance. It is very difficult to find an insurance company that will insure a driver with less than 1-2 years experience. The reason some will hire those with less experience is because they are often self insured. Insurance is one of the largest single expenses any carrier has.