User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have used them in the past. I never had a problem with their inspections. Who are you planning on leasing on with? Most carriers should give you time to get any repairs done and then get the mechanic who did the inspection to sign off on it. I don't see why they would send you home if you go ahead and make any needed repairs. If you plan on using your own mechanic to do the repairs, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and have someone else do an inspection before getting to orientation. That way you can get everything done before you get to orientation. I think what you are saying is that even if you pay for an inspection the company will do another when you get to orientation? If everything else looks good you could have your brakes adjusted and that should be sufficient to pass inspection. It seems that brakes and tires are two of the most critical things that these people check. You can tell if you have any air leaks. If those things are good then you should not have a problems passing inspection unless something else jumps out.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Co's and their insp rules make no sense to me. (some of them.) take my co for example. just a few months ago they implemented a new rule. every o/o leased to them has to get equip inspected at a certain facility. It is mgriff tire co. I dont mind since they are close & I know the folks who work there well. used to be, a o/o could go to the shop of his/her choice. I asked what about all the work all us o/o's have done by the different local shops? we turn in monthly maint reports on anything repaired or replaced, from tires ,brakes, to overhauls. what ever we have done it has to go on file in writing. I asked will we be required to have our equip worked on by who you say? they said no. you can have anyone work on your truck you want. go where you been going if you want.

I said that's my point. how can the shop who does all my work be o.k. but that same shop cannot do the vehicle inspection? if you take & accept my receipt for work done on my brakes & other safety related repairs, how can not the same shop be qaulified to do an insp?

oh... and the o/o pay's for the insp. reguardless of pass or fail. it is till a good co & they have no co drivers. o/o's only. just seems that everyone has a wacked out safety dept. they did say that this prevents drivers from filling out the form themselves & turning it in. or going to a shop & paying the fee while some one does a 1/2 a@@ insp.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM

Gman the company I am thinking about leasing on with is Trailer Bridge of of Jacksonville, Fl. Recruiter told me that even if you get trk inspected at TA or Petro their mechanic will still inspect trk and if they find something will still failed you, even if you pass from the TA or Petro. You will be asked to leave and get it repaired and could come back for the next class. They will not let you repair the problem regargless of how small it is.
Needless to say having second thought, still with my present company I,m paid percentage but the rate make it hard to make it. Sit 2 to 3 days before can get a decent rate.

Hopefully rate will get better arounf March. I do pull a van
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
they did say that this prevents drivers from filling out the form themselves & turning it in. or going to a shop & paying the fee while some one does a 1/2 a@@ insp.
And that's the reason company's pick specific inspection points.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
And that's the reason company's pick specific inspection points.
your right. but the same co that do he insp, have filled out the form in the same manner. a wink & a nod & sawbuck has gotten many drivers a good insp. no I am not making this up. this does happen.

the way I look at it is, if someone like myself who keeps his equip up & never has a problem, should be exempt from the b.s. & go where we choose. however if I were to fail a d.o.t insp, or if I have my equip inspected by my mechanic & later if fails a d.o.t. insp, I could see them saying I need to go where they say.

the reason why my co. did this is cause a driver turned in his inspection & 3 day's later got shut down. beleive me that driver needed to be shut down. his trailer was cracked in so many place's. the d.o.t. shut it down on the spot. not to mention the truck. I have no grudge against the co. they have ins to comply with. I just hate when one or 2 ruin it for everyone. that driver is no longer with us, but the inconveinance is still there because of him. I dont like being punished for what someone else has done.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vontrial View Post
Gman the company I am thinking about leasing on with is Trailer Bridge of of Jacksonville, Fl. Recruiter told me that even if you get trk inspected at TA or Petro their mechanic will still inspect trk and if they find something will still failed you, even if you pass from the TA or Petro. You will be asked to leave and get it repaired and could come back for the next class. They will not let you repair the problem regargless of how small it is.
Needless to say having second thought, still with my present company I,m paid percentage but the rate make it hard to make it. Sit 2 to 3 days before can get a decent rate.

Hopefully rate will get better arounf March. I do pull a van

They will not let you make repairs? I would have to ask.. what if you do lease on & have a problem in the future,going down the road. say you need to put a hose, belt on, or replace a brake line. would they allow you to fix yourself? or would you be required to call a service truck for any type of repair?

I heard over the radio a driver tell me that while he was in FL. he had a d.o.t. insp & his brakes were out of adjustment. he wanted to adjust his own brakes, the officer told him, if he was not a certified mechanic, he could not do any repairs on the truck or trailer. had to call some one out. this was about 8 months ago. if it is true or not. I do not know. the driver sounded sincere.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
your right. but the same co that do he insp, have filled out the form in the same manner. a wink & a nod & sawbuck has gotten many drivers a good insp. no I am not making this up. this does happen.

the way I look at it is, if someone like myself who keeps his equip up & never has a problem, should be exempt from the b.s. & go where we choose. however if I were to fail a d.o.t insp, or if I have my equip inspected by my mechanic & later if fails a d.o.t. insp, I could see them saying I need to go where they say.

the reason why my co. did this is cause a driver turned in his inspection & 3 day's later got shut down. beleive me that driver needed to be shut down. his trailer was cracked in so many place's. the d.o.t. shut it down on the spot. not to mention the truck. I have no grudge against the co. they have ins to comply with. I just hate when one or 2 ruin it for everyone. that driver is no longer with us, but the inconveinance is still there because of him. I dont like being punished for what someone else has done.
That's why the shop(s) the company use should be checked out. There are a couple of shop here that i won't take an inspection from.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
That's why the shop(s) the company use should be checked out. There are a couple of shop here that i won't take an inspection from.
I agree 100 % on that. if a shop does give a pass on a insp & the co finds that the equip that was inspected has violations, then I would expect the co to eliminate that co, from any future inspections. but when 80 % of our drivers in my area all go to the same facility for all their repairs & have never had a problem with inspections with this particular co, them we should still be able to go there. by the way the driver who had his inspection done that was bogus was done by a mechanic in another state. no where near where we go for repairs. I will say one more thing I forgot to mention. the co that does all our work & used to do our inspections is the same co, that our o/o's have had major work done & when the o/o could not afford the repairs, the co, would pay the bill & deduct out of o/o/ pay. the last guy had a engine put in. over 9 grand. the co paid it. no co would pay any bills to a co, that they thought did shotty work, inspections or otherwise. i.m.o.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:29 PM

Heavyhaulerss, this is the way it was told to me, if I take my trk to the TA or Petro and they passed me for the inspection and I come to Jville and their mechanic find a problem they will ask me to leave regardless of how minor, and I will be ask to leave and come back to the following class.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vontrial View Post
Thx for the replies, I am looking to leased on to a company and they said that they would accept a TA inspection. Will not go to orenitation until the 24th, if TA find something wrong I can get it fixed at my shop and let the company give me the inspection once I get there.
a lil confused. your 2nd post said the co WILL except insp from the T.A. last post if the T.A. pass's you but they find something wrong, you go home? am I reading right? if they accept the T.A's inspect, why would their mechanic want to look over truck ? they should either except the insp or not. my confusion is probably not with you, but with the co you are trying to lease with. I would see no reason to go to a place to have a insp, that can be over ruled by another co. if I am at a good co & doing well with them, I may jump thru some hoops, to stay. but I dont know if I would go to a new co, that has what this co has as far as insp policy.