User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Truck Inspection

Has anyone used the TA truckstop for there annual truck inspection, and would you recommend the TA.

Thx in Advance
Old 01-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vontrial View Post
Has anyone used the TA truckstop for there annual truck inspection, and would you recommend the TA.

Thx in Advance
NO, they all work on commision and are looking for something to fix, need it or not.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have used them before and not had any problems with them. I prefer an independent garage. Most dealers will do an inspection for you. I had my last inspection done at a local Peterbilt dealer. The thing that I don't like about TA is that they charge a shop fee for about anything that they do. I don't spend money with them unless absolutely necessary due to that shop fee. Most independents don't charge a shop fee. The important thing to remember is that you want a thorough inspection no matter who does it. The last thing you want is to have an annual inspection performed and then get pulled into a weigh station and have them find something that the people who did the annual missed.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Yes I have used them. At Landstar we are required to have our equipment DOT inspected every 120 days. The inspections can only be done at LS approved sites and almost every TA is on their list. As for recommending them, I would for certain ones and would recommend staying away from some.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:45 AM
Board Regular

Run from those TA mechanics like you would from your biggest fear.I would stay away from them in any way shape or form.Seriously, i really don't know how they hire mechanics.Just picking them up from the streets, i guess!
Old 01-11-2010, 07:46 PM

Thx for the replies, I am looking to leased on to a company and they said that they would accept a TA inspection. Will not go to orenitation until the 24th, if TA find something wrong I can get it fixed at my shop and let the company give me the inspection once I get there.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I would not go there. about 4 years ago while I was leased to another co, the head of the safety dept said all further inspections would have to be done by the T.A. after watching them change oil on a truck, I was not happy to go there. the co. rule was if the truck & trailer passed the insp the co would pay, but if anything did not pass I would have to pay. I stopped off i 77 in S.C. after 5 min they came & told me I needed a few things, that I did not need. for one they told me my cat walk was loose, that my trans support had grooves wore in it.( they were just 1 year old.) & a couple other thing's. I told them stop right there.

my cat walk is 1 ft by 2 ft. I told him I don't even see a place on the insp for a cat walk? I told him the bracket for trans has to have grooves in it. it cradles the support bracket. it is made that way from the mfg. one of the brake lines going to the drive brake chamber had a identification(metal tag) on it. he said it looked like a hose clamp that was loose. it was loose. it is just a metal sleeve.??? I went to call my co, & I as approached by a new hire at the t.a. he told me that they always find something. he went on to say that just about all co's will not let a truck leave unless everything found defective is fixed or replaced. he also said that most co's would not load a driver until defective parts are repaired/ replaced. I told him I dont give a sh# t this is my equip & I'll haul ***** out of here.

before leaving, the shop mgr asked me, why didn't I tell him I was not a co driver. I had already paid the 80.00 fee & took off. drove about 152 miles or so & stopped at the next T.A. an older man in his early 50's maybe took about an hour went over everything, even tire press. truck & trailer passed. I went to my co & showed him the paperwork on the first failure & them the 2nd done a couple hours later that passed. I said if I only went to the first one & told you what happened would I have a problem ? he said yes. what ever the T.A. said is what he would go buy, not what a driver said. but he said he wil have a talk with some one higher up at the T.a. I then asked if I could use an independent, or another chain besides the T.A.? he said no. since my insp was current, I pulled enough loads while getting set up with another co. Some T.A.'s may be o.k. I am sure of it. a lot of them hire people with no work ethic & not much experience. they may not pay well either.

from what I have seen they must give the techs a crash course on servicing trucks.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
I would not go there. about 4 years ago while I was leased to another co, the head of the safety dept said all further inspections would have to be done by the T.A. after watching them change oil on a truck, I was not happy to go there. the co. rule was if the truck & trailer passed the insp the co would pay, but if anything did not pass I would have to pay. I stopped off i 77 in S.C. after 5 min they came & told me I needed a few things, that I did not need. for one they told me my cat walk was loose, that my trans support had grooves wore in it.( they were just 1 year old.) & a couple other thing's. I told them stop right there.

my cat walk is 1 ft by 2 ft. I told him I don't even see a place on the insp for a cat walk? I told him the bracket for trans has to have grooves in it. it cradles the support bracket. it is made that way from the mfg. one of the brake lines going to the drive brake chamber had a identification(metal tag) on it. he said it looked like a hose clamp that was loose. it was loose. it is just a metal sleeve.??? I went to call my co, & I as approached by a new hire at the t.a. he told me that they always find something. he went on to say that just about all co's will not let a truck leave unless everything found defective is fixed or replaced. he also said that most co's would not load a driver until defective parts are repaired/ replaced. I told him I dont give a sh# t this is my equip & I'll haul ***** out of here.

before leaving, the shop mgr asked me, why didn't I tell him I was not a co driver. I had already paid the 80.00 fee & took off. drove about 152 miles or so & stopped at the next T.A. an older man in his early 50's maybe took about an hour went over everything, even tire press. truck & trailer passed. I went to my co & showed him the paperwork on the first failure & them the 2nd done a couple hours later that passed. I said if I only went to the first one & told you what happened would I have a problem ? he said yes. what ever the T.A. said is what he would go buy, not what a driver said. but he said he wil have a talk with some one higher up at the T.a. I then asked if I could use an independent, or another chain besides the T.A.? he said no. since my insp was current, I pulled enough loads while getting set up with another co. Some T.A.'s may be o.k. I am sure of it. a lot of them hire people with no work ethic & not much experience. they may not pay well either.

from what I have seen they must give the techs a crash course on servicing trucks.

I dunno man. I doubt they even give crapping courses to their new hires! I went to the TA in Grand Bay AL a couple years ago for an oil change....had the truck in the bay, got a shower, had dinner...work on truck still not even started. Asked the Tech what the problem was......... ..... He didn't know how to drain the oil!!

So I started talking him through the entire procedure. The shop manager showed up during the greasing process....wanted to know what I thought I was doing down in the pit....:smokin:....Told him that I was pretty sure I was doing HIS job.

I saw that kid at the Freightliner dealership in Mobile, there off of I-65, a few weeks back..........doing oil changes. He told me I was a good teacher. He has been with Freightliner there, since 6 months after I taught him how to change oil in my truck.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can't believe anyone who works in a truck stop doesn't know how to change the oil. It is mostly common sense. In any case, the manager should have been in the pit with this guy showing how to drain the oil and lube the chassis. I think that I would have asked for a discount for having to do their job. :thumbsup:
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Thx again for the replies,received an email from the company stating that I can also used the Petro for an inspection. I might just take my truck to the company and let them inspect it during orentation. Was told if it don't pass will be sent home. Personally I think it will pass.

Has anyone used the Petro.

Thx