Local OO's

Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Default Local OO's

I was wondering if anyone on here could give some insite/advice on running local as an OO. I see adds all over the place for OO's to run OTR but what about jobs like local fuel hauling, dumps, etc running a day cab - specifically around Tampa, FL?

I'm wondering if the money is strong enough to justify buying a day cab and then I'd need to rent a spot to keep the truck, probably $120/month or so (that's a guess). Could it be doable and profitable?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I remember talking to a company in my area a few years ago about a run that they had which was about 60 miles, one way. I don't remember the pay, but they mostly use their own trucks for that run. I would check around before making a commitment on a truck. In fact, should you decide to pursue this you may want to get a truck with a sleeper in case the local run doesn't work out. It will be much easier to find a place for your truck with a sleeper.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by GMAN
I remember talking to a company in my area a few years ago about a run that they had which was about 60 miles, one way. I don't remember the pay, but they mostly use their own trucks for that run. I would check around before making a commitment on a truck. In fact, should you decide to pursue this you may want to get a truck with a sleeper in case the local run doesn't work out. It will be much easier to find a place for your truck with a sleeper.
Excellent point. Even a coffin sleeper would probably be better than a DC. Thanks for the hint.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm sure there are plenty of container runs going to Jacksonville everyday that you could be home every night. Just expect 12hr days and about $300-$450 a day in revenue.

www.bttinc.com

Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Did I read that right, $350 to $400 a day in revenue? Surely you mean profit right?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have no idea what the gross daily revenue is for container haulers is but they tend to be on the lower end of the pay scale. Most of them run for less than $1/mile the last time I checked. In fact, I would not be surprised if many of them were still running for $0.80/mile. I don't see how they can earn a living. But you could probably get home most nights.