User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I bought a truck from my local International dealer. The truck served me very well. They sold it from a retired owner operator who purchased it from them when new. I looked at some trucks at International in Nashville. They have a corporate store in LaVergne. They seemed to have decent prices and the trucks appeared to be well detailed. I seriously considered buying one from them but decided to not buy any more trucks for a while. They have several corporate stores across the country.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I bought a truck from my local International dealer. The truck served me very well. They sold it from a retired owner operator who purchased it from them when new. I looked at some trucks at International in Nashville. They have a corporate store in LaVergne. They seemed to have decent prices and the trucks appeared to be well detailed. I seriously considered buying one from them but decided to not buy any more trucks for a while. They have several corporate stores across the country.
Thanks
Old 11-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Default Business philosophy

I should of added that the truck with the leaks wasn't part of thier regular inventory. It had been taken in on a trade-in and they knew I liked older 359 petes. They called me, and said they had not done anything to it, and asked if I would be interested in the unit as-is. at an extremely low price. They even went as far as telling me they knew very little about the truck and it was still parked in the same spot since it got there. I have a well equipped shop and from time to time will buy and sell older Petes. However the two other trucks I purchased from Arrow were from thier regular stock, and I ran them myself. I got years of good service from them. One of them I had a driver on, and that truck made me a fair amount of money besides paying for itself. I hope this clears up any misconception of Arrow/Cincinatti I may have left anyone with. I was trying to accentuate the positive and should have further explained the leaky truck. Thankyou for pointing that out.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Senior Board Member

with all the things on the, to check list, when buying a truck, I would rather see a leaky rear, or trans & know it, than to see a totaly detailed, steam cleaned truck that may hide something. like when someone wets down the truck to hide blemishes in the pic's. or spray paints the frame & over the dry rotted air bags to make them look newer. some may think if they can get you there in person they can negotiate with you. but now they have you in person. it is now easier to try to sell you the truck.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I prefer seeing a truck prior to it being detailed, too. It isn't so easy to hide defects when it hasn't been detailed.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Rookie

What you thing about werner trucks from international utc ?
Old 11-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some of the Werner trucks that I have seen on lots over the years seem to be higher priced than I would pay. That doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are over priced, but that seems to have been my experience. I don't recall how well they handle their maintenance. Some carriers are better than others. I know of at least one major carrier who only changes their oil at 40,000 or 50,000 miles. They only change the filters do an oil analysis and add oil in between. Just because a truck comes from a major fleet doesn't necessarily mean that a truck has been well maintained. You can ask to see the paperwork on how their maintenance was done. The larger fleets should have pretty good records. I have probably mentioned it before, but you can tell a lot about how a truck was maintained and driven by looking at it and taking it for a drive yourself. If a truck is pretty well beaten up inside, then the driver is likely not going to be someone who will take care of the basic maintenance. There are a number of other things to consider, but this is only one thing that I look for when I am shopping for another truck.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
Some of the Werner trucks that I have seen on lots over the years seem to be higher priced than I would pay. That doesn't necessarily mean that all of them are over priced, but that seems to have been my experience. I don't recall how well they handle their maintenance. Some carriers are better than others. I know of at least one major carrier who only changes their oil at 40,000 or 50,000 miles. They only change the filters do an oil analysis and add oil in between. Just because a truck comes from a major fleet doesn't necessarily mean that a truck has been well maintained. You can ask to see the paperwork on how their maintenance was done. The larger fleets should have pretty good records. I have probably mentioned it before, but you can tell a lot about how a truck was maintained and driven by looking at it and taking it for a drive yourself. If a truck is pretty well beaten up inside, then the driver is likely not going to be someone who will take care of the basic maintenance. There are a number of other things to consider, but this is only one thing that I look for when I am shopping for another truck.
Thanks