User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 12:25 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

At a $6000 cost penalty and a 2500 lb weight penalty, where's the justification for adding the third axle? Try as I might, I couldn't find one.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Senior Board Member

It would possibly work very well in the future. We have lanes where you can add LTL when you get into Canada. A good example is Illinois to Fort Mcmurray. I currently have a 48 foot tandem, if I had a 53 foot triaxle, a lot more freight could be loaded in Winnipeg. It would just be gravy. Everything else added would be additional, the original load pays well.

Also, we have access to a lot of Mullen freight. You could touch a lot of heavy RGN stuff with a trailer like this.

I'd need a lighter truck though. I'd be 34k with my current truck and a trailer like this. I doubt you could get a triaxle below 12k, maybe with a 48 foot flat, but certainly not a 53 foot step.

The only freight I've had that pushes me right to gross is lumber. After things pick up we won't be hauling it any more(it's already down to one a day from 4-5 a day).

Just looking at ways to generate more revenue. I'm currently on mileage so it's no big deal. Talked to the operations guy he said an idea like this could have potential, but you'd need an aluminum trailer to keep the weight down.

A lot of times I'll come from Illinois with a load, and they'll take my load and send me south. The Illinois load will go on a company all steel triaxle, and they'll load it right up with tractors and other stuff. But they weigh 15.5k or so, never go stateside. I could essentially have the best of both worlds.

As a good friend once told me "It's the trailer that makes the money, not the truck!".
Old 11-12-2009, 03:13 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I currently have a 48 foot tandem, if I had a 53 foot triaxle, a lot more freight could be loaded in Winnipeg.
Maybe. But you have 2500 lbs less available to you due to the extra weight of the third axle.

*I think*, with a 10'-1" tridem in ON you can go to 52,000 lbs. With a 10'-1" tandem you can have 42,000. Coming out of the US you might have ~34,000 on the trailer axles. So even with a tandem you can add 8,000 lbs in that 5 extra feet of trailer. Do you really need 18,000 (actually 15,500 when you deduct the 2500 for the axle)? That's alot of weight in 5 feet.

Is there really going to be enough to pay for the extra $6000 you paid for the trailer PLUS that 2500 lb weight penalty means you are permitting loads that would be legal on a tandem?

Quote:
You could touch a lot of heavy RGN stuff with a trailer like this.
You would have to pay at least $150 on each end to pay for a landoll. There's $300 gone.

Quote:
I'd need a lighter truck though. I'd be 34k with my current truck and a trailer like this. I doubt you could get a triaxle below 12k, maybe with a 48 foot flat, but certainly not a 53 foot step.
Lighter truck is a red herring because you could get a lighter truck with a tandem and get even more payload.
The quote I got from Wilson put the 53' tridem combo with 17.5's at 13,300 lbs. Our tandem with 22.5's weighs 10,700.

Quote:
As a good friend once told me "It's the trailer that makes the money, not the truck!".
LOL. You have a good memory and that was a smart man indeed!
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Senior Board Member

BTW, the reason I as looking into a tridem in the first place wasn't for payload....it was for braking. Those little drums on those 17.5's make me nervous. You may have that problem licked with discs.

Tridem may help your payload in QC tho. They go by axles there.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
*I think*, with a 10'-1" tridem in ON you can go to 52,000 lbs. With a 10'-1" tandem you can have 42,000. Coming out of the US you might have ~34,000 on the trailer axles. So even with a tandem you can add 8,000 lbs in that 5 extra feet of trailer. Do you really need 18,000 (actually 15,500 when you deduct the 2500 for the axle)? That's alot of weight in 5 feet.
The loads we have are around 42,000 lbs and are pretty concentrated usually. Sometimes they're only 6 pieces that can be two high, and maybe a total of 18 feet? That leaves a lot of room in Canada. You can add 6,000 lbs for the US, plus another 7,000 lbs when you cross into Canada. If I had a triaxle, you could add a further 15,435 lbs giving a total of about 28,000 lbs extra after crossing the border. Now keep in mind the load pays more then enough, but if I can fit anything on that ~35 feet of trailer and 28,000 lbs, it's just $$$ in my pocket.

Quote:
Is there really going to be enough to pay for the extra $6000 you paid for the trailer PLUS that 2500 lb weight penalty means you are permitting loads that would be legal on a tandem?
There's only one regular load I know of that would require a permit. Most guys here weigh between around 33k with a tandem anyways. I'd be at no disadvantage compared to them. I might even be lighter then some of them.

Quote:
You would have to pay at least $150 on each end to pay for a landoll. There's $300 gone.
Forgive my newbness, what's a landoll?

Quote:
Lighter truck is a red herring because you could get a lighter truck with a tandem and get even more payload.
The quote I got from Wilson put the 53' tridem combo with 17.5's at 13,300 lbs. Our tandem with 22.5's weighs 10,700.
I've seen a couple Chaparral quotes in the mid 12k range. I think being 32k-33k is a good range at my company, there's no point in going much lighter.

Quote:
LOL. You have a good memory and that was a smart man indeed!
Honestly I think I've heard it a good 3 or 4 times so far, from different people. One customer has 30-35 foot long pieces, and it's kind of a PITA doing the load levelers. With a triaxle I'd be able to easily put everything behind the kick. Saves a lot of time. A front slider wouldn't always work either. I wish I had one.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:51 AM
Senior Board Member

How did you arrive at an extra 28,000 lbs?
A landoll is one of those flat beds (trailer or straight truck) like a tilt n load or some go right flat down on the ground. Since your step wouldn't detach like an RGN, you would need some way of loading the equipment onto your step. A landoll is the way.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
BTW, the reason I as looking into a tridem in the first place wasn't for payload....it was for braking. Those little drums on those 17.5's make me nervous. You may have that problem licked with discs.

Tridem may help your payload in QC tho. They go by axles there.
I think the tridem is more advantageous than the 17.5 tires at my current company. However you always want to keep the options open right? Only thing is 17.5" setups cost a lot more in the long run.

It boils down to whether or not my company is willing to find the better paying freight that could go on this trailer, and not on a regular step. Thing is a few guys here have sold their steps and gone with regular flats. They have more flat specific freight than step specific freight. That could always change if Mullen gets busy.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:56 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I think the tridem is more advantageous than the 17.5 tires at my current company. However you always want to keep the options open right? Only thing is 17.5" setups cost a lot more in the long run.

It boils down to whether or not my company is willing to find the better paying freight that could go on this trailer, and not on a regular step. Thing is a few guys here have sold their steps and gone with regular flats. They have more flat specific freight than step specific freight.
Yep 10 flats for every step. that's always the way. I don't mind. I like being different.

Was talking to someone today who bought a tractor 117" high. He can't understand why the rate quotes are so high. "I move a lot of rocks, and these quotes I'm getting for this tractor are outrageous....it's only 15' long!". I smiled.

Last edited by rank; 11-12-2009 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
How did you arrive at an extra 28,000 lbs?
The loads out of Illinois usually are in the 42k-43k range. That puts me at or around 75k. In canada with a triaxle you can do 102,532 lbs with a triaxle. That gives me about 27.5k extra payload as soon as I cross the border. My company does it regularly. Normally when it's busy the guys that run the US never go up to Fort Mcmurray. It all goes on company triaxles.

Quote:
A landoll is one of those flat beds (trailer or straight truck) like a tilt n load or some go right flat down on the ground. Since your step wouldn't detach like an RGN, you would need some way of loading the equipment onto your step. A landoll is the way.
Ah ok, but one can assume that some of the stuff needing 17.5 tires would be craned on and off. I also doubt someone could build big/long enough ramps to go up 34" either, with a serious piece of equipment. Most are not rated very high.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
The loads out of Illinois usually are in the 42k-43k range. That puts me at or around 75k. In canada with a triaxle you can do 102,532 lbs with a triaxle. That gives me about 27.5k extra payload as soon as I cross the border. My company does it regularly. Normally when it's busy the guys that run the US never go up to Fort Mcmurray. It all goes on company triaxles.
Don't forget to deduct the 2500 lbs for the axle.

Hmmm OK. I checked my ON notes (for AB I have no clue). They are telling me 42,020 lbs on a 121" tandem and 52,800 on a 121" tridem = 10,000 lbs extra - 2500 lbs for the axle = ~7500 ish. You can't really count the gross because you get the drives an steers anyway regardless of the trailer axles.

Quote:
Ah ok, but one can assume that some of the stuff needing 17.5 tires would be craned on and off.
It seems (to me at least) that the heavier RGN stuff is equipment. Lots of excavators. The crane on stuff that pushing 11' high is usually light.

Last edited by rank; 11-12-2009 at 04:29 AM.