User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
you couldn't pay me to put one of those things on my trailer.

Last week I moved:
-2 loads 12'- 4" wide and they paid $3,750 each + permits and pilots on 600 miles.
-1 load 10' - 4" high that paid $1332 on 369 miles.
-1 load 10' wide that paid $1600 + permits on 500 miles
-1 load 10' - 4" wide that paid $1750 + permits on 603 miles.

All were no tarp. All of these loads were going into crappy areas, so that contributed to the rate....but still.

If tarping bothers you that much, increase your tarp fee and move more valuable freight. I disagree when you say OD doesn't pay well. I do realize as an o/o, you don;t have that much flexibility.

Maybe if your dispatcher doesn;t want you te get the roll system, he can pay you more to tarp.

We have a side kit that came with a Reitnouer step. We've never used it. Don't even know how tall it is.
"Tracer,in a "haul everything" type operation I think the roll tarp would be a detriment more than a plus."

This has been a very interesting discussion. Thanks to everyone for great input. I've talked to the load planner and my flatbed dispatcher, Cindy, and showed them the booklet on the Aero-Kit "Look" system and its limitations. They said they can work with me if I choose to get it, but:

- they usually quote to customers 47,000- 48,000 lb capacity on the trailer. the way my step is now, i can take 48,500 lbs with full fuel tanks and still be legal. the rolling tarp would take away 2,500 to 2,700 lbs from that.
- one of the our stepdeck guys converted his step to a "covered wagon" and they said he felt some limitations right away.

Basically, they said it's my decision but in their opinion - especially with eventual winter freight slowdown coming - it'd be unwise to put the rolling tarp on right now, as I need to be as versatile as possible.

Also, I see from Rank's posting there is some OD freight that pays good after all. It's just that our planners don't have it.

I did move some huge what looked like industrial molds/presses once (that make stuff out of plastic) but that was more of an exception because one U.S. plant sold these and someone from Canada bought them.

So, basically once again I've decided to keep my step open, at least for now - when I'm involved in the "haul everything" operation. If I get my authority later on and find shippers that pay big $$$ for a rolling tarp stepdeck, I might still get it.

I can't increase my tarping fee as I get 82% of whatever the customer pays to MacKinnon (including any extras for tarping). What I can do however is say "no" to a load of machinery or some similar stuff with multiple sharp edges that "MUST be tarped". Or I'll just get loaded and leave without tarping. This load of metal racks I just brought for the Volvo warehouse in Toronto made four 3" holes in my tarps and the forklift guy said all truckers delivering the stuff complained about their damaged tarp. No matter how many blankets you put on these racks one of them will eventually stick out and pierce a hole in the tarp. The guy said they actually didn't "need" to be tarped and it mostly depended on the freight broker you get this load from. So, the next time I"m getting these stupid racks, I"m not tarping period.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Board Member

I almost always call the customer to see if they want it tarped. It has saved me from tarping a lot of loads. It's frustrating to tear your tarps up for nothing.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
It depends on what you are hauling. I had two conestogas flats, my buddy right now is pulling a step with a conestoga up here in MI, OH, IN and doing quite well with it hauling automotive, which I used to do. And when I say automotive, I am speaking of robotics, controls, assembly lines, along with various machinery, dies and molds that can only be transported on a conestoga as per the the shipper/consignee. He is averaging $3.11 for all miles as of last month with his step conestoga. There is still a need for them, but like my buddy said, they have no idea how long it will last, this good paying freight. As they have been starving up until a month or two ago.

Even with my flat conestoga, it was nothing to get $3 to $10+ a mile moving these plants around along with the many emergency calls to go get this tool or die that needed to get swapped out and fixed. And they always requested a conestoga, especially in the winter.

Is it the right move for you? I don't know. Allot of the work we did was pretty much pick up, deliver and dead head back to MI asap, unless we had a load waiting, as most of our freight paid round trip. It was nothing to get say $8000 to run down to TX out of Detroit with a 10,000 lb load. And the steps actually fetched a bit more as there are not that many of them out here.

Are you guys hooked up with any of the big 3? Or any of the shops that build/repair tools, dies, molds, assembly lines or fabrication? As that is where the money is to be had with these wagons. Not to mention the time savings and virtual integrity of these set-ups to the weather in regards to protecting a valuable piece of freight.

If you have the freight, or don't mind expediting, I would give it a serious look, as they can be some nice money makers. Our motto was, the least amount of miles for the most amount of dollars, and the conestogas did just that.
You're talking about side kits right? Not a sliding system?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I almost always call the customer to see if they want it tarped. It has saved me from tarping a lot of loads. It's frustrating to tear your tarps up for nothing.
By "customer" you mean the consignee, where the load is going, right?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
By "customer" you mean the consignee, where the load is going, right?
Yes the consignee.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
You're talking about side kits right? Not a sliding system?
Slider.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Slider.
Really. I would be afraid as soon as I spent the money on one of those, there would be a bunch of loads come up that I couldn't do. Those are some great rates though. Would a side kit work just as well, or are there some shippers that only want the rolltite?
Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 AM
Senior Board Member

the added weight would nix the deal for me. I would have to turn down most of my runs, adding that kind of weight. I can haul 50,000lbs legal now, with a all steel trailer. most my loads are 48-49,500 lbs. if i had to I would go with a light weight side kit, cause if it dont work for ya, you can store it on board or leave it off. with a slider.. it is there to stay.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Really. I would be afraid as soon as I spent the money on one of those, there would be a bunch of loads come up that I couldn't do. Those are some great rates though. Would a side kit work just as well, or are there some shippers that only want the rolltite?
A side kit will work in some cases, like dies, molds and tools. But the interior height is an issue with a standard side kit. Allot of this stuff we put on these conestogas are items that if they could get them in a dry van they would. But dropping an 8 foot tall control panel through the roof of a dry van is not cost effective so they request a conestoga or a slider Roll Tite unit.

And you are right in regards to losing some loads, I can count many that I had to pass on because of width and weight. I topped out at 46,000 lbs and max 102" to 103" width, depending on if I had to use chains or straps. But, I will say that most of the stuff I had to pass on really was not paying that good, allot of those 50,000 lb loads of steel trying to get back to Detroit. Backhaul rates were better if you know what I mean.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I would spend some time talking to shippers and brokers before spending that much money on a conestoga. No matter what type of trailer you have there will always be a few loads that simply won't work for various reasons. Unless I had a committed account for a specialized piece of equipment I would not want to spend the money.