User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default paperwork involved with getting started, what can i expect?

Ok, I got some ideas as to the purchase price of a truck and trailer. Right now is probably the time to get one as the prices are extreamly low on used trucks out there. even some fleet maintained trucks are 19k and under. I even understand getting insurance to get the truck to my front door so I can park it isn't going to kill me but now comes the part that I would imagine kills most new O/O's or at least deters most would be O/O's from fileing thier own authority, the paperwork and leg work involved in actuality getting a truck ready for it's 1st run so you are 100% legit. I would like to know what kind of paperwork I need to file when the time comes so I'll be legal to drive that truck to pickup and deliver my 1st load. I know I could probably go through OOIDA or another entity that does this stuff to help truckers and might still go that route but beleave it would benefit myself to understand the paperwork trail myself, even if I do go through one of these independent fileing firms. thx.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

It's actually easier than you think. You file for your Authority, get approval letter, have insurance file with DOT,get process agent, get plates, get UCR, get signed up with brokers or shippers and go. Even Pepe did it.

Last edited by Bigmon; 10-08-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Sounds prety straight foward, where do you file for your own authority?

What Kind of insurance we talking about.

How much of each do I need to have most brokers even consider me?

process agent? Might you clarify what this is?

UCR is another new term to me.

Haven't heard anything about IFTA or anything about any tax papers I know I'm goinna have to file.

I know my friend had to fill out and file a form about heavy road use tax and probably some others.

Permits is probably something I'd have to call state by state. I know I'll need an IFTA, probably a KYU to start. Not sure if I plan on doing New York, not even sure if they still have a seperate HUT permit anymore but I'm prety sure I can get most of these things at the first weigh station in the state or just call ahead of time.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:50 PM

I learned a ton from reading through the stuff on the FMCSA website this week and they have all of the authority stuff worked out to where you can do it in a very self explanatory maner on there. That is as far as your actual authority and motor carrier number goes. You will have to go other places for IFTA and your KYU number if you choose to ever run through Kentucky.You have to print out the KYU application and mail it in and their site says it takes 7-14 business days to get it through the system once they receive your application. Do that through the state of kentucky itself and there is no fee for getting your KYU number. I think you have to get a UCR and that can be done online.You will have to get your heavy highway use tax paid up and get your IFTA started up before you can get your plates if i am not mistaken. You have to get signed up with a BOC-3 and a drug testing group. If you join OOIDA they will get you set up with the BOC-3 for no charge if i remember correct and they can help you out on getting set up with the random drug tetsing stuff as well. You will also need to have a driver qualification file for yourself. i cant remember ALL that goes into this but I do know that you have to have an actuall employment application on your self and a ten year employment history on yourself just like when you work for a company, you will need a current drug test and DOT physical and some other things but those are some of the highlights that I have learned about. It all seemed REALLY overwhelming to me when i first started looking into the stuff but the further I have looked into it it is really fairly easy to do stuff and outside of getting the money for your permits and plates and all that stuff it seems like a pretty straightforward process and all of the appropriate state and federal websites have been full of some good information. i cant wait to get started on all of it this next year. Also, there are several usefull posters on this site that can answer any other questions you have pretty easily. G-Man gave me a basic run down a few months back and i took his info and used it to research everything and it was a great help. I hope I have given you a few of the things you need to know, anything i was wrong on or missed can surely be answered with ease on here.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
Sounds prety straight foward, where do you file for your own authority?

What Kind of insurance we talking about.

How much of each do I need to have most brokers even consider me?

process agent? Might you clarify what this is?

UCR is another new term to me.

Haven't heard anything about IFTA or anything about any tax papers I know I'm goinna have to file.

I know my friend had to fill out and file a form about heavy road use tax and probably some others.

Permits is probably something I'd have to call state by state. I know I'll need an IFTA, probably a KYU to start. Not sure if I plan on doing New York, not even sure if they still have a seperate HUT permit anymore but I'm prety sure I can get most of these things at the first weigh station in the state or just call ahead of time.
For insurance $750,000 in liability to be legal but most brokers from what I understand will want a minimum of $1,000,000 in coverage and $100,000 of cargo coverage.
On your Heavy Highway Use Tax I am pretty sure you do that through a local IRS office and your IFTA you will register through your statei think.
UCR is your Universal Carrier Registration and you can also do that online.
For processing agents you have to have a BOC-3 filled out and set up,it is so you have a processing agent in every state you run in. OOIDA can get you set up with this with membership to them.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Thank you, just like you I probably won't be looking into the paperwork till next year. Might get the truck b4 that since rates are so reasonable right now but right now, just getting things in order, research, researxh, and yeh, did I mention research? TYVM
Old 10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock View Post
Thank you, just like you I probably won't be looking into the paperwork till next year. Might get the truck b4 that since rates are so reasonable right now but right now, just getting things in order, research, researxh, and yeh, did I mention research? TYVM

Before you buy a truck get a quote from an insurance company on rates for your authority as they may have milage restrictions and a high price that would make going this route very difficult.

Last edited by mike3fan; 10-09-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I was in a hurry and forgot about IFTA for state and 2290 Heavy tax to IRS.

IFTA can be done in person, mail or through a service. Same with 2290.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Senior Board Member

a lot of these are pretty set fees. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have 1m to throw in escrow for my insurance so I guess I'd have to go through an insurance agency. Any recommendations?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Call Carrier Service in Miami. 305-652-9990 extension 3. Doesn't matter where you live. They will take care of everything for you for a very low price. Been in business like 40 years or so. Family owned