User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New guy here..... Introduction

I've been a long time reader of this board, but only just registered. I wanted to introduce myself- my name (as you might have gathered) is Jeff. Myself and an old friend operate a very small (2 trucks) trucking company in southeastern pa. We are mainly pulling flatbeds, but do sometimes do some reefer work in the winter when flatbed freight is really slow. I do most of the office work, and drive part time (usually 2 rounds to the mid west or southeast each month, with some local stuff mixed in) and my friend does all the work on the trucks and drives the rest of the time. Lately I've found myself spending more time in the office than in the truck- it's taking more and more time with the load board and telephone to find anything worth doing.
We have 2 tractors, the local truck pulls mostly grain and hay within about 75 miles of home- it's a 1973 Kenworth. The long haul (my truck mostly) is a 1996 Kenworth w900 that's in good shape and goes to Wisconsin and Nebraska a lot.

Thanks to everyone who posts here for the wealth of information. Especially GMAN, your posts have been a great help to me in learning this business over the last few years.

Jeff
Old 10-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome to the board Jeff.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
Lately I've found myself spending more time in the office than in the truck- it's taking more and more time with the load board and telephone to find anything worth doing.
Have you tried using FACEBOOK and TWITTER to find businesses in your area that might need trucking services? I just registered myself and it's amazing how many local businesses are there.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 10-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1981 View Post
I've been a long time reader of this board, but only just registered. I wanted to introduce myself- my name (as you might have gathered) is Jeff. Myself and an old friend operate a very small (2 trucks) trucking company in southeastern pa. We are mainly pulling flatbeds, but do sometimes do some reefer work in the winter when flatbed freight is really slow. I do most of the office work, and drive part time (usually 2 rounds to the mid west or southeast each month, with some local stuff mixed in) and my friend does all the work on the trucks and drives the rest of the time. Lately I've found myself spending more time in the office than in the truck- it's taking more and more time with the load board and telephone to find anything worth doing.
We have 2 tractors, the local truck pulls mostly grain and hay within about 75 miles of home- it's a 1973 Kenworth. The long haul (my truck mostly) is a 1996 Kenworth w900 that's in good shape and goes to Wisconsin and Nebraska a lot.

Thanks to everyone who posts here for the wealth of information. Especially GMAN, your posts have been a great help to me in learning this business over the last few years.

Jeff

Welcome to the board, Jeff. I am glad you finally decided to register. I am glad that our posts have been of help to you.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:36 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Have you tried using FACEBOOK and TWITTER to find businesses in your area that might need trucking services? I just registered myself and it's amazing how many local businesses are there.
I hadn't thought of that. I thought facebook was for kids to talk to their friends, and I honestly don't know anything about twitter- i'm not the most computer literate. How would i go about getting started?

I have to say I am trying to keep costs low- other than fees for 2 loadboards, i don't spend any money on internet sites. Have you seen a good return on the expense for facebook?

In this economy quite honestly I'm afraid to spend money (hence i am still using a 1973 truck, though only for very local work. we just put a bunch of money into the 96- we had considered a new truck, but decided to rebuild this one one more time for the longer hauls- a truck payment is just to scary at this point.)

Please let me know your thoughts