LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Rate question

August 25th, 2009
Tuesday

The Wilson salesman called me today with an interesting offer. He said he's finalizing another trailer sale and asked if I'd be interested to pick up two trailers instead of one. I said, "Why not, as long you pay extra for the second trailer ..." The sales guy said, "We'll figure something out."

Then he called me again to say Trailer #2 is not in Moberly, MO where my trailer is sitting; but rather it is in Sioux City, Iowa. He asked me if I'd mind if they move my trailer to Sioux City as well, because the Moberly plant will be closed this Friday. This way I can just go to Sioux City from Chicago (where I'm dropping my Canadian flatbed load), pick up both stepdecks and head back to Canada.

Nothing is set in terms of money... I finally looked at the map at the end of the day and ... I didn't realize Sioux City, IA was so far! It's a day's drive from Chicago, IL. Also, I"m thinking it should be me telling how much I'll charge instead of them telling me about "figuring something out". I'm the guy with a truck, right?

So, what do you guys think? What would be fair to ask?

Scenario 1
Starting point: Chicago, IL
Deadhead: 387 mi to Moberly, MO
Loaded miles: 827 mi to Breslau, ON Canada
Load: 1 stepdeck trailer loaded on top of the flatbed; 10,100 lbs 'load' weight
Total miles: 1,214
Freight bill: US$1,500 for 1,214 miles or $1.24/mi (jeeze!)

Scenario 2
Starting point: Chicago, IL
Deadhead: 531 mi to Sioux City, Iowa
Loaded miles: 985 mi to Breslau, ON Canada
Load: 2 stepdeck trailers loaded on top of the flatbed; 20, 000 lbs 'load' weight
Total miles: 1,516
Freight bill: 1,516 x $1.24 = $1879 PLUS SURCHARGE FOR TRAILER #2 (20 cents?)

1,516 mi X $1.45 = $2,198

I"m thinking to ask $2,200 for 2 trailers out of Sioux City, Iowa. Any comments?

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Senior Board Member
Default News from MacKinnon

I dropped a load of insulation in Hamilton, ON this morning and then deadheaded 60 miles to Toronto to pick up a load of ... insulation. This one is going to Chicago, IL (actually closer to Joplin) and after I drop it I'll be heading to Sioux City, Iowa to get my stepdeck.

I haven't had any feedback here about the rate to ask for Trailer #2, so I've sent the salesman an invoice for USD$900 (surcharge for the second trailer). He countered by US$750 and we had a deal.

500 mi deadhead from Chicago, IL
1,000 mi loaded to Breslau, ON, Canada
20,000 lb load (2 stepdeck trailers).
Total rate I'm getting is US$1,500 + $750 = $2,250

Nothing special if you're an independent trucker with authority, but if you're hauling your trailer I guess it's all right.

In the news from MacKinnon today: a fleet satellite message sent out to the entire staff announced the purchase by MacKinnon of ... L.E. Walker Transport, together with their flatbed company - Mid-America Freight! All employees of LE Walker will be moved from St. Thomas, ON to our terminal in Guelph, ON and our freight volume is forecast to increase by ... 60%. Most of it will be in Dry Van, but I hope Flatbed will feel the effects of the purchase too.

Seems like I'm going to be in the right place at the right time with my Wilson RoadBrute step. Way to go MacKinnon!

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-27-2009, 03:43 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I dropped a load of insulation in Hamilton, ON this morning and then deadheaded 60 miles to Toronto to pick up a load of ... insulation. This one is going to Chicago, IL (actually closer to Joplin) and after I drop it I'll be heading to Sioux City, Iowa to get my stepdeck.

I haven't had any feedback here about the rate to ask for Trailer #2, so I've sent the salesman an invoice for USD$900 (surcharge for the second trailer). He countered by US$750 and we had a deal.

500 mi deadhead from Chicago, IL
1,000 mi loaded to Breslau, ON, Canada
20,000 lb load (2 stepdeck trailers).
Total rate I'm getting is US$1,500 + $750 = $2,250

Nothing special if you're an independent trucker with authority, but if you're hauling your trailer I guess it's all right.

In the news from MacKinnon today: a fleet satellite message sent out to the entire staff announced the purchase by MacKinnon of ... L.E. Walker Transport, together with their flatbed company - Mid-America Freight! All employees of LE Walker will be moved from St. Thomas, ON to our terminal in Guelph, ON and our freight volume is forecast to increase by ... 60%. Most of it will be in Dry Van, but I hope Flatbed will feel the effects of the purchase too.

Seems like I'm going to be in the right place at the right time with my Wilson RoadBrute step. Way to go MacKinnon!

I'm guessing you meant Joliet? Joplin is a little farther away.

Doesn't really matter if your freight volume picks up by 60% if capacity also increases. I'm pretty sure they are bringing their trucks with them right?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
I'm guessing you meant Joliet? Joplin is a little farther away.

Doesn't really matter if your freight volume picks up by 60% if capacity also increases. I'm pretty sure they are bringing their trucks with them right?
I guess you're right about the volume - Walker does have their own trucks. And yes, I meant Joliet, IL, not Joplin MO

Here's what L.E. Walker Transport Ltd. says about L.E. Walker Transport

"LE Walker Transport is a privately held transportation solutions provider that meets the needs of a wide range of companies throughout North America.

Our company has provided transportation services since 1947, and today operates a fleet of over 200 power units and 700 dry van trailers throughout Eastern Canada and the United States. We have the people, equipment and technologies necessary to ensure we meet and exceed your expectations.

With terminals located in St. Thomas, Ontario (minutes from Highway 401) and Ancaster, Ontario (very close to Highway 403) LE Walker is ideally positioned to meet your diverse North American distribution needs."

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Aug 27th, 2009

I started shopping for trailer accessories today at Tarpstop ® Solutions for Transportation in Gary, IN (same exit #16 as for the Flying J). It took me 30 min to spend US$1,500

$1,200 for 4 tarps (16' x 20', 16' x 24', 24' x 20', 24' x 24'; all with one flap; all 18 oz vinyl; my name stenciled on all sides). the big ones will be black, and the smaller ones - blue.
$300 for stuff like 18 4" winch straps with flat hooks, 2 ratchet straps, a 8'x8' smoke tarp (fitted!), and plastic edge protectors

Right now I'm heading empty to the Sioux City, Iowa and the tarps should be ready by Saturday when I'll be passing Gary, IN on my way back to Canada with the two Wilson steps.

Still have to buy chains, chain binders, steel coil racks, steel edge protectors, bungee cords for the tarps. Load levelers ($800) should be ready sometime next week (ordered them a couple of days ago).

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Board Regular

if you plan to haul alot of steel, ratchet chain binders are the best.
snap binders are quicker, but with ratchets you can get the chain tighter easier with steel.

maybe get some of each. and you will likely need lots of portable strap ratchets, since with a step deck you can;t slide the winches past the tires.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Senior Board Member

What are load levelers?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 AM

Quote:
What are load levelers?

Probably those ramp looking things that they sit up on edge so they can haul pipe or something else that needs to be the length of the whole trailer, not just the drop.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
What are load levelers?
Yeah, it's for long loads that have to be put on the upper deck. Load levelers allow to use the lower deck space without the load sitting at an angle. See the pic. One company that makes these is Load Levelers - Aluminum Load Leveler Bridges I found another in Canada that sells them a bit cheaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg load-leveler-bridges.jpg (40.1 KB, 14 views)

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy View Post
if you plan to haul alot of steel, ratchet chain binders are the best.
snap binders are quicker, but with ratchets you can get the chain tighter easier with steel.

maybe get some of each. and you will likely need lots of portable strap ratchets, since with a step deck you can;t slide the winches past the tires.
I don't think they'll be giving me lots of steel, since the company has a lot of flatbed trailers, but you never know... I'll probably get a few of each: snap binders and ratchet binders. I already have 3 portable strap ratchets. Will buy more if the need arises. I find them very handy.

Watch my YouTube videos