User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad Hand View Post
I don’t have accidents either and neither do I think about it. I just trained myself in the beginning to be extra careful and those practices eventually turned into working habits that have kept me accident free. Knock on wood.

Nevertheless, I’ve seen so many drivers’ careers get toasted from minor preventable accidents, especially when they first start out. However, I’ve also seen a few get their careers toasted because of minor accidents even after years of driving.

I also know several drivers who are on their second and third rounds of driving after having been forced to sit out a few years until their previous accidents fell off their records. Hell, one of them was involved in a roll over accident with a death and he got back on after sitting out for 5 years.

In any event, losing your career via preventable accidents is still something that shouldn’t be discounted for anyone contemplating becoming an owner operator.
Preventable is just what is says. Preventable. Any driver should pay the consequences with "too" many. How many times does a driver have to screw up until the results are like the one you mentioned. He lost out 5 years........the dead persons family lost a lifetime with that individual!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Board Regular

As an independent, you don't have preventables, but not paying attention and having to many accidents can have your insurance increase dramatically, or actually having the insurance company drop you, when the renewal time comes.Too many claims,like cargo claims can hurt you pretty bad.

One of my friends is in the car business, and because he had like two claims a year on his cars that he transports(minor claims) and a high speed ticket in his POV(18 miles over the speed limit, really ouch!!!) had his insurance drop him at the renewal time.Then he barely qualified with another company with like 16-18 thousand a year.This year he was pissed cause if he had that ticket like 10 miles ovr the speed limit,he would qualify with an insurance company for like 4 thousand less a year.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00m View Post
As an independent, you don't have preventables, but not paying attention and having to many accidents can have your insurance increase dramatically, or actually having the insurance company drop you, when the renewal time comes.Too many claims,like cargo claims can hurt you pretty bad.
You have preventable and non-preventable as an independent just like any other company .
You must maintain an accident register that includes:
Date
Time
Preventable/non preventable
Citation issued y/n
Injury y/n
Any vehicle towed y/n
Hazmat involved y/n
Old 08-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Rookie

Chris....what you are saying is kinda true....BUT....the accident register is only for DOT reportables. This is when you enter the info you just mentioned. DOT reportable is for accident resulting in death, towable, or injury resulting in immediate medical treatment.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:23 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1 View Post
You have preventable and non-preventable as an independent just like any other company .
You must maintain an accident register that includes:
Date
Time
Preventable/non preventable
Citation issued y/n
Injury y/n
Any vehicle towed y/n
Hazmat involved y/n

Just looked in my DOT letter audit and you only need a accident register for the past 365 days.It doesn't say anything about preventable /non preventable, which makes me believe is more of a mega carrier thing for the newbie drivers:thumbsup:
Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Board Member

I stand corrected. The revision of 7/04 eliminated the requirement for citations and P/NP. The others listed still remain. There is a "catch all" wording that states "additional entries that may aid identifying trends in the company's accident and loss situation".
The records must be retained for three years from date of accident,not one year.