User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2009, 11:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
You want to save some weight? throw the mufflers away, throw out the passenger seat and dont fill your tanks to the tippy top. Carrying 200 gallons as compared to 300 gallons is almost 800 pounds difference. My flat top Freightliner and 48'x102" full of fuel and all my junk weighs in at 27,700 pounds or 12,590 kilos for our friends north of the border. You want me to scale a 50,000 pound load, no problem.
I have already thrown out the passenger seat - that's where I keep my 30 lb folding bike My two 150 gal fuel tanks are supposed to take 147 "usable" gallons of fuel EACH, but I have never been able to put in more than 185 gal in both - total. I thought my tanks were dirty or something and I had them cleaned, but it didn't change how much fuel I can put in. Fully fueled, with me inside my International weighs 20,280 lbs. This is just the truck, still with the roof air deflector (to be removed soon) and steel rims on the drives (steers are aluminum). Why I"m asking about the rims is because I'd like to bring the truck's weight under 20,000 lbs. I think I can achieve that just by removing the deflector which is heavy as hell (and has a 85% angle at the front).

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
I have already thrown out the passenger seat - that's where I keep my 30 lb folding bike My two 150 gal fuel tanks are supposed to take 147 "usable" gallons of fuel EACH, but I have never been able to put in more than 185 gal in both - total. I thought my tanks were dirty or something and I had them cleaned, but it didn't change how much fuel I can put in. Fully fueled, with me inside my International weighs 20,280 lbs. This is just the truck, still with the roof air deflector (to be removed soon) and steel rims on the drives (steers are aluminum). Why I"m asking about the rims is because I'd like to bring the truck's weight under 20,000 lbs. I think I can achieve that just by removing the deflector which is heavy as hell (and has a 85% angle at the front).
I guess if you're pulling only drop, and aerodynamics is not as much of concern as if you were pulling boxes - then lose the deflector.

I'd say, if aluminum rims lost the 280lbs to get you under 20K, there's always a benefit to less unsprung weight. You'd get even more benefit from super-singles - but - if you're running overweight loads on a regular basis, I'd probably be more comfortable with doubles on the ends of the drives.

My $.02

Rick
Old 08-04-2009, 04:11 AM
Senior Board Member

He runs Canada, we're not as favorable to super singles up here as you guys are. Reduced weights is the norm.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
I guess if you're pulling only drop, and aerodynamics is not as much of concern as if you were pulling boxes - then lose the deflector ... if aluminum rims lost the 280lbs to get you under 20K, there's always a benefit to less unsprung weight.
they say you save only 25 lbs from one wheel when you switch from steel to aluminum. i think i'll get rid of the deflector for now and do the wheels later. i'm going to have lots of expenses getting all the trailer accessories such as tarps, chains, straps, load levellers etc. wheels can wait.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Board Member
Default The numbers are in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
My guess would be maybe 150 pounds at the most
I've had our shop take off the deflector. After that I went onto our yard scale. The difference in weight (with me inside, and full fuel tanks) was 260 lbs. The 6'5" mechanic who took it off was surprised it was so heavy: "260 lbs? I moved it by myself!" I said, "What can I say? You're a strong guy"

Watch my YouTube videos

Last edited by tracer; 08-16-2009 at 06:12 PM.