User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default dump/walking floor/ pusher

hello everyone.

my dad and i are looking to getting involved with garbage. however i do have questions on the trailers. well witch is the best way to go? from what i'm hearing from some people stay away from the walking floor trailers. i hear they break easy and very expensive to fix. some people are telling me to look at dump trailers.. but what to look for? what is a frameless dump trailer? are they the ones that you see that are around 40 45 feet? a pusher i think its the best way to go but we're looking in to hauling stone back. now my question with the pusher is i'm reading some are hydraulic piston and some are air piston. this really confuses me. i dont mind putting a wetline on the trucks but rather not if possible.

as far as the trucks go its no problem at all. my dad has a 94 T800 with a 3406b. i'm looking at old keen trucks. 378 petes, c15 475 hp backed with a 18speed and 3.70 rears.

please guys any help would be great we're lost when it comes to this stuff.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Default Trailers, dump/walking floor

I'm kinda talking out of turn here because I've never pulled either one.

But,,, I think I would first talk to a couple of sellers of this type equipment first. Keeping in mind the salesman is gonna encourage you to buy his stuff. I'd also bet these trailers are pricey.

From what I've seen garbage is hauled mostly in high sided walking floors, I'm guessing due the tipping over factor involved dumping on unlevel ground,i.e. landfill.
I'm wondering about your proposed backhaul of stone,, is garbage contamination a problem? I don't think the receiver of the stone would be to happy if there's baby diapers or some other crap in with his stone.

I'm also quite certain a wetline is inevitable unless you go with a "pony motor" to drive your hydraulic system.

There's some dump guys on the site that I'm sure will chime in with much better info.

Good luck, K. Lee
Old 07-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Board Member

i have no idea about the stone like i said right now its all a thought. to be honest i'm scared to death about getting a walking floor after hearing some horror stories about these things. i get what you are saying about the dump trailers and uneven grounds. if its not a dump i think i'm looking more towards a pusher.

as far as talking to the sales man i think i'm going to wait to hear from the people first and see what exactaly they want from us.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 AM

Do the proper maintenance, and you'll be happy. Too many don't, and they pay the price.

Ontario, Canada
Old 08-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Dumping a dump trailer in a landfill sucks.

Even if you get level before dumping, the soft garbage underneath the wheels can squash down on one side or the other as the box is going up, leading to a tip over.

Are you planning on hauling from a transfer station to a landfill? If so, you'll want one of those big walking floor garbage trailers.

That's what all the guys around here are using for that application.

Regarding the backhaul of stone if you have a dump trailer, as mentioned previously, you'll have to make sure the inside of the box is perfectly clean after dumping the garbage and before loading the stone.

Even if the box appears clean, the "garbage juice" residue in the trailer may cause the load of stone to stink when it is dumped off. That may not matter if the stone is used for road construction, but if you dump a load of "stinky" landscape stone in a bin at a retail landscape contractor, you'll be in trouble!

No matter which type of trailer you choose, as stated previously, you'll need a wet kit on your tractor.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kranky View Post
Dumping a dump trailer in a landfill sucks.

Even if you get level before dumping, the soft garbage underneath the wheels can squash down on one side or the other as the box is going up, leading to a tip over.

Are you planning on hauling from a transfer station to a landfill? If so, you'll want one of those big walking floor garbage trailers.

That's what all the guys around here are using for that application.

Regarding the backhaul of stone if you have a dump trailer, as mentioned previously, you'll have to make sure the inside of the box is perfectly clean after dumping the garbage and before loading the stone.

Even if the box appears clean, the "garbage juice" residue in the trailer may cause the load of stone to stink when it is dumped off. That may not matter if the stone is used for road construction, but if you dump a load of "stinky" landscape stone in a bin at a retail landscape contractor, you'll be in trouble!

No matter which type of trailer you choose, as stated previously, you'll need a wet kit on your tractor.

this is the info i'm looking for! thanks!! we're shying away from the dump trailer actualy.

a few questions. what is the up keep on these? can you go to the beekin for a wash out? i'm assuming new is the best way to go? do they normaly load you to gross with garbage?

as far as i know. (and i could be and probably am wrong) its going from transfer station to transfer station. the stone would be brought in to a concrete yard so i dont know how the inside of the trailer would matter to them. if not then a live floor is the way to go.

now a wet line question. is there one kit that will cover every hydraulic application? i eventualy want to get in to heavy hauling with a landoll trailer.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebird_1252 View Post
this is the info i'm looking for! thanks!! we're shying away from the dump trailer actualy.

a few questions. what is the up keep on these? can you go to the beekin for a wash out? i'm assuming new is the best way to go? do they normaly load you to gross with garbage?

as far as i know. (and i could be and probably am wrong) its going from transfer station to transfer station. the stone would be brought in to a concrete yard so i dont know how the inside of the trailer would matter to them. if not then a live floor is the way to go.

now a wet line question. is there one kit that will cover every hydraulic application? i eventualy want to get in to heavy hauling with a landoll trailer.
Here is the type of pump you'll need, it will work with either a walking floor or a dump trailer:
Wet Line Kits - Products - Permco Hydraulic Pumps - GEMINI PUMP//DUAL PRESSURE PUMP TO OPERATE DUMP & WALKING FLOOR

Trailer dump just has one hyd line hookup, a walking floor will have 2 hyd. lines from the tractor to the trailer, a pressure line and a return line to the tank. Where I work, we have our heavy haul tractors set up to work with hydraulic removable gooseneck trailers or dump trailers, we've got the connection for the trailer dump line to connect to, and the 2 lines that connect to the RGN, it's all just a matter of plumbing everything correctly.

The only way I know of to clean out a trailer completely is to actually get inside there with a pressure washer and thoroughly wash it out (not fun).

Garbage loads are normally at or over gross.

Bringing stinky stone into a concrete plant might not be a good idea either, those types are pretty fussy, because samples of their product are frequently taken by inspectors when the concrete is being poured.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Garbage is exactly that.......GARBAGE, the rates suck big time, and the loads are always heavy, it pays by the ton. As far as hauling rock back in a garbage trailer you can't, if the concrete company is doing ANY kind of work for the state, the state inspectors inspect the ingredients, sand, stone fly ash etc.

If there is any contamination in any of the ingredients at the concrete yard they can loose their state contracts. Plain and simple, the concrete company will NOT risk it, that is why most have dedicated haulers that only haul for them, and only haul sand and stone.

As far as washing out at the Beacon, I have NEVER seen them do it, and they don't have it on their price sheet, that's not to mean they won't BUT you need to check first, lots of shops won't even work on those trailers because of the stink, and another thing is where to park the trailer, remember your neighbors don't want to smell that and neither would you.

New walking floor, figure around $60,000, maybe more

New dump, around $50,000

Wet-line installed, around $3000, depending on which one you get

Frameless dump trailers http://www.eastmfg.com/tralrs_framelessal.html

Ran an end dump for 5 years, long enough to pay off the brand new trailer and get rid of it, money was decent, but not record breaking, only thing I can say positive is that the dumps are easy to load and unload.

Last edited by Maniac; 08-01-2009 at 10:12 PM.