User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 2 reasons why my next truck will be a Freightliner

Reason 1: RACK AND PINION STEERING
No other truck maker besides Freightliiner uses rack and pinion steering (the same type used on passenger cars) on their trucks, including International ... ProStar still has the 19th century design steering.

Reason 2: HYDRAULIC CLUTCH LINKAGE
It may sound silly, but I spent probably a grand trying to find a cause for the constant rattle/tapping noise in the engine of my 2004 International; after 1 year one smart mechanic finally told me it was ... my clutch linkage rattle! I called International today and asked what kind of linkage they used on the ProStar. The salesman put me on hold for a while, asked someone then replied, "No, International uses only mechanical linkage on their clutches".

I'll add more reasons as I'm learning more about Freightliner innovations

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 07-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Reason 1: RACK AND PINION STEERING
No other truck maker besides Freightliiner uses rack and pinion steering (the same type used on passenger cars) on their trucks, including International ... ProStar still has the 19th century design steering.

Reason 2: HYDRAULIC CLUTCH LINKAGE
It may sound silly, but I spent probably a grand trying to find a cause for the constant rattle/tapping noise in the engine of my 2004 International; after 1 year one smart mechanic finally told me it was ... my clutch linkage rattle! I called International today and asked what kind of linkage they used on the ProStar. The salesman put me on hold for a while, asked someone then replied, "No, International uses only mechanical linkage on their clutches".

I'll add more reasons as I'm learning more about Freightliner innovations
And, when something goes wrong with the clutch, you can't adjust anything. It MUST be replaced to the tune of $2,500, and a few days in the shop. I have one. The clutch works fine, and has plenty of clutch left, but the clutch-brake does absolutely nothing. Only way to fix it... Replace the clutch. If it were my money... I'd take the ones you can adjust. This truck is an '07, and needs to have the clutch replaced already???:thumbsdown::moon: Should be able to get another 300K on a clutch. The truck I owned had the clutch replaced at 780K. This one only just turned 400K. Much too soon. So much for the hydraulic self-adjusting.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Senior Board Member

Volvo is far ahead of freightliner regarding the hydraulic linkage. My 99 has it. The newer trucks are hydraulic as well as air assist! Every time you release the clutch you hear a small psshht.

Very easy to push as well.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
And, when something goes wrong with the clutch, you can't adjust anything. It MUST be replaced to the tune of $2,500, and a few days in the shop. I have one. The clutch works fine, and has plenty of clutch left, but the clutch-brake does absolutely nothing. Only way to fix it... Replace the clutch. If it were my money... I'd take the ones you can adjust. This truck is an '07, and needs to have the clutch replaced already???:thumbsdown::moon: Should be able to get another 300K on a clutch. The truck I owned had the clutch replaced at 780K. This one only just turned 400K. Much too soon. So much for the hydraulic self-adjusting.
There's something very fishy there. Your clutch linkage should never need to be adjusted after the initial adjustment. This includes hydraulic and old school clutch linkages.

Your problem is related to where the slave cylinder attaches. Probably the cross shaft is worn. Mine is worn as well. Does your clutch pedal also feel like it is binding?

You do NOT have to replace the clutch, I can guarantee that, and your linkage is fine. But your tranny does have to be removed. The problem is probably related to a lack of greasing.

There is another way to remedy the situation. You can PM me if you want to find out how.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
When I was upgrading my tranny from 1650 to 1850 torque rating, I also replaced the clutch. The heavy-duty 2000 lb-ft torque rating LIPE cost me 800 bucks cash Canadian. Cheap and highly recommended.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 07-18-2009, 01:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Volvo is far ahead of freightliner regarding the hydraulic linkage. My 99 has it. The newer trucks are hydraulic as well as air assist! Every time you release the clutch you hear a small psshht.

Very easy to push as well.
Hm, I didn't know that ... How about steering? They still use the traditional steering mechanism on Volvos, right? On my International, even with an excellent alignment, I constantly have to steer, especially when I have a heavy load and the trailer's tandems are at the 41' mark

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 07-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Senior Board Member

It's not due to the steering mechanism. Most new trucks handle fantastic. I've driven two Cascadia's one after the other, one with and without rack and pinion. Didn't notice a huge difference.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
There's something very fishy there. Your clutch linkage should never need to be adjusted after the initial adjustment. This includes hydraulic and old school clutch linkages.

Your problem is related to where the slave cylinder attaches. Probably the cross shaft is worn. Mine is worn as well. Does your clutch pedal also feel like it is binding?

You do NOT have to replace the clutch, I can guarantee that, and your linkage is fine. But your tranny does have to be removed. The problem is probably related to a lack of greasing.

There is another way to remedy the situation. You can PM me if you want to find out how.
Company's truck, and company's worry, not mine. They are the ones that old me the clutch needs to be replaced. Their money to spend, not mine.

As for the steering being... Unstable. The last one I had, had springs under the front. Held the road just fine. This one has air-bags, and doesn't hold the road worth a hoot. Take your eyes off the road a couple of seconds, and by the time you look back, you could be anywhere on the road, or off of it. I'm told all the front, air-ride axles do that.. At least Freightliner does. Rides nice, but the steering could stand improvement... Again, company truck, not mine.:whistle:

Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Most Volvos (all the ones I ever drove too), have very very tight steering, I.E. absolutely 0 free play, you barely move that wheel and the truck will start to steer off, makes you look like a drunk driver until you get used to it .

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 07-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Board Member

Very true. The last truck I was in was an '02 770 pushing 900k miles. That truck had one of the tightest steering I've ever felt. The worst was a '78 Ford tandem axle concrete mixer. I don't think anything was tight on that truck. It was a challenge to do 30mph and keep it on the road whatsoever.