User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Red face Truck Accident, Advice

Hello Guys,

My uncle who is an owner operator got in a bad accident, luckily he is fine and so is the person in the other vehicle. This SUV had a tire blowout lost control of the car and was fish tailing on the highway. My uncle swerved to the right to avoid her, and she smashed right into front of the truck, leaving the truck un-repairable. My question to you guys is this:

My uncle has to now rent a truck to continue operating. But due to the economic times he felt into some hardships, most rental truck places are asking for a $5k deposit which he does not have at the moment, because his mortgage is due. He has other funds available, but does not have a Major Credit Card with a high limit. Do any of you guys know if a Truck Rental place does not have such a steep deposit in the Florida area?

Ofcourse since the accident wasn't his fault the insurance is going direct bill the Rental Place but he still needs to come up with the deposit.

I am thinking he has a lawsuit case against these people too (the drivers fault) since they basically put a halt on his only means of income, his business.

All of your feedback is very much welcomed and you guys be safe out there on the road. I have a lot of respect for Truck Drivers and I never knew how much work one actually puts into until my uncle got in the business 15 years ago.
Old 07-03-2009, 06:45 PM

I'm not really sure on the truck rental question but can you really sue someone for having a flat tire on their car. I guess in this day and age it is possible but man that just seems a little out there to me.
Old 07-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
I'm not really sure on the truck rental question but can you really sue someone for having a flat tire on their car. I guess in this day and age it is possible but man that just seems a little out there to me.
They didn't have a flat tire - the car had a blowout and lost control of their vehicle, which ran into the truck.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
They didn't have a flat tire - the car had a blowout and lost control of their vehicle, which ran into the truck.

Blow out, flat tire same difference pretty much when rolling down a highway at 60-70 mph especially if it is a front tire.....I fully expect that their insurance would have to cover all costs for damages and repairs but the people probably were not drinking and driving or driving wrecklessly or anything to warrant any lawsuits or payouts outside of the damages to the truck and any injuries that might have occured. Thats just my opinion, the legal system has just gotten ruined and over used with lawsuits over some things that sometimes just cant be avoided. There really are such things as just accidents that no one really has much control over. If these people were out driving drunk and running 80 mph down the highway swerving in and out of their lanes being wreckless and stupid and caused this accident I would say more power to ya, sue the pants of of them but it does not seem that way. I just hate to see peopleover punished for circumstances they really had no control over. If you are going to sue them you might as well sue the tire company for making a faulty tire that allowed a blow out, on top of that sue the state that the highway was in for allowing small debris to be on the highway that might have punctured the tire and contributed to the blowout, and if it turns out it was a small nail or screw, hey sue the company that produced it for making dangerous products. i know this sounds silly but that is how things work these days it seems, worthy legal actions seem like a joke anymore because the system is over used for crazy stuff. I wish The guys uncle all the best wishes and hope he gets back on his feet as i hate to see anyone go out of business or have troubles like that that threaten their home and family but It's just my opinion that unless there are other circumstances at hand, that doesnt really warrant a lawsuit. Sorry to hi jack the thread with my rant and i hope someone can offer this guy a little info on the rental situation.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not sure why the rental company needs a deposit if they are direct billing the insurance company. Check with other rental companies. I have rented from Penske before and they didn't charge a deposit. I used a credit card and they checked my credit before allowing me to have the truck. It could have been a combination of my credit and the card that I used didn't really have a credit limit on it. They only charged me for the time I rented the truck. I suggest he also check with some of the truck dealers. Some rent trucks. If he takes his truck to a dealer's body shop to be repaired they may be able to keep his truck as collateral in lieu of a deposit. If he can't rent a truck on his own then he may be able to receive money from the insurance company for lost income. He will likely need to prove the amount of loss. Keep in mind that cars are not required to carry as much insurance as carriers, so he could be somewhat limited as to how much he may be able to collect without going after the driver and/or owner of the SUV, personally. If he goes after the loss of income he will likely not get the actual amount of the loss.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

What GMan said.... the insurance company should be involved in this process and it should make the it go smoother to rent a truck.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Board Regular

Check and see how much libality insurance they have. Maybe only $25,000. Hope its enought to fix the truck and pay the rental.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:15 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagerbomber3.0 View Post
Blow out, flat tire same difference pretty much when rolling down a highway at 60-70 mph especially if it is a front tire.....I fully expect that their insurance would have to cover all costs for damages and repairs but the people probably were not drinking and driving or driving wrecklessly or anything to warrant any lawsuits or payouts outside of the damages to the truck and any injuries that might have occured. Thats just my opinion, the legal system has just gotten ruined and over used with lawsuits over some things that sometimes just cant be avoided. There really are such things as just accidents that no one really has much control over. If these people were out driving drunk and running 80 mph down the highway swerving in and out of their lanes being wreckless and stupid and caused this accident I would say more power to ya, sue the pants of of them but it does not seem that way. I just hate to see peopleover punished for circumstances they really had no control over. If you are going to sue them you might as well sue the tire company for making a faulty tire that allowed a blow out, on top of that sue the state that the highway was in for allowing small debris to be on the highway that might have punctured the tire and contributed to the blowout, and if it turns out it was a small nail or screw, hey sue the company that produced it for making dangerous products. i know this sounds silly but that is how things work these days it seems, worthy legal actions seem like a joke anymore because the system is over used for crazy stuff. I wish The guys uncle all the best wishes and hope he gets back on his feet as i hate to see anyone go out of business or have troubles like that that threaten their home and family but It's just my opinion that unless there are other circumstances at hand, that doesnt really warrant a lawsuit. Sorry to hi jack the thread with my rant and i hope someone can offer this guy a little info on the rental situation.
Jag...I understand that you don't like the idea of lawsuits. However, consider this. If it had been you driving down the road, in your truck, and you had a tire blowout, like this SUV did, you lost control of the truck, and hit an SUV like this, or even worse...several SUV's and a bus. Do you suppose the people in any other vehicle would hesitate to sue you?

No...it may not have been your fault that the tire blew out, but it would be considered your fault, for losing control of your vehicle. The same principle applies to the person driving the SUV in this case. The individual was not responsible for the tire blowing out....but the individual was responsible for losing control of the vehicle.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member

It's not that suing would lay blame to the driver, that's not the purpose. The purpose is to recoup losses incurred from operation of the SUV. The losses are the responsibility of the insurance company, since they accepted money (insurance premiums) in exchange for liability insurance. Therefore the insurance company is liable for what happened.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Board Member

Why not sue the tire company for a defective product? They probably have more juice to squeeze any way.... :deal: :roll: