User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

An IMPORTANT THING to keep in mind is; if you DO NOT have your Class A, and/or HAVE NOT HAD IT FOR AT LEAST A YEAR - then you're STILL going to need to GET THAT YEAR (or at least 6 months) EXPERIENCE to be able to LEASE ON as an O/O with a carrier. And just as important, if you're thinking about getting your own MC# (operating authority as your own carrier) - you are likely to NOT BE ABLE TO GET LIABILITY INSURANCE TO RUN INTERSTATE, until you HAVE YOUR CLASS-A for at LEAST ONE YEAR.

I'm finishing school right now, and CAN AFFORD to get into my own truck RIGHT AWAY (cash $$ down, have a good friend with a "leasing company" to finance me). I was considering this as an option - since NONE OF THE MAJOR (Rookie Hiring) CARRIERS are hiring out of FLORIDA, much less SOUTH FLORIDA - and I want to maintain my FLORIDA RESIDENCY for License, Tax, Carry Permit, Corporation Ownership, etc.

I COULD NOT EVEN GET A QUOTE for the REQUIRED INSURANCE to apply for operating authority. Three Agent/Brokers told me; "call back when your CDL is more than 1 year old" - and EVEN THEN, the REQUIRED COVERAGE is going to be $10K for just the Trucking Liability/Cargo - not to mention Bobtail and Comp.

I need to get ON THE ROAD and start logging on LINE 3 - and can't figure out the BEST WAY TO DO IT, and still maintain FLORIDA RESIDENCY. I have NO PROBLEMS relocating - just can't do it until 2010 - and even then, tax-wise, Florida is STILL one of the best places to claim residence...

Rick

Suggestions, hate mail - all are welcome...
Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
+1 on the major repair at any time. I bought an older truck and it did well for the first 5 months with no major issues. Then BAM! Within the last two months I've had
cracked oil pan $1,000
two cracked front rims $750
Drive shaft from trans to rear all new $1800.
New front suspension (mine was shifting around it was so loose) springs, hangers, kinpins, tie rod ends and the drive shaft between the two rears needed replaced as well. $3700
New fifth wheel $1100.
Power steering gear box $900
o-rings to the fuel pump (haven't gotten the bill for that yet)

Truckin's fun :lol:
Oh Waaaaa!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Old 06-28-2009, 06:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy View Post
Oh Waaaaa!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I know, I'm such a cry baby!
Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
I know, I'm such a cry baby!
:cry::cry::cry::cry:
Ain't we all....when it comes to paying for repairs??? :tears::tears::tears::tears: issedoff:issedoff:issedoff:
Old 06-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Rookie

Thanks Slick Rick, but been driving for 35 years, that shouldnt be a problem, this board does give alot of things to consider, thats why I posted here and for comments, thanks again
Old 06-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Senior Board Member

There are several people here that got insurance for about 7-8k without any experience. If you're in CA the state demands that the insurance company approves you. It's called Assigned Risk.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are some states who offer a "shared risk pool." That is where several insurance companies assume a percentage of the risk. There have also been some who have been able to get their liability insurance from Progressive, even though they don't have any experience. There is a mileage or radius restriction they normally put on the owner. I believe it is 500 mile radius. They do allow a few trips beyond that radius during the course of a year. Once you have insurance for a year then it is a little easier to find insurance, providing you haven't had any accidents or claims. Some insurance companies will not insure a driver who has less than 2-3 years experience. You need to make sure that you can get insurance before buying a truck. Without insurance you won't be able to get your authority.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Rookie

[QUOTE=truckn4u2day;454448]First post, so here we go. I was looking at Getloaded and some of the other loadboards. My question is this, if there is a slow down, why are there so many loads, or is it they just pay so bad?

I am interested in becoming an owner operator, have been a company driver for 35 years. I've got alot of homework to do, but let me give you some stats so I can get some pro and con info. Ive been looking at this board for sometime, lots of great advice, so here we go.

As I said eailer, ive been a driver for 35 years. I am collecting my Teamster pension that is a very good pension, but still love to drive and would like to be my own boss.

I was thinking of a truck for about 35,000 used obviously, I dont need to kill myself but would like to work and pick the loads I would like to go and see with my wife. Not sure as to lease on with a company, or go with my own authority, if it is a lease o/o then I would want to go with a non force dispatch

I currently live in so. calif, but am seriously considering moving to Boise, Idaho, might like to get a run from to Calif to Idaho, so my wife and I could see the family that is still here in so. calif., if we moved to Idaho

Not sure about what type loads, as in flatbed, reefer, van, etc, I retired from Sysco Foodservice, so very familiar with reefer units.

Any constructive comments are greatly appreciated !!![/QUOTE
if you move to idaho. you will want to run apples. when i think apples. I thinkj ch robbinson. not a great start. but they pay fast. not waiting for 45 days to get paid. and they do advances. right now. you can get a 53' refeer from plm trailer leasing for around $8k. you can pickup a nice truck from tmc. for around $45k the rest is up to you.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

A friend of mine bought a nice Great Dane high cube van last year for $6,500. Prices have dropped since last year. I have seen vans from $2,500-$6,500. I would expect to pay around $4,500 or so for a good trailer. There is no need to spend $45,000 for a truck. I looked at some good trucks last year for around $33,000 with about 300,000 miles. I would expect you could buy that same truck today for no more than $25,000. There are some real bargains on the market, if you have the cash to buy. Don't put yourself in a bind to buy a truck, especially if you plan on taking a lot of time off. If you over obligate yourself then you will feel the need to run no matter what. When you start a business you get in for as little as possible until the money starts to come in. You let the business grow itself. You can always trade up once you have equity in your equipment.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
There are some states who offer a "shared risk pool." That is where several insurance companies assume a percentage of the risk. There have also been some who have been able to get their liability insurance from Progressive, even though they don't have any experience. There is a mileage or radius restriction they normally put on the owner. I believe it is 500 mile radius. They do allow a few trips beyond that radius during the course of a year. Once you have insurance for a year then it is a little easier to find insurance, providing you haven't had any accidents or claims. Some insurance companies will not insure a driver who has less than 2-3 years experience. You need to make sure that you can get insurance before buying a truck. Without insurance you won't be able to get your authority.
Spoke with Progressive - they don't write Interstate Trucking Liability, but will be more than happy to write my Non-Trucking Liability, Comp., etc. The Agents they turned me on to, told me they could get me 500 or 800 mile IN STATE insurance, but it was not the type of coverage that gets FED/DOT to issue an MC #. Can't really claim OTR experience - if you never leave the state (or can you?).

If any one knows of an agent that has a product for a ROOKIE (less than 1 year CDL) to get an MC# and run interstate with - PLEASE - PM me the info.

School ends in 2 weeks - I don't feel like changing my DL to Georgia and LYING about residency on a job app, just to get my FIRST TRUCKING JOBi I WOULD however be amenable to purchasing a truck (and even a Van or Reefer) and chasing freight for the 6 mos. - year it takes to be able to lease on as an O/O with a company - or I may just be SO GOOD at running my own authority, I might be able to STAY INDEPENDENT.

But everyone has to START SOMEWHERE...

Regards,

Rick

Rick