User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default IFTA Question

How do you account for miles to and from a garage to have work done to it? Do you report them just as if your under load? That's what I have been doing but I never really gave it much thought.
Here recently I went up to PA to have some work done then back to MD.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Some time ago I spoke with those in my state about that and was told that I was supposed to account for all miles run in each state, regardless. I don't know of many who will take the time to account for miles spent for something where they are neither under a load or deadheading to get one. I doubt that it will make much difference in the grand scheme of things.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks G
Old 06-22-2009, 01:10 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome, Rosty.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:36 PM
Default IFTA reporting

Technicaly as GMAN already stated all miles have to be reported but I would like to add this hopefully helping anyone doing thier own IFTA. I was audited twice within 11 years by IFTA, they were random audits. not red flag. While we were complimented for our record keeping We were charged a small amount for differences between our stated miles and thier miles. They would never catch something out of route like that unless you bought fuel or crossed a scale, just give the extra miles to your home state. They put the starting point, stop offs, and ending point into thier program and if you are under for any state along the route you a charged the difference but if you are over they keep it. They pull trip reports at random and depending how acurate they are is how many they go over. The first time the auditer was at our office for four days and we were charged about $150 and was told that was very good. A few years later (the same auditer) he only spent one day and said if we pulled any more random audits he would take care of it and not be back. The auditer did tell us some war stories and they can put you out of business if need be or hit you with fines that are realisticly unpayable. If you don't agree with thier findings you can have a hearing. If you run a different route for what ever reason and it puts you in a state for less miles than the normal route just put the hi-ways traveled down and they will allow for that also, they don't care if you do or why just as long as you account for the difference. If they get the impression you are trying to get over on them or are sloppy and don't care they will go for the throat, otherwise they aren't bad to deal with. I know this covers a little more than you asked but I hope it was helpful anyway. This was my experiance in SC. .... I was audited by a SC auditer but was told any state has the right to come in and audit.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM
Senior Board Member

The last thing you want in an audit is to have your hub/odometer show different than your trip reports. Even worse is to have them find a fuel receipt not reported.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Board Member

The only way you can "cheat" the system is by buying dyed fuel and not reporting the bought fuel. Anything else works out in the end anyways.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Board Member

As a single truck operation and me being the driver do I have to fill out trip reports? I have a tablet that I right down my mileage when I get to each destination, then every few weeks I use google to map my trips and figure out each state mileage. The only fuel receipts I keep are my weekly Fuelman reports, they're very detailed though. I don't keep the paper receipts from the truck stops.

Am I doing wrong here? Is there a better way to be prepared for an audit so it goes quickly?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Should have some sort of trip sheet for each load. Guessing at state mileages isn't a good idea. They are also going to be asked for during a DOT audit.(or even IRS audit)
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
As a single truck operation and me being the driver do I have to fill out trip reports? I have a tablet that I right down my mileage when I get to each destination, then every few weeks I use google to map my trips and figure out each state mileage. The only fuel receipts I keep are my weekly Fuelman reports, they're very detailed though. I don't keep the paper receipts from the truck stops.

Am I doing wrong here? Is there a better way to be prepared for an audit so it goes quickly?

I don't think that there is a rule as to whether you need to fill out a formal trip report on each run. However, it is a good idea to do a report on each run in case you are audited. I use my own trip reports and keep all receipts in an envelope for each trip. It makes it easier to show documentation if something comes up later. I know one individual who had a single truck who just kept her mileage in a composition book. She was audited and nothing was said about the way she kept her records. As I recall, they complimented her in the way she meticulously kept track of her mileage. She didn't drive the truck herself, but did check mileage after each run.