LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 02:16 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I have a garmin NUVI 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by devildice View Post
I have an old Garmin C330 (or is it a C320? I can't remember...lol). It has been discontinued but I am still able to download their map updates. !
Did you say you downloaded the updates and it has a truck route?

I have a NUVI 200 and which I believe is the same C330 firmware(my brother have this same device).I did download the new firmware but they want $69 for the updates.This is almost the price of a new Garmin.If you 're saying it has "truck route" in the updates then I wouldn't mind downloading it.If you have the updates in a file, do you mind forwarding it to me?
I am definitely not ready to spend $450 on a truck routed GPS.
Lifetime download is $119 and the file name is $119

Almost a year ago Steve Booth also posted an FTP site to download updates, firmware and POI.I wish I could go to a site like that.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henboy1 View Post
Did you say you downloaded the updates and it has a truck route?

Almost a year ago Steve Booth also posted an FTP site to download updates, firmware and POI.I wish I could go to a site like that.
Garmin is not allowing download of the 465T truck program into their other units at this time. However, there ae sites (like POI Factory) that have a lot of downloadable data for existing GPS's.

We have been beating the crap out of the Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear units for many weeks now and I created a comparison chart to try to clear up the differences. The link to the chart is: Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear. The chart does not reflect the new software from PC Miler, but it will next week.

Also a correction to some earlier posts. The 465T does not show you the truck speed limit in dual-speed states, but it does have an extensive address database and the NTTS breakdown database is very nice. It does not have truck routing in Canada yet. The real-time traffic and lane-change warnings are super cool. Finally, Jackie's tests on Kevin's site have concluded that she has downgraded her opinion of the 465T in the last couple of weeks due to miss-routing issues off trucking-legal roads. Apparantly Garmin is "listening" to the users and want feedback at their site when you find truck routing errors, so we'll have to wait and see how their first update to the 465T turns out in that regard.

- Don
Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Default Comparison chart updated

PC Miler and Garmin both put out new software / maps in the last month for their truck GPS's so I had to install and test using the new stuff. Also, many of you asked to make the chart simpler in terms of what is the important stuff for us. So I color-coded it too with green and yellow showing where units did well and not so well.

Truck driver GPS review comparison and rating features - Garmin, PC Miler, and Goodyear

Regards,
Don
Old 08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Well.... now Cobra and Rand McNally have both got truck specific GPS units coming out. They are showing them at GATS. The Cobra has a 7" screen. The Rand McNally TND has a 5" screen. I have put off using a GPS since I have had great results just using Delorme on my laptop and comparing to the Atlas and getting occasional satellite views off the net. I may just have to finally break down and get a unit. After looking at details, I am siding with the Rand Mcnally TND. The Garmin 465T, Cobra unit, and the TND are all going for the $500 range. Not too sold on using the Cobra model. Would seem that Garmin and Rand McNally (especially the latter) has better reputation for mapping routes.

We'll see....
Old 08-22-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
Well.... now Cobra and Rand McNally have both got truck specific GPS units coming out. They are showing them at GATS. The Cobra has a 7" screen. The Rand McNally TND has a 5" screen. I have put off using a GPS since I have had great results just using Delorme on my laptop and comparing to the Atlas and getting occasional satellite views off the net. I may just have to finally break down and get a unit. After looking at details, I am siding with the Rand Mcnally TND. The Garmin 465T, Cobra unit, and the TND are all going for the $500 range. Not too sold on using the Cobra model. Would seem that Garmin and Rand McNally (especially the latter) has better reputation for mapping routes.

We'll see....
I'll be testing the Rand soon and will add it to the comparison.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I paid $10 each for 2 GPS units a couple of years ago. They are called Rand McNally. Both have plastic covering the pages. I have used the system for years and it has never failed me. I understand why some might want to have a GPS, but I think the old Rand McNally maps work just fine.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I paid $10 each for 2 GPS units a couple of years ago. They are called Rand McNally. Both have plastic covering the pages. I have used the system for years and it has never failed me. I understand why some might want to have a GPS, but I think the old Rand McNally maps work just fine.

Ten dollars for 2???????? The laminated version run at least forty. That must have been a 1970's price.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I paid $10 each, ronjon. I usually get mine when the new ones come out and buy them at a discount. They normally sell for $29.99 or $39.99. They make a deal at then end of the year. Most people don't want to buy them when the new ones come out. Things don't change that much during a year. I can't see paying full price when you can get them at a discount. I bought the last 2 this one truck stop had and he charged $10 each.