User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

thanks for the help drivers...the isx truck i am looking at has 720,000 miles on it and they want $12,995 for it. Deal or no deal??????? 2003 model international 9400, tandem with sleeper
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_driver View Post
thanks for the help drivers...the isx truck i am looking at has 720,000 miles on it and they want $12,995 for it. Deal or no deal??????? 2003 model international 9400, tandem with sleeper
me personaly i'd stay away from it unless you know the truck. there are a pair of 03 columbia's in tampa. old swift trucks. granted.. not perfect but pretty clean. one with 528k? and the other 578k. if i land work i WILL be buying one of them they want $24k with a selectruck warrantee. for me power means nothing. i pull almost no weight at all. these days name of the game is MPG. there are alot of good deals out there you just have to know where to look.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:07 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_driver View Post

With that many miles I would want to know what work has been done. You are at a point where most engines are likely to need an in-frame. You also want to see any maintenance records. I bought a truck once with over 800,000 miles on it but it had an in-frame shortly before buying it. The truck had less than 100,000 miles on the engine. I would not have bought it otherwise. If you plan on buying a truck with that many miles you need to make sure that either it has had major engine or other work or you can buy it at such a low price that you can afford to rebuild the engine and still not have too much in the truck. If I felt good about the truck after driving it and could check the maintenance records then I would probably consider buying it. Another factor would be how the sleeper was laid out and how the truck was equipped.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Senior Board Member

I would go with the det. why? it is the engine I started with & I am still driving it. 1.3 million & still going. no inframe yet. great on m.p.g. beats most new trucks on m.p.g. although mine is a 11.1 det 60 ser. over 11 years running same truck, same engine. this opinion is biased. lol. best of luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:14 PM

I can't speak for the newer models but there is a reason Detroit was the number one engine for many years, it was realiability and ease of maintenance.

The ISX is a quiet engine and will outpull a Det., but, when it comes to working on them you better know what you're doing or be prepared to pay big bucks.

Imho the DDEC III was the best engine Det. produced, the Cummins N14 is also a great motor and the Cat 3406 E was good as well but I was never too impressed with them as they seemed to have tempermental ECM's.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I own two 3406E's and have never had a problem with the ECM. I know a couple of owners who have had problems with ECM's on their N14's.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I own two 3406E's and have never had a problem with the ECM. I know a couple of owners who have had problems with ECM's on their N14's.
We've had ECM failures on 2 of the N14's in the fleet where I work.

No ECM problems with the Cats so far though (C12's, C13's, & C15's).

Old 05-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
The last Detroit that I owned was a series 60 12.7. It was a good engine but did have an oil leak problem. I think that every Detroit that I have owned has leaked oil. The series 60 isn't usually as bad as the older engines. I have never owned a Cummins, but have driven several different models over the years. I prefer the N14 over the ISX. I think they are easier to work on and are definitely a strong engine. A friend of mine has an N14. I think it is a stronger engine than the ISX. I believe CAT still has more torque and can out pull the other two. Of course, my friend with the N14 says the same about his Cummins.

I would not worry too much about the engine as long as it is a good truck and checks out. You should get good service out of any of the three brands. Although I have never owned a Cummins I would buy one if I found a good truck that was in decent shape and that I could get a good buy. If I had a choice between two identical trucks and one had a CAT I would choose the CAT.

if I had a detroit & it DIDN'T have a oil leak, I'D be worried. oil leak on a det = all sys checked & normal. lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

now a days the engines really depend on the year it was made. I have a 95 intl w/ a ser 60 det. though mine is a 11.1 & I am told they were much better engines than the 12.7. drivers who have had the 12.7 430/470 & upgraded to the 500 h.p. said it was not worth the extra cost in fuel, although the 500 h.p. even still did better than the cat. also I remember when the 500 det's were blowing turbo's like crazy. I think the 00-03 det's are the most fuel efficient engines, along with reliability in the newer range. of course if ya want real dependability, you could go with the ole mechanical engines without any sensors.

the engine mfgrs have gone too fast to try & keep up with all the regulations & the quality has suffered. all of us will have different opinions based on our own experience. just like we did with the ford's, gm's, chry's e.t.c.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member

wasnt the mid 90's s60's the ones that kept throwing rods or cranks threw the block?

not to thread hijack.. N14 vs. s60 hmm..