User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 04:57 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Good news regarding wheelbase laws and Canada

Quebec has introduced a well designed wheelbase law, and some provinces are following suit. I imagine most will eventually:

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...4400144F0104BD

You're allowed up to 7.2M wheelbase with a permit. Anything over 7.2m is not allowed. 7.2 is the equivalent of 283". This increase in wheelbase needs to be coupled with a decrease in trailer wheelbase.

Now if this is introduced Canada-wide, this would be very good although I imagine many American trucks still would be "illegal". At least give us Canadians some flexibility.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am sure that will be good news to some owners, Allan. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will make much difference in whether U.S. trucks will be traveling into Canada. I think the new speed limiter laws will keep many out. From my perspective, it will cost more to put a speed limiter in a truck than I would make on the freight that I would haul out of the provinces. It will be easier for most of us to just stay on the south side of the border. I heard that Ontario was having second thoughts about the speed limiter law. Other things that I have read seem to demonstrate the opposite is actually true.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm going to be buying the hardware/software to make the changes on my own. I would've bought them speed limiter or not anyways, to clear codes and run tests etc...
Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Senior Board Member

costs ya money to get a code from the engine manufacturer every time you change the code doesn't it?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Rookie
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Quebec has introduced a well designed wheelbase law, and some provinces are following suit. I imagine most will eventually:

http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/portal/pag...4400144F0104BD

You're allowed up to 7.2M wheelbase with a permit. Anything over 7.2m is not allowed. 7.2 is the equivalent of 283". This increase in wheelbase needs to be coupled with a decrease in trailer wheelbase.

Now if this is introduced Canada-wide, this would be very good although I imagine many American trucks still would be "illegal". At least give us Canadians some flexibility.
Never had a prob in QC or ON been up there many times with a 260"wb truck and my spread axle 48' stepdeck at 70' long running from Valcourt QC into the states thru detroit.
It's the western prov's I can't go to due to length laws and spread laws......doesn't mean I haven't been up there with my truck and closed tandem trlr though just never got cought.
But now I don't go there at all thanks to the speed limiter laws.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm from Canada too and I limited my truck to 65 MPH, according to the "order" from Safety. I agree this law is silly because once you set the speed, you cannot change it yourself. And since I'm a long-haul truck driver, it follows that I travel all over the place. I do only 20% of all miles (if that) in Ontario, Canada. The rest is thru US where speed limits are 60, 65, 70 and even 75 MPH, as you all know. I think MTO should either:

a) cancel the law as premature
b) make truck dealers give copies of the engine ECM software to all truck owners so that they can change their governed speed themselves.
c) limit the law only to trucks exclusively operating within Ontario/Quebec/Canada; and make it void for trucks doing most of their miles in USA.

I asked CAT dealers here and they say they will tweak your governer for free if you're in their shop doing some work on the truck, but if you're just there to have the speed limit changed they'll have to charge you labor. 1/2 hour or 1 hour, I don't remember. But it isn't free.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 05-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgar50 View Post
But now I don't go there at all thanks to the speed limiter laws.
that is exactly part of the reason the ontario trucking association was so willing to adopt speed limiters= more work for ontario based carriers!
Old 05-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

The American Trucking Association has also been pushing for speed limiters in the U.S. So far, they have been kept at bay. If they have their way everyone will need to have a speed limiter on their trucks.