User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Before you know it he will be putting solar panels on his roof, investing in a tub and washboard, and sell his car for a horse and buggy.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 04-27-2009, 08:27 PM

Here on the homefront we are doing what we always have been doing. We have always saved when things were good for the bad times.(the only way I could have afforded to try the agent thing). We also stopped buying packs or cartons of Cigarettes and went to rolling our own. We used to be able to roll 3 cartons for about 25.00 but now it 25.00 to roll one so we are smoking whats left and then quitting. It was still less than buying a carton at the store (45$ here in il) but too expensive on the bottom line. We also hit the sales at the market and stock up on things we can and have a good place to buy meat in bulk and stock the deep freeze.

We have been preparing for a return to the road here recently, by picking up a few things that will make life cheaper out there. Like getting a new grill for the truck and a new crock pot for cooking. We have also went out and paid cash for both vehicles we currently drive. We picked one up at the auction (98 gmc sierra ext cab2500 4x4 long bed) for $2100. I got the other (85 ford f150 longbed) for free just needed some work.

I looked at getting a Truck from the auction and paying cash for it basically because it was cheap and no payment. But, at the time I was brokering freight and seen what the loads were paying. There was good freight out there but some loads were going for .50-.60 cents a mile and I knew my costs would be at least .95-1.05 a mile without paying myself.
the truck I looked at was a '99 kw t600 with a cummins and had 680,000 miles on it. it only went for 6,000 but it needed probably another 4500-5000 to make it dot legal. I could not see spending that kind of money on something just to run it for crap rates.

These are just a few things we are doing to cope with the economy here at home and the list will only get larger as I get back on the road. Just trying to cut monthly expenses here and that will make life easier on the road, maybe!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhaulerss View Post
not doing it to be green at all. just trying to break the 400.00 monthly utility bill. I also have a small yard. may go to a non motorized push mower next.
$400 per month utility bill!?

I think someone's adjustment strategy is growing dope in his basement! :smokin:
Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrange View Post

Yeah really my gas electric and sewer is about $160 on the low end and $240 on the high end.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Oh yeah, my thing, I've said most of it before. I pretty much live in my truck. I have a house, but squabbling with my family, and the freight being out here anyway, I just swing by and pick up mail.

So far so good, tanker rates are holding up. The boss has quit asking me about dedicated loads (out loaded, back empty) and Canada loads. Pretty much, I hang out until I get a load to Baltimore. So far, they've been able to arrange decent backhauls toward Chicago. The only thing is, I don't get in a lot of miles. When the truck is moving, I'm making money. It just doesn't move a whole heck of a lot. If I do 1500 miles in a week I feel like a rich man.

And, with all that downtime- Panera Bread for free internet. Seriously, I live out of the internet. I like to download documentaries and lectures and watch and listen to them- it's studying, really. Lots of politics and history, which interests me. Way, way too much sports. But, I do enjoy it.
Old 04-28-2009, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Oh yeah, my thing, I've said most of it before. I pretty much live in my truck. I have a house, but squabbling with my family, and the freight being out here anyway, I just swing by and pick up mail.

So far so good, tanker rates are holding up. The boss has quit asking me about dedicated loads (out loaded, back empty) and Canada loads. Pretty much, I hang out until I get a load to Baltimore. So far, they've been able to arrange decent backhauls toward Chicago. The only thing is, I don't get in a lot of miles. When the truck is moving, I'm making money. It just doesn't move a whole heck of a lot. If I do 1500 miles in a week I feel like a rich man.

And, with all that downtime- Panera Bread for free internet. Seriously, I live out of the internet. I like to download documentaries and lectures and watch and listen to them- it's studying, really. Lots of politics and history, which interests me. Way, way too much sports. But, I do enjoy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Yeah really my gas electric and sewer is about $160 on the low end and $240 on the high end.
I have 4 girls & 2 boy's plus the wife & I. the light's, water, phone, e.t.c. go constantly. that is the entire utility bill. it always get a lot lower in the warmer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Before you know it he will be putting solar panels on his roof, investing in a tub and washboard, and sell his car for a horse and buggy.
Hey. thanks for the idea's..
Old 04-28-2009, 04:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I don't have a basement.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Hey lowrange. If you like politics and history get your hands on a book called "The 5000 year leap". Maybe their is something about it on the internet, I've never checked. I was never interested in politcs until all of this crap started happening this past year and now I'm reading and listening to everything I can about our history and constitution. That's what the book is about. Anywho, sorry for the hijack.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:20 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertt View Post
Hey lowrange. If you like politics and history get your hands on a book called "The 5000 year leap". Maybe their is something about it on the internet, I've never checked. I was never interested in politcs until all of this crap started happening this past year and now I'm reading and listening to everything I can about our history and constitution. That's what the book is about. Anywho, sorry for the hijack.
Ordered. MP3 CD. One of the reviews mentioned Carrol Quigley, that would be right up my alley. I haven't gotten to his book yet but I did just finish Confessions of an Economic Hitman. Thanks
Old 04-29-2009, 07:36 PM
Senior Board Member

I made an adjustment. I loaded a small hhg order yesterday going with my special products to Canada for next week. Gotta diversify.