User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default DOT authority question. HELP !

I applied for my dot & mc numbers a year or so ago to do some hotshot stuff. Due to cost of insurance I never activated the authority. I just spoke to FMSCA and they said I could reinstate the authority with an $80.00 reinstatement fee and proper insurance. They also said I should be using a Process agent. Several questions come to mind;
#1. Since I am now doing tractor/flatbed freight and not hotshot do I need different authority or just different insurance?
#2. Do I need a Process Agent ? What will it cost me ? Who do you recommend ?

I am not new to trucking [30 + yrs.] but I am new to having my own authority. I will be looking for loads on the internet. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks
Old 04-15-2009, 05:03 PM
Rookie
Default One addition to last thread !

Forgot to ask. What insurance company would you recommend? Thanks again !
Old 04-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are only two types of authority, contract and common. The feds no longer make a distinction between the two, so I understand. Common is the most prevalent. It doesn't make any difference whether you do hot shot or class 8 trucks, you have the same authority. Most brokers and shippers require $1MM liability and $100M cargo. Rates on insurance can vary widely. I have been getting better rates from Northland, but the last couple of years they have hit me with major increases and I have had no claims, accidents or tickets and have an excellent safety record. I decided to not renew with them this year. Northland seems to have better rates for the single owner operator. In my case, I have drivers. I have found another company that I may go with who is much less expensive. A friend of mine received a discount from Northland this year. Where you live and run has an impact on your rates. I have spoken to some who have gotten better rates with Great West, although they have always quoted me a higher rate. I suggest getting with one or more brokers and have them shop it for you. I had one broker that told me that there are 18-25 commercial insurance companies who write this type of insurance. Most brokers only represent a few insurance companies. It pays to shop around, even with brokers.

You will need process agents for every state in which you do business. There are services who will do this for an annual fee. OOIDA offers this service at no charge to members.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks Gman

I appreciate the info. Is there someone that I can contact that might help with permitting , fuel tax reports , ect ? Or should that be done with someone local. [ central Florida ]

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

There are services that will get your authority and permits for a fee. OOIDA will handle as much or little of that as you want but will also charge a fee. Their charges are usually less than outside companies. You will need to be a member for them to work with you. They can also act as your process agent at not charge as long as you are a member. At one time I think they did the IFTA or quarterly tax filings. I don't think they currently do that, but there are services who do. Expect to pay around $35/month or so. I think the least expensive I have seen is $25/month. There is software that is designed for this industry and will do the calculations for you. Easy Trucking Software, Truckers Helper are a couple. Truck n Pro has software that will do your totals but you will need to do the actual calculations. Most trucking specific software will cost from $125-495. For a single truck operation you should find what you need for less than $200. If you keep your records current you should be able to file the forms in about 1-2 hours. I have been a member of OOIDA for many years. They are a good resource for drivers, owner operators and small fleets. If you join during certain times of the year their usual $45 annual membership is $25.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks !

Thanks again, Gman. I will check out the companies you mentioned.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You are welcome, brucet84. One other thing about these software companies. Most of them have either a trial period or a demo that you can check out on line. If you need additional software leads let me know. If I remember correctly the web addresses for those companies I mentioned are as follows: Trucknpro (www.foglinesoftware.com); Truckers Helper (www.truckershelper.com); Easy Trucking (www.easytrucking.com); and OOIDA (www.ooida.com).
Old 04-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Rookie
Default Thanks Gman

I have found some regular stuff comming back to Florida from the midwest. I think I can do O.K. with the loadboards going out. At least till I can nail down something better. Right now I am working on the insurance to start my authority. Thanx again for the help !
Old 04-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Make sure to check around with several insurance brokers. Rates can vary widely.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I pay $400 a month for Liability and Cargo from this company Cottingham & Butler Truck Insurance Group ? Ahead of the Curve and $123 a month for Collision, Comp, Bobtail from Progressive.