User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
It's not easy, you are competing with thousands of professional sales reps, most full time with slick brochures and a company with a history of service.

Landstar has 1200 or more sales people (agents) CH Robinson has thousands, then there are the Schneiders, Hunts and others.Right now the market is tougher than ever. You can do it but it ain't going to be easy. Most company shipping Dept's get many calls a day, so you need to have something to offer.
I'm a company driver and never had my own truck. But i do have sales exp. and had my own biz. so I've been on both ends. There's no way you can compete head to head with a mega carrier so why try? You need to use what you do have ... One truck hmmm how about the flexibity to customize p/u and del to small out of the way company's that only have a few or even one load a week? Build on the fact that you can provide better service in the same time frame as the big guy, and when they call YOU there talking to the owner not some csr that dosn't know the first thing about them or there product.
As you drive around make a list of places and then stop by and start talking, be dressed nice have cards and pictures of your equipment, you might want to have some magnets or stickers made up with your number on them too. It takes a long time to get in some of these places, I haven't been in sales for 2 1/2 years and they still get a few phone calls from sales calls I made back then. MOST IMPORTANT, DO NOT GIVE UP! KEEP GOING BACK AND DON'T TAKE NO AS A FINAL ANSWER
Old 03-24-2009, 10:37 AM
Rookie
Default This is what I did

Hi, All

This is my first post but I have been reading others post for 2 years. I'm not the greatest speller so please have patience with me. About me: I've hauled Containers, Reefer and currently Autos. Here are some of the things you can try. When you goto a shipper always be on your good behavior, I mean like checking in before backing in a door, dress nice, be polite. Someone said this a while back, make your brokers customers your customers, but be suttle. You need to cover the markets the bigger carriers don't want but had to take because it was part of the contract package! Example: Werner has the family dollar account: Why not call Werner and say "Hey I will cover your brooklyn or bronx stores for x amount of dollars", These carriers are probably taking a beating in tickets, tolls, accidents, theft, etc. Too many variables to exact a profit. Why not just pay you a flat rate and you worry about it. Just my two cents. Good Luck!
Old 03-25-2009, 03:10 AM
Rookie
Thumbs up

Thank you for all replies! There are a lot of good things I learned from you!
Old 04-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

If you have a reefer, go down to Hunts Point and make sales contact with every vendor in there. They all need trucks and the majority of American truckers hate to go to NYC. Use broker loads to get to the pickup point (they will be cheap), but you will be charging a premium rate for loads into NYC.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Welcome back LOAD IT. Nice to see you posting.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RostyC View Post
Welcome back LOAD IT. Nice to see you posting.
RostyC, Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking on and off, just hadnt posted.