User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What would you do?

It's been a while since I've been on the board. My password would't work and couldn't get it fixed so I've got a new name. I used to go by "jonboy".

I'm leased to a carrier for .93 plus .14 fuel and run about 3000 a week. I've got an opportunity to go back under my own authority and haul produce for 2.25 out of California to Texas year round on that rate. It will double my income and actually lower my fuel costs a little. I've been shopping trailers and got some insurance bids and it all looks ok to me.

The reason I'm asking is I've only been in this business for 2 years and I went on my own a year and half ago and the rising fuel forced me into leasing to save myself, which btw, hasn't been the worst thing that has happened. I have a lot of freedom in what I'm doing now, but the rates are fixed and that still bugs me. I can continue this from now on, but the business man in me gets a little frustrated at times with being leased. This broker I'll be dealing with is stable and reputable and I have a friend who has been working with him a long time, so I know this is legit. The thing that makes me nervous is the extremely low rates I'm hearing around the industry, and what would I do about a backup plan?

I guess I'd be right back where I am now.

Now or never? Or maybe later?

slacker aka jonboy
Old 02-25-2009, 02:30 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't even want to go into details. Cause there is way too many, and it's very subjective.
One thing for sure;-It's not a good time for a job hopping. But like I've said, only you could make an informed decision.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
I don't even want to go into details. Cause there is way too many, and it's very subjective.
One thing for sure;-It's not a good time for a job hopping. But like I've said, only you could make an informed decision.
+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I will say though 1.07 PM including FSC is a very cheap rate. Who is the carrier if you don't mind me asking?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:57 AM
Rookie

Perhaps you should figure out which opportunity will actually have any work for you down the line. Can you better hussle work independently in the future or will your present company be more likelyto provide you with work. IMHO the big question for everyone in the very near future is "Do I have a job." Not necessarily "Am I making enough money."

Twilight's Last Gleaming? The End of America As We Know It - Chuck Missler - Koinonia House
Old 02-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

$2.25 per loaded mile? What happens when you get empty in Tejas and have to get back to Cali?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Senior Board Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I will say though 1.07 PM including FSC is a very cheap rate.
If you convert it in Canadians, it will sounds better....
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
It's been a while since I've been on the board. My password would't work and couldn't get it fixed so I've got a new name. I used to go by "jonboy".

I'm leased to a carrier for .93 plus .14 fuel and run about 3000 a week. I've got an opportunity to go back under my own authority and haul produce for 2.25 out of California to Texas year round on that rate. It will double my income and actually lower my fuel costs a little. I've been shopping trailers and got some insurance bids and it all looks ok to me.

The reason I'm asking is I've only been in this business for 2 years and I went on my own a year and half ago and the rising fuel forced me into leasing to save myself, which btw, hasn't been the worst thing that has happened. I have a lot of freedom in what I'm doing now, but the rates are fixed and that still bugs me. I can continue this from now on, but the business man in me gets a little frustrated at times with being leased. This broker I'll be dealing with is stable and reputable and I have a friend who has been working with him a long time, so I know this is legit. The thing that makes me nervous is the extremely low rates I'm hearing around the industry, and what would I do about a backup plan?

I guess I'd be right back where I am now.

Now or never? Or maybe later?

slacker aka jonboy

We can fix your old name if you want. Just let me know. As to what you should do about getting your authority that is another matter. If you have confidence in this broker and he will guarantee the rate then that might be a good way to go providing he can keep you busy year around. Even if you turned around and deadheaded back to where you pick up you would not be any worse off than you are now. About the only difference is that when you have your authority you will need to pay your insurance. The advantage of running your authority is that you are not limited in whom you can get freight. When you lease to a carrier you are usually limited to freight they get for you. That can work to your advantage in some instances if they have a good freight base. You have an opportunity to negotiate better rates when you run your authority but you could also lose your shirt. It depends on your comfort level.

I have two good friends who have been in this business for many years. Both recently gave up their authority. Neither is doing all that well leased to other carriers. One leased on to a carrier for what he felt was the greater availability of freight. The other due to high insurance costs. Both may go back to running their authority. Neither are doing that well with those to whom they are leased. One is on the fence as to going back to running his authority. The other I expect to get his authority as soon as he can afford to reinstate his insurance.

There are pros and cons to both. I have been discouraging people from getting their authority right now due to the economy. You seem to have a good opportunity that would double your income. If I felt comfortable with the broker as to the freight consistency and felt that I would not have to worry about my money, then I would probably go for it if the freight was consistent enough. If he doesn't have return freight you can always find something to take back. Whatever you get is better than you are doing now. I should not try to influence you either way. We are in a very troubled economy which is of concern to us all. I would suggest that you sit down and think it over very carefully. Get some insurance rates and look at what additional costs you will incur running your authority. One major concern is when you can get paid. Bankruptcies are rampant. I will caution you on one thing. It can be very dangerous to rely solely on one shipper or broker. If they go out of business or decide to go with someone who will carry their freight for less then you could be out of business without a back up plan.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
$2.25 per loaded mile? What happens when you get empty in Tejas and have to get back to Cali?
Actually, I could go back empty and make about the same as now, but surely I could find even a dry load that would pay $1. I ran my own authority last year so I know what you are talking about concerning the rates out of Texas.

I already decided I will never pull a dry trailer again because of the limitations. I even considered putting tie downs inside the trailer to haul equipment or other misc. stuff.

slacker
Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
We can fix your old name if you want. Just let me know. As to what you should do about getting your authority that is another matter. If you have confidence in this broker and he will guarantee the rate then that might be a good way to go providing he can keep you busy year around. Even if you turned around and deadheaded back to where you pick up you would not be any worse off than you are now. About the only difference is that when you have your authority you will need to pay your insurance. The advantage of running your authority is that you are not limited in whom you can get freight. When you lease to a carrier you are usually limited to freight they get for you. That can work to your advantage in some instances if they have a good freight base. You have an opportunity to negotiate better rates when you run your authority but you could also lose your shirt. It depends on your comfort level.

I have two good friends who have been in this business for many years. Both recently gave up their authority. Neither is doing all that well leased to other carriers. One leased on to a carrier for what he felt was the greater availability of freight. The other due to high insurance costs. Both may go back to running their authority. Neither are doing that well with those to whom they are leased. One is on the fence as to going back to running his authority. The other I expect to get his authority as soon as he can afford to reinstate his insurance.

There are pros and cons to both. I have been discouraging people from getting their authority right now due to the economy. You seem to have a good opportunity that would double your income. If I felt comfortable with the broker as to the freight consistency and felt that I would not have to worry about my money, then I would probably go for it if the freight was consistent enough. If he doesn't have return freight you can always find something to take back. Whatever you get is better than you are doing now. I should not try to influence you either way. We are in a very troubled economy which is of concern to us all. I would suggest that you sit down and think it over very carefully. Get some insurance rates and look at what additional costs you will incur running your authority. One major concern is when you can get paid. Bankruptcies are rampant. I will caution you on one thing. It can be very dangerous to rely solely on one shipper or broker. If they go out of business or decide to go with someone who will carry their freight for less then you could be out of business without a back up plan.
GMAN, Thanks for offering to fix my old username, but that's ok, the other guy was way to blindly optimistic, and he picked the worst time to get into trucking. We'll just leave him buried.

I forgot to mention I have my own authority (on hold), or otherwise, I probably wouldn't even consider it right now.

Alan, I really don't want to mention the carriers name on here and cause the bashing to begin, and also because, they have been real good to me. I go where I want, when I want and go home at the drop of a hat. Of course it's on my dime if there is nothing going that way. As far as the rate goes, it is the same as a dozen others hauling for the same customers (refrigerated).

The difference is, it's a square deal lease with no hidden or bogus expenses. I own my own truck, but their truck lease doesn't look that bad either. They are a debt free company and very conservative financially. They will not cut their rates, and I've been told, will walk away till the customer comes back. One of their managers told me they will be the last man standing when more carriers fold due to excessive debt. They have good customers. I also have a good working relationship with dispatch and planning. About the only thing that could make it better would be a better rate and direct access to their boards. Oh well....

I cannot access internet truckstop without renewing my insurance so I am in the dark on rates right now and I am really shocked at what you guys have been quoted.

If I had to make the decision today, I'd stay put, but jonboy keeps telling me to go for it.

I sincerely appreciate all the advice.

btw, insurance quotes came in at $8000.00 for 1 million liability, 100,000 cargo (refrigerated or whatever) , 30,000 on the truck. That's with my two years of driving. It was $14,000 last year for 48 states. This is the other reason I leased, to let some time pass. For some reason the two year mark is significant???

slacker