User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
2.25 loaded well, a buck a mile loaded on the way back, and no calculation for deadhead between the loads is what I missed. If you can find a better backhaul, you might be doing pretty good. My fuel costs going 75mpg in a T600 with 3.70's is less than 45cpm.

Now might not be the perfect time, but its the recipe for something good. $2.25 loaded EVEN with fuel at $1/mi (Summer '08') you were still making money. That doesn't mean I justify running for $1.00 a mile.

Do some research on backhauls. Maybe drop and hook with a 2nd trailer and a 2nd shipper under your authority? I think they key piece to your puzzle is out there.
Bandit, I figure I should have very little deadhead if I'm willing to go down as far as $1 on the backhaul?. I would think I could find something going where I need to be, or drop something on the way, maybe even a partial.

I too am really against hauling cheap freight and would prefer a higher rate even with more deadhead.

This is kind of scary, since I was in Galveston the other day and ran into an owner op that was hauling to the east cost for $1.25. He told me he grossed $280,000 last year in flats and bought a reefer when the flat rates dropped. He told me the reefer rates were as bad after he spent $16,000 putting a new frig unit on the trailer he bought. This guy was no dummy and had been running his own deal for years. He was a bit bewildered to say the least. He told me he had never seen it like this in all the years he had been trucking.....

I've run into other guys with a similar story, and I believe, only the most determined with the least debt will survive this time.

GMAN is using the D word, and it scares me coming from his mouth, becuase I know he doesn't speak flipantly.

Maybe it's not a D but a d. :eek2:

slacker
Old 03-19-2009, 03:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
You are exactly correct, it's time on your CDL not necessarily miles or experience. I guess they have no easy way of measuring the latter. My rates dropped from $14000 to $8000 just by the passing of the 2 year mark.
I have had my insurance company ask for former employers from new drivers but I don't think any of them have actually called them to verify their experience. If these drivers were ever in an accident that could be a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
I don't know if you guys have paid attention to reefer prices right now, but with this June 09 enforcement date in Cali, the price of 04 and up reefers has increased considerably.
If you don't run Kalifornia you could probably get a good buy on an older reefer.