User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
You must like to spend money. You have a truck with 22.5 rims on it but instead of going to 11R22.5 tires you'd rather buy 8 rims and go low pro 24.5's ? In Ontario you'll get nothing for 24.5 low pro casings. You can run normal tires on the back and low pro on the front if you are bound and bent to stay with them. BTW a lot of trucks run 11R22.5 all the way around and drive fine. My truck had 11R24.5's on it all the way around. I got a good deal on used low pro's for the drives so I tried them for 8 months. Wasn't impressed with the tires didn't see any improvement in fuel mileage. I cut one and spent hours trying to buy a used low pro and finally couldn't get anything from numerous tire shops for casings (Michelin tires) I went back to 11R24.5 and won't be switching again. Rant over.
Oops, I didn't know you have to buy new rims to put low pro 24.5 on. Naturally I'd prefer to keep the rims I have now - the ones that originally had 11R22.5 tires on them. Question: you didn't notice any difference in steering/handling between low pro and "tall" tires? For some reason my International steers much better with with those Michelin low pro on the front ...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Board Member

I found specs on Michelin 24.5 tire on their website. Look like I can save the cost of axle diff change (quoted to me as Cnd$2,600) by simply waiting and then switching tires - from the current LP295R22.5 to Michelin XDA3 11R24.5. Weight: 135.8 lbs. Diameter: 43.8". Revs/mile: 473. With my current 3.73 ratio I'd be at (3.73 x 0.73 x 473) =

60 MPH = 1287 RPM
61 MPH = 1309 RPM
62 MPH = 1330 RPM

Which I think is what I need for Ontario and the near-by U.S. states, MI, OH, IL. I tried driving at 60 MPH on the last trip from Montreal, Quebec to Guelph, ON (as opposed to my usual 58) and the trip felt quicker and was more fun...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
(quoted to me as Cnd$2,600) by simply waiting and then switching tires - from the current LP295R22.5 to Michelin XDA3 11R24.5.
8 alum wheels, about $3,200 American. Tho you might get some for your old wheels...
Old 03-01-2009, 10:53 PM

I found the low pro's rode rougher. You can phone Tatro (chatham), Palings(hamilton) for prices on used aluminum rims. If you want to be cheap MacKinnon always used 24.5 on their trailers and you could probably get a good deal on steel wheels (if you still work there) Painted silver they don't look too bad. BTW $2600 seems cheap for a gearing change but I've never done one.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialkay View Post
I found the low pro's rode rougher. You can phone Tatro (chatham), Palings(hamilton) for prices on used aluminum rims. If you want to be cheap MacKinnon always used 24.5 on their trailers and you could probably get a good deal on steel wheels (if you still work there) Painted silver they don't look too bad. BTW $2600 seems cheap for a gearing change but I've never done one.
Yeah, I work for MacKinnon. When I was rebuilding my tranny for a higher torque rating I asked the shop who they used for gear work and they referred me to Halton Gear in Milton, ON. These guys are great! They gave me a good price on the tranny rebuild (from RTLO-16913 to RTLO-18913) and now when I called to ask about the diff change, they told me it'd be around $2,000 to switch from 3.73 to 3.58. Our shop at MacKinnon said they'd charge me $600 to take out the diffs, ship them to Miilton, bring them back and then reinstall them. So, the total charge for me would be Cnd$2,600; but now I think I'll just switch to tall rubber when it's time to get new tires...

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer View Post
Yeah, I work for MacKinnon. When I was rebuilding my tranny for a higher torque rating I asked the shop who they used for gear work and they referred me to Halton Gear in Milton, ON. These guys are great! They gave me a good price on the tranny rebuild (from RTLO-16913 to RTLO-18913) and now when I called to ask about the diff change, they told me it'd be around $2,000 to switch from 3.73 to 3.58. Our shop at MacKinnon said they'd charge me $600 to take out the diffs, ship them to Miilton, bring them back and then reinstall them. So, the total charge for me would be Cnd$2,600; but now I think I'll just switch to tall rubber when it's time to get new tires...
As said before in this thread, you can't go from lo pro 22.5's to tall 24.5's without buying wheels. And going from lo pro's to 11r22.5's won't make that much of a difference.

lo pro 65mph 1510rpm's
11r 65mph 1466rpm's
Old 03-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Senior Board Member

I went from 11.22 low pro to 11.22 standard & it improved my m.p.g. especially at top end the low pro would be at a higher rpm than the standard 11.22