User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Looking at a new FL Cascadia with a DD15

I'm looking to buy a new Cascadia with a detroit DD15. Anybody have any expierence with the new truck or engine. I would appreciate any input good or bad?

DD15 1850 torque 530 hp.
18 spd eaton
3.58 eaton rears with full lock up
Old 02-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Senior Board Member

It seems everyone I talk to running the DD15 is disappointed in the fuel mileage.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:30 AM
Rookie
Default DD15 and "new" tech...

From what I have read & heard the DD15 is an amazing engine with great power & efficiency, compared to other new DPF engines. Personally, I would look at something with an older 12L Detroit in it unless you just want a new truck. If that's the case, a Cascadia with the DD15 would be my choice unless I could get one with a DD13.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:20 AM

I don't know what your planning on hauling but I have that same motor/trans/rear combo on a 2008 Columbia. As of right now with a load on I'm averaging 3.4mpg but that's all hevy/oversized freight. I had a 78,000# loader on a few weeks back and from ND to MO I averaged 2.3mpg. Now running empty at 51,000# and no big parachute on the back and it will jump right up to 6 or 7 but put anything on that creates drag and it falls on it's face.

With all that being said, my truck is a 4 axle with a 22,000# front end running super-singles for steer tires so it's in no way built for mileage.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
It seems everyone I talk to running the DD15 is disappointed in the fuel mileage.
Do you know what their mileage is? I get between 5-5.5mpg

I don't know what your planning on hauling but I have that same motor/trans/rear combo on a 2008 Columbia. As of right now with a load on I'm averaging 3.4mpg but that's all hevy/oversized freight. I had a 78,000# loader on a few weeks back and from ND to MO I averaged 2.3mpg. Now running empty at 51,000# and no big parachute on the back and it will jump right up to 6 or 7 but put anything on that creates drag and it falls on it's face.

With all that being said, my truck is a 4 axle with a 22,000# front end running super-singles for steer tires so it's in no way built for mileage.
Yesterday 09:30 PM
BIGRNTN
DD15 and "new" tech...

I haul a 48' stepdeck 86,000lbs max 70,000lbs normally and would be happy with the 6-7 you get empty at 51,000lbs
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 AM

I don't know what your percentage of loaded to empty miles are but more empty miles will push your overall average up. I actually average right at 5.5 but I also run as many or more empty miles than I do loaded. That keeps my overall average up but it also has a down side, I get used to running longer between fuel stops deadheading then when I get loaded and start running I get a shock when I look down and I'm running on fumes.

How tall are your loads, are they smooth or are you hauling a jungle gym of oilfield equipment? A 70,000# load of tarped lumber will get considerably better mileage than a 70,000# load of oilfield equipment. A big front end loader facing backwards will got a lot better mileage than the exact same loader facing the front. A combine doesn't get good mileage no matter which direction it's loaded and even though the new Challenger tractors look all areodynamic, they are about as areodynamic as a brick.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Rookie

Catalina I don't run many empty miles and my loads generally aren't smooth. I haul a lot of cable and seldom get any o/d loads.

I was wondering how many problems you may have had with the engine? Some have said they're having problems with sensors/electrical . Also here a lot about dpf exhaust on 07
engines? Thanks for your help.