User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Thinking generator- many watts to run block heater?

Yeah, so I'm doing ok, but I don't want to shell out $8000 for an APU right now.

I got "caught" this past couple of weeks, however. If I were choosing my own loads I wouldn't have been in Michigan these past couple of weeks. But, I'm not choosing my own loads, and that's twice now I couldn't get my truck started. First time, I stayed in the motel a second day, walked across the street to Kmart and bought a battery charger and a 100 ft cord. Second time, no power outlet anywhere around. Long story short, $120 for the TA to come out and give me a jump (tried with another truck and couldn't do it) and $430 for new batteries and then realizing the ones I pulled out probably weren't bad afterall (only 19 months on them).

I'm supposed to get my Espar installed tomorrow. I'm thinking, a small gas generator might allow me to charge the batteries and heat the block and get me out of most any situation caused by the cold.

Questions, anyone know how many watts I'd need to heat my block? Anyone seen this done well, a standard portable generator being hauled around with a gallon of gas on the catwalk?

TIA
Old 01-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Board Member

I would recommend the Honda EU 2000. My block heater comes in two different wattage choices. I think 1000 watts or 1500 watts. C-15.
EU Honda's are the quietest on the market. 1000, 2000, 3000, watt model on the EU line. Most RV users would prefer the 3000 as it can run the A/C unit. The 1000 sometimes doesn't cut it if you run multiple items. The EU 2000 is in the middle and can handle almost all your truck needs, if you don't run a rooftop A/C unit. It is light enough to move around. The 3000 is pretty heavy to lug around, and the 1000 is nice and light to carry around.
If I am not mistaken they deliver pure sine power which is better. Overall, best portable generator on the market. 1000 is around $700, 2000 is around $1000, and 3000 is around, I don't know, $1700??? Mike has one, ask him. I think he said he loves it.

I have been thinking about getting a EU 1000, putting it in a diamond plate box mounted to the front of the van, with a lock.

My answer is 2000 watt generator or better.

P.S. Don't carry gas can in same box as generator.

Last edited by sidman82; 01-27-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Senior Board Member

I have the Honda eu3000is temporarily mounted on my catwalk. It works great and is super quiet, If I am parked next to other trucks I can't tell it's running. It has a 4 gallon tank and I can run about 24 hours straight on one tank or atleast 2 nights or more. I bought the battery charger cord for it and charge my batteries when it's running. It would defintely heat a block heater no problem.

I think you could get away with the eu2000i, but it will be a little louder. But it will also be much more portable than mine as it only weighs 43lbs and you could fit it in your side box, where mine weighs 130lbs and it can't really be moved by one person. If you went with the eu2000i it would not be able to run a rooftop AC unit which I am seriously considering for this summer. Also the 3000 has a econo throttle function which I use where it idles at 1/2 speed until more power is needed such as when I start the microwave or the toaster oven and the 2000 doesn't have that option. Both have true sine power which are safe for electronics such as a laptop. I carry a 2 1/2 gallon gas can that I just walk over to the gas pumps and fill up, some times I find a slow gas station and I just pull up and fill the generator at the pumps.

I paid $2,000 for my 3000 but I also bought it in the middle of a hurricane in Richmond,VA this year. I think you could get one for $1,700 and the 2000 you could get for $875 or so. Now if you bought the 2000 and then later wanted to add a rooftop AC you could add a second 2000 and hook them through a parallel cord which links 2 2000's toghther, and then you could run the AC no problem.

As you can see I smacked a trailer into mine(dummy).Need to mount it better,just waiting for warmer temps

HONDA EU3000is Portable Generator-RV-EU 3000-Brand New! - eBay (item 180323174603 end time Jan-30-09 16:40:19 PST)

HONDA EU2000i/EU2000/EU 2000 Portable Generator-NEW! - eBay (item 180323677502 end time Jan-28-09 16:42:25 PST)

Honda DC Charging Cord for EU1000i EU2000i EU3000is - eBay (item 260339014302 end time Jan-28-09 07:35:55 PST)

Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Board Regular

Agree with the other posters, other than I'm not sure I would carry a gas gen in the side box once it had fuel in it. Even a slight presence of gas fumes would not be good while you were sleeping or even driving, and it will have some fumes, even if all gas is run out or taken out.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Senior Board Member

Sounds like youwant an APU, but can't foot the whole bill, right? Thermo King finances them for a couple hundred a month. Prolly not the answer you're looking for, but a option nonetheless.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Board Regular

If I'm not mistaken, the Honda eu2000 fuel tank is small and sometimes won't get you through the night without re-fueling, depending on what you are running. I think some people who run 2 of them in parallel also add a larger tank.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Great, thanks. Especially appreciate the pics, Mike.

I've got 950,000 miles on this truck. It had engine work earlier, I add NO oil between changes, runs great, but it just isn't a good time for me to spend $8k right now, particularly on a higher miles truck. I'm trying to get away cheap but I don't know. There have been times when I left trucking for years and then came back to it. I can't say for sure I'll be out here a year from now. I don't have other plans, but I don't know, either.

A quick check of Google shopping, they're showing that 2000 for $1059. I've got the Espar for heat. I just need the generator to run for maybe four hours and heat my block, possibly charge my batteries. Just a vent in the top of my condo would do me for cooling in the summer.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM

I don't know if they still make it but Espar used to make an engine heater that was on a programable clock. For example, you could set it Friday to start up at 2:00am on Monday and have a warm engine by 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning.

I had one on an Intl. that I drove about 6 years ago and it worked very well.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnerdly View Post
I don't know if they still make it but Espar used to make an engine heater that was on a programable clock. For example, you could set it Friday to start up at 2:00am on Monday and have a warm engine by 4:00 or 5:00 in the morning.

I had one on an Intl. that I drove about 6 years ago and it worked very well.
Yep they still make them, I have one along with my bunk heater, works good. But in the colder temps if you sit for longer periods with the Espar running you will want something to help with batteries. Or maybe yellow top Optimas?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Mike,

Is your generator held down with just the straps? do you need to put something under it for the vibration?
Is their a battery charger built into it or do you have a charger by itself plugged into the generator?