Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
Kind of wonder what would happen to a Cummins or Detroit if it was put in a dozer. How long would they last ? Those construction hands climb up, fire it up then push the throttle to the stop and that's where it stays pushing dirt all day.
Over the years I have found Cats are a far tougher engine and will take more abuse than either of the others.

I think you have hit on the main reason so many people like CAT. Durability and toughness.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:42 AM

You can't short sell the Cummins though. I'd put a properly setup N-14 against a C-15 on a long grade.

Also Cummins builds a lot of stationary and industrial engines. A friend of mine works for a tree service company in here in Minnesota and they have several stump gringers that have the KT Cummins engines, all pushing in excess of 1000 HP and running 1800 RPM all day. If they were the least bit troublesome, he wouldn't keep buying them when he upgrades equipment. I also worked for a company many years ago that had a portable tire shredder that had an L-10 on it. There are also a lot of the small Cummins engines in skid-steer loaders. I don't recall the model but it's the four cylinder version of the engine Dodge put's in their Pickups.

I'm not knocking Cat, I just don't think their better then Cummins. Not in fuel economy, power, torque or cost per mile to operate.

Gun Control isn't about guns, It's about Control.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I do not doubt that Cummins makes a good engine. I think it is probably as much a matter of personal preference than actual difference. On the other hand I have seen more CAT engines that have gone over 1MM miles than Cummins or Detroit. I have spoken with a few who owned both who have stated they have gone over a million miles before an overhaul, but there have been a number of CAT owners who have told me that they have gone over a million miles. I met a driver in Denver at the CAT dealer a few years ago who was having sleeves put in his engine. At the time he had 1.3MM miles and still going strong.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkPete View Post
I have heard plenty of drivers discussing how much they enjoy driving their Volvos, Freightliners and Internationals. But then they start talking about these plastic trucks pulling better than Petes w/CAT's(379/388) and Kenworths w/CAT's(W-9). Can anyone who drives a PLASTIC truck explain to me why every time I'm in NC, TN, NM,AZ or some other mountainous state, and I see a oversized load, steel loads, most flatbed loads, their being pulled(with success) by a 379 or W-9. Sure there is an aero advantage and inside space advantage to the plastic trucks but, if you hauling panty hose and trapperkeeper notebooks to Walmart and you go flying up a mountain at 60mph, that ain't a test. I'm not saying these trucks can't pull the loads, but when I see them with heavy loads, 4-ways on, struggling, truck jerking every 5 second downshifting and jamming up the right lane.

If its not a PETE with a CAT, its a DOG!
Well, after I up-rated my CAT and did a DYNO tuning, my International 9400 beats pretty much everybody on hills. I drive 58 MPH everywhere - you can pass me on a plain, but I'll pass you on a hill I got 475 HP at 1,300 RPM and 550 HP at !425 RPM. So, I think it's not the type of the truck that matters. It's what engine is in it, and how the owner treats it. "Plastic' trucks as you call them are mostly fleet trucks, and fleets don't care much for power and/or torque.

Watch my YouTube videos
Old 01-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
My Cummins is a far better pulling machine. After all, if Cat was so good, they wouldn't be getting out of the business.
CAT is great... it's the government that sucks. Why is the government involved in engine building?

We'd all be running monster diesels if the government didn't meddle and the trans/clutch/diff mfrs. could make a product that could handle the power AND be lightweight.

I ran a hopped up NTC and my hotrod 3406 and I prefer the yellow one. Longer stroke = more torque.

Not knocking Cummins though. People love their ISX.