User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 05:32 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

From what I've seen with our older air compressor that puts out water, it can destroy anything that requires air to operate it. Shop has filters in place and drains the water traps every day, water still tends to come thru and has already ruined at least 1 air ratchet, 1 air gun and nearly took an air sander down. Water is very bad and yes, water in your tires is very bad.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I blew a tire earlier this year that had some water in it when the guy changed it. I can't help but wonder if the heat build up in summer could have caused additional pressure with the water, much like boiling water. The steam built up pressure and blew the tire apart. It is just a theory.
Interesting. It's the heated moisture in a kernel of corn that causes it to 'pop'.

I'm going to watch this from now on. I've been amazed (horrified) at how much water some of these air hoses shoot out.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Rookie
Exclamation

The way I solved this problem was to buy my own air line that glad-hands to the truck air. $20-$30. Before I bought this I was having to push the air chuck nipple in to express the water out, sometimes took a while, sometimes not. The reason I finally bought my own line was the problem of finding air at all. Now I got air on demand and its clean n dry.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragginMan View Post
The way I solved this problem was to buy my own air line that glad-hands to the truck air. $20-$30. Before I bought this I was having to push the air chuck nipple in to express the water out, sometimes took a while, sometimes not. The reason I finally bought my own line was the problem of finding air at all. Now I got air on demand and its clean n dry.
Like I said earlier, over 100 psi and I can't get mine to work. I have no idea why, the gauges in my truck go up to like 130psi. It is too hard to find air, and I'm not ready to lay out the cash for Crossfires. If I could get it to work off my gladhands, I'd just do that. What kind of pressures do you pump?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:20 AM
Board Regular

lowrange your air governor might be set a bit too low. Or the system pressure is down almost to the point of kicking in the compressor to build it back up to 120. Try bleeding off some more air from the truck until the compressor kicks in. Then when the dryer spits it's at full pressure. Should be 120.

Air your tires in the morning before you start driving and before the sun shines on them. You shouldn't have to be told this!

And 105 is too much air unless you run over 75 MPH steady or haul extremely overloaded where each tire bears more than 6,000 lbs. (that's 6,000 x 8 tires = 48,000 on a set of tandems!)
105 would be ok for steers on a setback front end.

If you run rock-hard tires for better mpg, you are sacrificing safety. Check the tire mfrs. load/inflation tables for proper tire inflation pressures for the maximum load you carry.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDaddy View Post
lowrange your air governor might be set a bit too low. Or the system pressure is down almost to the point of kicking in the compressor to build it back up to 120. Try bleeding off some more air from the truck until the compressor kicks in. Then when the dryer spits it's at full pressure. Should be 120.

Air your tires in the morning before you start driving and before the sun shines on them. You shouldn't have to be told this!

And 105 is too much air unless you run over 75 MPH steady or haul extremely overloaded where each tire bears more than 6,000 lbs. (that's 6,000 x 8 tires = 48,000 on a set of tandems!)
105 would be ok for steers on a setback front end.

If you run rock-hard tires for better mpg, you are sacrificing safety. Check the tire mfrs. load/inflation tables for proper tire inflation pressures for the maximum load you carry.
My gauges read 120 and I have the engine running and often I still can't seem to add pressure over 100psi

I just picked 105 for better fuel economy but haven't dared run the 110-115 I've heard others have. I don't know anything about it, really.