User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
One thing that doesn't add up is the fact that, as far as I can tell, the truck stops are just as packed every night as they have ever been.
I might be reading your post wrong but when I see a ton of trucks parked at the truck stop I always take it as a sign that freight isn't moving. Truck stops packed means they don't have anywhere to go. Many truckers DO go out on the road (as opposed to staying home) to try and make SOMETHING when times are slow.

Take Ontario, CA, for example. When the TAs are packed, freight is slow. When they're empty, freight is hopping. That's always been my way of sticking my finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety bird View Post
I might be reading your post wrong but when I see a ton of trucks parked at the truck stop I always take it as a sign that freight isn't moving. Truck stops packed means they don't have anywhere to go. Many truckers DO go out on the road (as opposed to staying home) to try and make SOMETHING when times are slow.

Take Ontario, CA, for example. When the TAs are packed, freight is slow. When they're empty, freight is hopping. That's always been my way of sticking my finger in the air to see which way the wind is blowing.
I appreciate that wisdom, I'd have gotten it backwards. I thought one of the perks of slow freight would be less traffic and ample parking. Truckstops full of drivers concerned they aren't making any money...not good. If it gets really bad, the trailer goes to the yard, the tractor to the house, my butt to the recliner.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Not sure, if it's "falling", but you got one less truck to compete, till spring. It's not worth, my time, and effort, so i'm parking it. And yes, i never did see it that slow!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo379 View Post
Not sure, if it's "falling", but you got one less truck to compete, till spring. It's not worth, my time, and effort, so i'm parking it. And yes, i never did see it that slow!
That's just smart if you can afford it. I for one will not be falling into despair, I'm going to roll with this.

The plan:

Work as much as I can. Monthly bills aren't high, a little work will keep me afloat. If that doesn't work, I look into a company job. If that doesn't work, I look into going to Wyoming or Alaska or anywhere there actually is work. If that doesn't work, chill out at the house, grow a garden and put a wood stove back in the house. Whatever has to be done, just roll with it. Wouldn't mind enjoying the remodelled house and my big screen TV for awhile.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Think a lot of it is what you haul (what kind of equipment you have) and your contacts. I shut down for the year at the end of last month, yep I am lucky and have truck/trailer and house paid off, and had planned to do it anyway as I hate waiting out weather with OD loads. Duno how many calls I have had from agent wanting me to haul loads before the end of the year, dozen or more, in the last 3 weeks.
Best advise I can give is that with equipment as cheap as it is right now, and if you can swing it, get as specialized as you can ! The last freight to recover is going to be the freight with the most equipment around, two axle vans, two axle flats etc.
Oh, and as an aside, my GF makes a run for the phone when it rings. Think she is trying to commit me to any load to get me outa the house Thursday decided a nice picture window in the rec. room would be good so took my chain saw and made the opening now just can't decide on the window I want, have a blue tarp over it though
Old 12-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
Think a lot of it is what you haul (what kind of equipment you have) and your contacts. I shut down for the year at the end of last month, yep I am lucky and have truck/trailer and house paid off, and had planned to do it anyway as I hate waiting out weather with OD loads. Duno how many calls I have had from agent wanting me to haul loads before the end of the year, dozen or more, in the last 3 weeks.
Best advise I can give is that with equipment as cheap as it is right now, and if you can swing it, get as specialized as you can ! The last freight to recover is going to be the freight with the most equipment around, two axle vans, two axle flats etc.
Oh, and as an aside, my GF makes a run for the phone when it rings. Think she is trying to commit me to any load to get me outa the house Thursday decided a nice picture window in the rec. room would be good so took my chain saw and made the opening now just can't decide on the window I want, have a blue tarp over it though
She's trying to get you to leave? You don't say? :lol:
Old 12-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

Narrow attitude
Old 12-16-2008, 06:05 AM
Board Regular

Things are slow and quite bad.Freight been slow even in the reefer business as i thought the food business would be able to stay stronger than anything else.But there is so much competition that whatever is being offered as freight disappears instantly from load boards.Expect the worse before its going to get better.Thankfully i got a broker that's taking care of me most of the time at decent rates.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Board Member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep dixie blue View Post
One thing that doesn't add up is the fact that, as far as I can tell, the truck stops are just as packed every night as they have ever been.
The truck stops are packed here in NV because we cant get across Sierra Nevada mtns to
pickup the loads.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Senior Board Member

[QUOTE=lowrange;428239]At the risk of killing a good Country and Western song, this guy must not have owned anything anyway. I know two people who went through bankrupcy, it's amazing how easy it is. That might help someone. Either his wife took everything or he was making payments on everything, people go through bankrupcy and keep most of what they own. I don't want to throw the thread off, I'm just trying to keep it realistic. These guys doing so poorly, why weren't they in a company truck? How far into the ground do you drive yourself before you think, 'hm, maybe I ought to change something'.

This is very common in o/o circles.