Old 12-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Good question. I was wondering that myself. I've not needed one, so I had no idea either. :lol:
Here are some FAQs about twic.
TSA: Frequently Asked Questions

For those who are not familiar with the TWIC. It is the Transportation Workers Identification Card. There are only a handful of locations across the country where you can get a card. Those who possess the cards have supposedly gone through an extensive FBI background check. It is the same for the hazmat background check. They are essentially the same background check with a different fee.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member

I have one ready to be picked up...only because it was a comany requirement.

Oh, and GMAN...I also wonder HOW that information is being used.

I had a MI driver tell me that when he picked his up they had a "special" room set up and were arresting some who came in for their cards due to things such as back child support, missed court dates, oustanding fines, etc....
Old 12-12-2008, 02:15 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I have been wondering for some time about where all of this information is stored and how it is being used. I have suspected from the beginning that the government is building a database on those possessing a CDL. It is all about control. It is much easier to compile data on individuals when they willingly supply the information themselves. In some cases you either supply the information or you don't work. Some carriers are forcing some drivers to get a TWIC before hiring them. That also includes owner operators who lease to them. The hazmat endorsement is the same thing. The main reason we are being forced to get these two items is money. There is absolutely no reason to do one background check much less two. All the government really needs to do is run a background check when you get your license. It will tell them anything that they really need to know. There is a lot of information the government wants to collect that they are not entitled to know or have a need to gather. Rather than concerning themselves about drivers entering the ports they should spend more time inspecting containers before they reach our shores. We have seen in recent years how well the government safegards our data. There have been instances where computers have been stolen from cars with sensitive data by people who should never have had the information in the first place. We have also seen computer hackers get into databases of major banks and investment companies. I see no reason why we should trust them with more information when they have shown that they cannot safegard the information they have already collected that we should trust them with additional information.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:36 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
In speaking to the Senate Intelligence Committee, Kerr said that Americans can't expect to have privacy, because people give up so much information online already.

"Protecting anonymity isn't a fight that can be won.

Anyone that's typed in their name on Google understands that."

The message is clear: Give up.
Privacy Rights: Trust government?
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Senior Board Member

This won't be for everyone, but it seems like the clearest lay of the land I know. The first time was just overload, but the second time...it just started making sense.

Remember the Maastricht Treaty, when Europe was transforming from a continent to a country? I mean, c'mon, they have a single currency and decisions from the EU OVERRULE decisions made in each individual country...er...state.

Again, it's not for everyone:

End Game - Google Video#
Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
I lost a couple of loads this week due to not having a TWIC.
I would suggest that as we continue into this uncertain economic situation that available loads that meet your criteria(min haul rate, lanes, etc)will likely decrease and you voluntarily removing all TWIC loads from consideration might haunt you down the road. Or I could be talking out my butt and you will never notice. But it is a possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN View Post
If Lockheed Martin is doing both programs then they are generating a potential revenue stream of more than $200 million. That is more than $200,000,000. That is a lot of revenue. I am not sure that it does anything other than make money for the contractor and government. It adds more that $200 for every CDL holder who chooses to pay the tax.
I feel kinda dirty about my twic now. Very good questions indeed and I have no answers.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am not saying that I will never pay the TWIC tax. I did let my hazmat go today. I would have kept it but didn't want to spend the money to be on some huge database. I came very close to paying the hazmat tax but opted today to not do it. My license expires in a few days and I didn't want to pay the additional tax. I haven't hauled a hazmat load in perhaps 5 years or even longer. Hazmat usually doesn't may much more if any at all and I don't think I want to pay the extra for the endorsement. If I decided to lease back on with a carrier such as Landstar then I would need to spend the money for the endorsement. I think that I pay enough taxes. I don't want to be on another database that can be accessed by anyone who happens to want it. I am not saying that no one else should pay the tax for the TWIC or hazmat, but as of now I have no plans for doing it.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylandkw View Post
I would suggest that as we continue into this uncertain economic situation that available loads that meet your criteria(min haul rate, lanes, etc)will likely decrease and you voluntarily removing all TWIC loads from consideration might haunt you down the road. Or I could be talking out my butt and you will never notice. But it is a possibility.I feel kinda dirty about my twic now. Very good questions indeed and I have no answers.

If you plan on doing business with the ports then it will be necessary to have the TWIC. I am making plans where I won't need it. On the other hand there may be more loads that I could lose if I don't get the card. None of my drivers have the card. One was planning on getting one but if we make the changes we plan then it won't be necessary and we won't be doing business with the ports. As far as I am concerned I am tired that every time I turn around I am hit with a forced tax just because of my profession. The government is also planning on pushing through these black boxes and speed limiters for all trucks in the U.S. I just get tired of all the mandates. This industry has so many rules and regulations that it is difficult for us to run our businesses for having to comply with all of their useless rules and regulations. OK, enough of my rant.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

What get me is that the TWIC's, Hazmat and Fast card all require the same "Background investigation" but don't carry over.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:53 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking Eagle View Post
What get me is that the TWIC's, Hazmat and Fast card all require the same "Background investigation" but don't carry over.

It they carried over the government would not make nearly as much money. Besides, this way we can feel three times as safe and secure. :roll: