User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 05:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I am glad that prices have dropped from a personal fueling stand point. From my business stand point, I hate that prices have dropped. I got a better net from having the price way up there. With a solid fuel surcharge I got, and getting a half way decent mpg, I was actually taking home more with the higher fuel price.

Oh well, I will not complain. At least most people do not have to choose between a luxury item once in a while or fueling the family car like they were having to do when fuel was high. Of course that is assuming they haven't lost their job in this economy.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by floored View Post
Cost me $24.50 to fill up my car today

Be nice if diesel would be cheaper than gas again, I still don't really get why its higher when its costs to produce are less??
Because it is in more of a demand world wide than gas is. heck, Europe ships a lot of gas they produce to us because they primarily are on diesel for most vehicles. Not really sure that diesel costs less to produce. A certain amount of diesel, gas, and other items are in each barrel of crude. You just can't determine how much of what product you want out of a barrel of oil. Refining is just a matter of separating out the various products. Then you have to remove the sulfer to get diesel into the ULSD levels that our illustrious government demands.

If you have noticed for any length of time, that in normal years, diesel always went up in price in the fall. Because some of it was diverted to home heating oil. Both are of the same distillate class, and you can only get so much out of each barrel of oil.

I guess you could say that diesel is a byproduct of gas production. If you are primarily refining a barrel of oil for gasoline. The reverse is true though. If you are primarily refining crude for diesel, then gas is a byproduct, along with naptha and other products. It's all in the perspective.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Board Member

What isn't a good sign is that my company is bitching more now about watching where we fuel up (to get a lower price) than they did when it was $5+/gal. I had to have a meeting with one of the owners because I fueled up at the T/A in Willington, CT because my truck was running on empty. Sad thing is that we don't use our EFS cards now (only use TCH), but the Pilot just up the highway in Mass was .35/gal cheaper
Old 12-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I just heard on the news that some think that $1/gallon gas is possible in the short term. It would be nice of diesel would get down that low if rates would stay up. It is a real shame that these major investors are getting a bailout. I would like to see Congress get some intestinal fortitude and do the right thing by stopping any more payments to these banks and certainly not make any sort of loan to the automakers.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Board Regular

It's coming......:lol:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,462284,00.html
Old 12-05-2008, 05:44 PM
Board Icon

Now days, there are so much more using Diesel. There are so many pickups, cars that run on Diesel, and all those floosy doosy big whoppin motor homes. I see I don't know how many of those high dollar RVs every day. I wouldn't know how to prove it, but I've always heard that it costs less to make Diesel.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Board Regular

From Facts On Fuel

Quote:
Q. Will ULSD fuel be more expensive than the current Low Sulfur Diesel fuel?
A. ULSD fuel costs more to refine and distribute than Low Sulfur Diesel fuel. No one can predict with certainty the price of ULSD fuel at the pump. Many factors affect the consumer price of fuels, including the price of crude oil on the global market, geopolitical, weather, transportation and economic events, as well as supply and demand. Visit the Energy Information Administration web site for more information on fuel prices.
And here's the EIA website on it...lots of good info here....

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/bro...sel/index.html

I know, I know, BD...I'm just a heathen company driver...

Last edited by TomB985; 12-05-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackrabbit379 View Post
Now days, there are so much more using Diesel. There are so many pickups, cars that run on Diesel, and all those floosy doosy big whoppin motor homes. I see I don't know how many of those high dollar RVs every day. I wouldn't know how to prove it, but I've always heard that it costs less to make Diesel.

And also my '06 Jeep Liberty Diesel. Nothing like having a 4300# four wheel drive that can take on a lot of mud and snow, and still have the ability to easily pull a 300 gallon fuel wagon on my farm, has more torque than most small V8's, and has a cast iron block, wet sleeved, bosch common rail fuel injection, and holset turbo. All of it designed to be a 300,000 mile engine. Even though it's a 2.8L diesel, they had to use the 545 RFE transmission from behind the 5.7L HEMI engine. Got it for only $500 more than the standard 3.7L gasser model and I get over 30 mpg with it on trips. Too bad the government got involved and added more regulations so that Jeep had to discontinue it after '06. Now this is one of types of vehicles that would pull the auto industry out of its slump.

Oh.... did I mention that I just use fuel from the trucks tanks to fill the Jeep up? Not bad. great vehicle and get to write off the fuel. What a country!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Down to 40 and change and I hope it goes to 5 bucks. Those guys made there money, believe me they did. A lot of people did. Now dammit gimme cheap fuel!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:25 AM
Board Icon

I remember hearing that Exxon Mobile made such-n-such hundred billion in 3 months, this summer?

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 12-07-2008 at 02:26 AM. Reason: blah