User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
Yes - I'm running Centramatics on every position on the tractor.
Do you think the centramatics are worth it? If so, why?
I just priced them out and holy cow there more than I thought, but could be money well spent in the long run. I've replaced all the tires on the trailer but two and what I want to do is move my steers back and get a new set of steer tires. My steers are probably 90 percent but they did sit a while so that's why I want to move them back. Piece of mind really.I'd like to get a good set of steer tires and maybe centramatics on the steer axle to help the longevity of the tire.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Board Icon

I think they are worth it. The technology behind them makes sense. Since I run a lot of the North states, the tires have a tendency to pick up snow. That would throw the balancing on the tire off if I were to use conventional weights. I got 130,000 miles out of my last set of steers, and it would have been more had I not had a bad shock cause them to wear unevenly (at 60,000 miles, which was when I put the centramatics on). The steers I have on now still look brand new.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Board Member
Location: In my own little world, that rides right behind the cab.

I run them all around on the tractor and think they help. I get the tires spin balanced when I have them mounted but feel they keep everything in balance. About every 6 months I rotate tires, drives X wise and steers R to L and find that helps to as everything is always a little "off".
Old 12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I don't think that I have met anyone who has tried the Centranaonics who didn't like them.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Centramatics do a great job, IMO. When you get your tires balanced, unless they do it mounted it's not going to be quite right. If they take the tires off to balance them, they're balancing the tires but not the entire wheel assembly. If you do both- get them balanced AND use Centramatics, you're better off. The loose sand (or whatever it is) in the Centramatics act as balancing agents while the truck is rolling down the road (obviously this doesn't happen if you're going really slow- like rolling around the parking lot).

You don't need to remove the Centramatics when you get your tires balanced. The two options don't cancel each other out.

Last edited by tweety bird; 12-12-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: add detail