User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

The company truck I drive will turn 900k miles this week. It still looks relatively good, though it could use having a litle bit of body work: the front bumper is chipped up (but complete), the bottom fairings have worn through in a few places. Mechanically, though, wouldn't bother me a bit. The engine runs great (inframe about 250k miles ago), transmission shift perfect (rebuilt about 50k ago), both rears replaced about 60k ago.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Most trucks that have that many miles have had some work done on them. I have seen some trucks with 2-3 million miles on them that have literally been rebuilt several times and still making money. I met a guy once who worked for Allied Systems some years ago. He told me that Allied would rebuild an engine several times before getting rid of them. They were still making money.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio rob View Post
have been driving for a company for about a year .want to purchase a used tractor of my own to start my own owner /operator bussiness any one have time to give me any pointers? whats next after I purchase truck? any info would be greatly appreciated...

What's next? How about what's first. Make an appointment with a knowledgable trucking accountant to discuss your business planning, financial goals and risks. Make an appointment with a knowledgable trucking attorney to discuss your legal options, responsibilities and risks. Talk with several truck dealers and knowledgable trucking insurance underwriters and learn whether their proposals fit your business plan.

Bring everything back to the accountants and have them set up a system of accounts. Plug in the numbers and give yourself a realistic view of how things will work . . worst, best and typical scenarios. Make your next move on the basis of what you know . . not on what you feel or wish to be true.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
The company truck I drive will turn 900k miles this week. It still looks relatively good, though it could use having a litle bit of body work: the front bumper is chipped up (but complete), the bottom fairings have worn through in a few places. Mechanically, though, wouldn't bother me a bit. The engine runs great (inframe about 250k miles ago), transmission shift perfect (rebuilt about 50k ago), both rears replaced about 60k ago.
That's what Cyanide said just before he bought his company truck. Then the crankshaft let go less than a after he bought the truck and now he's back in a company truck.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Board Member
Unhappy

Have you bought a $20,000 truck? If so, what kind of luck did you have?

yes I have. paid $15,250 in 99' for a 95 intl. all original. nothing done to truck. lasted 1.1 mil before I had anything done to it. the original clutch was still in it until 1.1 mil. just had work done to it after the 1.1 mark. other than normal wear items. where I get this from is not just from my own experience, you could say I have just been lucky, along with great care for my truck. I have heard from so many drivers over the years, who would look at my old truck & say... you know I had an old truck like that & it was paid for & not a thing wrong with it, I dont know why I got rid of it & now have a payment. just wanted something newer & nicer, but I can barley make the payments. this is a common story I hear.

you can do well with a $15,000 truck & you can well with a $80,000 truck. the question is will you? generaly speaking. for me it was I'm going to give the $15,000 truck a try based on advive from wise folks & my own common sense & logic based on my perception & experience. as far as investing, I would not have recommended the stock market. it would have been something different wich I have a few post somehwere on the board about it. trucking, the housing market ,or the economy in any way has not affected my investments, wich by the way those investments were made possible by monies made from a $ 15,000 truck.

as far as rates always getiing cut... as you say... rates get cut to get freight.. when freight is abundandt, there is a lot less cutting. that was my point. not that they only get cut in these times. but I will tell you that the way I got into this business & the way I maintained it , is why I am still in it & why I can weather any slow period for months if need be.

I an relativley young.. I'm new wave , but old school. & a lil ole fashioned.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I'm running the numbers for a couple of months to see if it'll work out for me to buy a truck where I'm currently employed as a company driver. I was talking to our shop foreman today about buying a truck and he said to definitely talk to the owners about the possibility of buying the truck I'm already in (which I had planned on doing). Our shop is GREAT on the maintenance of the trucks. They have an A service every 7k miles and a B service every 21k miles. If I get the truck, I'll definitely stick really close to those numbers. They do an oil analysis with every oil change and he showed me a couple sets of the readouts from them - this truck has stayed dead-on the same since the day they bought it over 4 years ago. Also, this truck has had the engine, transmission and both rears redone within the past few years. Not to mention the fact that I KNOW the truck - I've been in it for going on 1.5 years now.

Sure, it's an older truck (2002) with 900k miles on it. Would I trust the truck? In a heartbeat.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Our shop is GREAT on the maintenance of the trucks. They have an A service every 7k miles and a B service every 21k miles. If I get the truck, I'll definitely stick really close to those numbers. They do an oil analysis with every oil change and he showed me a couple sets of the readouts from them - this truck has stayed dead-on the same since the day they bought it over 4 years ago. Also, this truck has had the engine, transmission and both rears redone within the past few years. Not to mention the fact that I KNOW the truck - I've been in it for going on 1.5 years now.

Sure, it's an older truck (2002) with 900k miles on it. Would I trust the truck? In a heartbeat.
Again....seems like Cyanide felt this way too. Go read his thread about buying his truck and being an o/o with Superior. Seriously. Bottom line is, with 900K on the clock, the odds are against the truck. I don't care how well it was maintained, everything on a truck like that is worn out, so if it has not already been replaced, you will have to do it.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rank View Post
Again....seems like Cyanide felt this way too. Go read his thread about buying his truck and being an o/o with Superior. Seriously. Bottom line is, with 900K on the clock, the odds are against the truck. I don't care how well it was maintained, everything on a truck like that is worn out, so if it has not already been replaced, you will have to do it.

I say there! I SAY !! AMEN Brother Rank! AMEN !!

953,297 miles on my 01 ITH 9400. If I don't get some serious TLC done every 6 to 8 weeks...the bills simply get bigger. Have run for 9 weeks since last work was done...am getting more done now...put the truck in the shop this afternoon for some of that TLC. :tears::tears::tears:
Old 11-20-2008, 03:34 AM

I run for a guy that gets his loads from J.B. Hunt and I pull there trailers from the rail yard. I'm home everyday and still making good money with plenty of freight, though it has slowed down a little bit. As far as buying a cheap truck, I'm selling a 99' international 9200i. Its a daycab so Im sure not many people are in to buying daycabs but i'm asking $19,000. It just received a complete in-frame about 30k ago, it has new tires all the way around, new turbo, new exhaust manifold, new radiator, new waterpump, new u-joints, in-dash dvd/GPS, new head, new camshaft and followers, all repairs and parts have less than 35k on them and I have all the receipts to prove it. Its not going to win the sexiest truck award but its a very good truck for less than $20k. So you can buy a good work truck thats not expensive but is reliable. Just be careful and have the truck checked out throughly before you buy it. Hope this helps!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Board Icon

I've got a nice 2004 379 Pete with 222,000 on the odometer that I'll reluctantly part with for $80,000....:thumbsup: