User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Going O/O ??

I have completed my training, and just waiting to be assigned a truck. I've seen gas prices fall $2 over the course of a few weeks. Desiel is actually getting better (still high), and my mentor showed me how he was paying $0.70/gal out of pocket. Was pulling almost $1500 home a week after his truck payment, fuel cost and his deposit into his maintence account.

I was wondering, with the fuel prices getting better, is it now time to start thinking of going O/O?? I cannot go that route for another 6 months, but if i can make almost twice as much, and it seems get more miles than company drivers (cause DMs know you want/NEED to run miles to pay for the truck, etc.) might seem well worth it.

any advice from O/Os? Why do i hear lots of drivers say 'dont go with a lease thru the company.."??
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0915 View Post
I have completed my training, and just waiting to be assigned a truck. I've seen gas prices fall $2 over the course of a few weeks. Desiel is actually getting better (still high), and my mentor showed me how he was paying $0.70/gal out of pocket. Was pulling almost $1500 home a week after his truck payment, fuel cost and his deposit into his maintence account.

I was wondering, with the fuel prices getting better, is it now time to start thinking of going O/O?? I cannot go that route for another 6 months, but if i can make almost twice as much, and it seems get more miles than company drivers (cause DMs know you want/NEED to run miles to pay for the truck, etc.) might seem well worth it.

any advice from O/Os? Why do i hear lots of drivers say 'dont go with a lease thru the company.."??
I have no words......................................:hellno :
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Senior Board Member

why is it everytime someone gets on here and asks a simple question, all they get is shit on? or stupid fukin answers? thank you for your insight.....anyone else want to give me worthless information based upon nothing?

what does me having just completed my training and waiting to be assigned a truck have anything to do with your responce? can a guy not look 'down the road'?? is it not a good idea to start getting GOOD information about something that someone else might like to consider??? hell, did anywhere in my first post say anything about "i am for sure going to go O/O". .... WOW.....

almost feel as if it is a waste of time to bother posting anything on here asking for helpfull information....cause i have a good feeling i wont get it.

Last edited by Kevin0915; 11-01-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Board Member
Smile

Quote:
.... WOW.....

Relax Kevin! You'll live longer, and might learn something!
There was at least a hundred of pages in this forum, on the subject, and you could do a "search"!
If after that, you'll still have a questions, you are more than welcome to ask!
For now, since you are have no idea, what you are talking about, I'm considering it waste of time.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Rookie

Have you tried to search the o/o forum, you can get alot of information doing that. Be kinda nice to have a little more info about nothing, lol. O/O is a little more than just driving to make 1500 a week, it has to do with running a business too. Just my 2 cents in. Beat me to the search button, haha
Old 11-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Let me see If I can put Big Diesels thought into more words. $1500 take home after his:
1. Truck payment
2. Fuel cost
3. Maintainence Fund

What about?
1. Insurance
2. Income Taxes
3. License and Registration
4. Chrome
5. All the other little things that "add up" that I can't come up with right now. Rev or Gman will have a list of stuff I forgot.

And this $1500.00 Does that include any extra pay he recieves for having you with him. His $1500 might only be $1300 not having a second driver or training pay. I have watched owner operators all my driving career and have asked alot of questions and have come close to the conclusion that I may be close to buying my own truck within 2 years. Finding a truck is the easy part.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Senior Board Member

that is one thing he preached about, was running the truck as a business. Staying away from truck stops, paying $4 for a $1.25 PB&J...etc. Chrome? Dunno, right now i see it as a waste of money, but then again, if you take serious pride in ones truck, it is a nice way to spiff it up, i guess.

guess, i should just quit asking for advise and stop coming to this site looking for information and just drive for a year.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
that is one thing he preached about, was running the truck as a business. Staying away from truck stops, paying $4 for a $1.25 PB&J...etc. Chrome? Dunno, right now i see it as a waste of money, but then again, if you take serious pride in ones truck, it is a nice way to spiff it up, i guess.

guess, i should just quit asking for advise and stop coming to this site looking for information and just drive for a year.
CAD has a lot of good information, Kevin.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:53 PM

In this economy, just be glad you have a job.

The freight market is drying up quick, and just make sure your ready for the possiability to not work for a few months if the market falls any more.

I'm have no bills, everything is paid for over the last 4 years, so i can park the paid trucks outside my paid house and watch the world pass me buy if needed, as long as my IRA holds up