User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I was thinking of books more directly related to the specific crisis. A post mortem if you will.
Old 10-25-2008, 06:59 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I was thinking of books more directly related to the specific crisis. A post mortem if you will.
I think the entire public needs a basic understanding of economics and the economic history of the U.S. if we want to have any intelligent public discourse.

The flat-out lack of the most basic knowledge I encounter is scary. Sometimes I think real estate agents are more poorly informed than truck drivers. Then I go to a certain message board for truckers (no, not this one) and change my mind.

I think you should read Galbraith. The man was brilliant, (especially for a conservative) his analysis of 1929, and the similarities that exist today makes for wonderful reading. His book was written in the mid 1950's, I think it will take 20 years before we can really come to undestand exactly how badly we f^&$ed ourselves up here and admit how we did it.

Of course, there are those who will never admit it. That's why the pattern repeats itself.

-Jack Kerouac, "Mexico City Blues"
Old 10-25-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Americans elected a oil man form an oil family that has close ties to some of the biggest players from the largest oil producing countries in the world are then upset because the oil companies get their way?
Damn it boy...you nailed it :thumbsup:

Odd the price of crude has dropped some 49% but prices have dropped on 29% ain't it ?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3fan View Post
Americans elected a oil man form(from) an oil family that has close ties to some of the biggest players from the largest oil producing countries in the world are then upset because the oil companies get their way?

GMan said;
Quote:

I think increasing our drilling domestically could lower prices. The main reason is because OPEC would like to keep prices below what it would cost us to become more self sufficient. I recall a few years ago when oil was around $25/barrel. The U.S. was talking about pulling oil from shale and the cost threshhold along with the cost of efficiently producing alternatives using ethanol, etc., Prices dropped just below the cost of producing these other alternatives and extracting from shale. This worked for several years. They would go beyond the threshhold and when the talk started prices ebbed just below that figure.

I do agree that much of the reasoning for drilling domestically has a lot to do with keeping money within North America. It is in our interests to keep our money closer to home. Canada and Mexico are two of our largest trading partners. It would be much better to keep that money within this hemisphere.

I also agree with Stan about ownership of most of the major oil companies being foreign owned. Prices escalated dramatically once these oil companies were allowed to merge with foreign oil companies. They don't have any loyalty to U.S. interests. Something so vital to U.S. security should not be controlled by foreign entities. Congress has been asleep at the wheel. They should never have allowed these companies to merge.
While Mike3 is right...America elected George Bush to the office of President of the United States......President Bush had nothing to do with the majority of the Oil Company mergers. His administration didn't even have a hand in the approval process. That fell to President Clinton...and the head of the Federal Trade Commission....whom was appointed by G.H.W. Bush, in 1990, and whom Clinton left as head of the FTC, the entire time he was in office.

And that right there is what excuses Congress, in GMan's statement. If Clinton had appointed someone different to head the FTC, while he held the position of POTUS, all those mergers may not have been approved.

Unless Congress specificly takes action to stop a merger, it is all handled by the FTC.

G is also correct about Foreign Oil Companies not holding the best interests of the United States in high regards. National Sovereignty does not count with a foreign company. America's natural resources should be handled in the manner as Mexico's natural resources, or Spains natural resources...or Saudi Arabias natural resources.