User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I have hauled some containers on the left coast for around $2/mile, but I doubt they were paying those leased to them that rate. This was running from up around Portland to Oakland. I also run my own authority. If they were paying me $2/mile then an owner operator would likely have been paid around $1.50/mile or less with their own trailer.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Board Regular

Back on the road, Before you get to far in make sure you have a TWIC card, be tough to have everything ready to go then have to wait 4-6 weeks on a card so you can get in the port.

https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/
Old 10-19-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Duty View Post
Back on the road, Before you get to far in make sure you have a TWIC card, be tough to have everything ready to go then have to wait 4-6 weeks on a card so you can get in the port.

https://twicprogram.tsa.dhs.gov/TWICWebApp/

Heavy Duty,

Good Point, and should not be a problem considering I have held a Confidential Clearance with the Dep of Defense for 26 years. Definately a must have now though... Thanks for the heads up !
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM

A couple of these posts regarding conatiners suggest that the O/O has their own trailer. I always thought the conatiner company provided the chassis. Don't really know for sure.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:37 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I think most of the container carriers furnish the chassis or trailers. Some may not. They would pay less to the owner operator if they furnished the trailers.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Rookie

please tell me how much mental help i need. very spoiled being home every weekend. i don't want this to sound like i'm complaining about the company i'm leased to because it's of my own decision! i'm leased to a container company whose corporate office is in charlotte, nc. overall average for me is $1.30 per mile for every hub mile driven, with fuel costs of $0.577 cents per mile at 6.22 mpg c-15 W900L at 63 mph
they look for every chance they can to bill you for their sorry tires. i average 63% loaded 29% empty and the rest bobtail. i keep my out of route miles to a very minimum, stay out through the week, no eating out, pull as light of loads available. (non forced dispatch)

they do what they say they will and that's good but they keep half the national fuel surcharge and keep half the detention pay charged to the customer and half the hazmat. detention is $40.00 per hour after 2 hours waiting from appointment time and $50.00 extra for hazmat loads. you buy your own tag, pay your own fuel taxes, $1500.00 escrow.
Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
please tell me how much mental help i need. very spoiled being home every weekend. i don't want this to sound like i'm complaining about the company i'm leased to because it's of my own decision! i'm leased to a container company whose corporate office is in charlotte, nc. overall average for me is $1.30 per mile for every hub mile driven, with fuel costs of $0.577 cents per mile at 6.22 mpg c-15 W900L at 63 mph
they look for every chance they can to bill you for their sorry tires. i average 63% loaded 29% empty and the rest bobtail. i keep my out of route miles to a very minimum, stay out through the week, no eating out, pull as light of loads available. (non forced dispatch)

they do what they say they will and that's good but they keep half the national fuel surcharge and keep half the detention pay charged to the customer and half the hazmat. detention is $40.00 per hour after 2 hours waiting from appointment time and $50.00 extra for hazmat loads. you buy your own tag, pay your own fuel taxes, $1500.00 escrow.

You are getting robbed on the FSC, as an owner operator that is your money unless the company is paying for your fuel. I think that the ICC might have something to say about the way they are handling your fuel surcharge.

From the looks of your avatar hopefully you have moved on to flatbed work. If so, that is most assuredly a better return for your time and effort.